Driving with rear hatch open

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
Is it OK to drive with the rear glass flipped open at highway speed for a few hundred miles? I have something to carry tomorrow that will require this.
Sponsored

txroamer

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Wrangler (sold to nephew), 2018 JLUR, 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, 2018 Charger ScatPack 392, 2015 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Road Glide
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure the glass is not subject to bouncing. It really stresses the hydraulic supports and connectors.

Sangiuolo11

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
It’s fine I’ve done it on my 2012 wrangler for years and already took a long drive to the beach with it open in my JL. Good to go. No bouncing at all

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
It’s fine I’ve done it on my 2012 wrangler for years and already took a long drive to the beach with it open in my JL. Good to go. No bouncing at all
@Mojito Mojo
@Sangiuolo11

JL rear hatch window is a whole different animal then the JK's.

JL's is far, far more apt to break if window flexes, say if you hit a good bump.

I would not chance riding with it open. It's supports are not made for such also.

Sure like jay walking you can probably.. hopefully get away with it. I wouldn't try it with my JL.

Sponsored

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
JL's is far, far more apt to break if window flexes, say if you hit a good bump.
You mean not EVERYTHING on the JL is an improvement over the JK?;) lol

Sangiuolo11

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
@Mojito Mojo
@Sangiuolo11

I would not chance riding with it open. It's supports are not made for such also.

Sure like jay walking you can probably.. hopefully get away with it. I wouldn't try it with my JL.
True on the breaking of the window flexes on a big bump but most likely wouldn’t have the glass open on a ride that could consist of that.

Obviously can’t be too sure of what surprises you’re going to find or run into/over on the road lol but so far so good a couple thousand miles in (knock on wood)