Sponsored

DIY Horn

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I have a DIY project that I found on YouTube where I can make a custom horn with a sound card and have up to 11 switches. One switch for each sound.

I was able to test the sound card by using the aux port and played the sounds with the Jeep speakers. The problem I'm having is with the little amp. I need to get power to it and I'm not really sure how to get it done.

Should I run a wire from the battery to the amp? What's the best way to do this? I tried to find a firewall to run the wire the other day but I'm not sure really where to go. If anyone has any pictures, that would help.

I found a place in the hood to mount the horn, so I can also run that wire to the amp if I can figure out where the firewall is. Once I get it wired up, I need to find out where to mount all the switches.
Amp.jpg
Horn.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Warhawk

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JLUR
Occupation
Data Engineer / Application Developer
I have a DIY project that I found you YouTube where I can make a custom horn with a sound card and have up to 10 switches. One switch for each sound.

I was able to test the sound card by using the aux port and played the sounds with the Jeep speakers. The problem I'm having is with the little amp. I need to get power to it and I'm not really sure how to get it done. Should I run a wire from the battery to the amp? What's the best way to do this? I tried to find a firewall to run the wire the other day but I'm not sure really where to go. If anyone has any pictures, that would help. I found a place in the hood to mount the horn, so I can also run that wire to the amp if I can figure out where the firewall is. Once I get it wired up, I need to find out where to mount all the switches.
The “firewall” is the the wall between the engine and passenger compartments.

In the passenger side footwell, there is a wire loom that is already going through the firewall. Just push a coat hanger, or something similar (just make sure it isn’t sharp), through the rubber grommet and use it to pull the wire through.

In the drivers side, there is a cut out. Not sure where as I always go passenger side. You would need to find a grommet to fit that side and then feed the wire through.

I believe Quadratec, or some other off-road site, has a video of installing the Mopar Aux Switches. It shows the passenger side firewall hole.

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
Google "amp wiring kit" so you can see what size wire to use, and what size fuse to use. Try to use less than a foot of wire between the battery and the fuse. The fuse protects the battery from the rest of the wire if it shorts to ground. Lastly, use a good ground point close to the amp. Bare metal is a must. Good luck.

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

After almost 1 year, I finally got this project up and running. I still need to find a better spot for the switches but I just wanted to finally push some buttons.

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you can understand how I wired this, let me know if you see any errors or have suggestions.
I'm switching from the momentary push button switch to the momentary on-off-on switch so that I have 5 switches instead of 10.
I have a dash cam mirror going to the other 12 volt outlet adapter.
Updated Wiring.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Equipment has been sitting in the garage but I finally finished this project almost one year later.
All wired up and switches are by the center console.
20190919_233659.jpg

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
For the sirens and back up alarm, do they play for a set time or until you push the button again?

I totally would have made one a cow sound.

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For the sirens and back up alarm, do they play for a set time or until you push the button again?

I totally would have made one a cow sound.
You have options. Mine are set to basic trigger. Push it once and it will play whatever you put on it.
You would probably want to use hold looping or latching trigger.
Screenshot_20190924-064627_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: