Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So I just threw down bedliner in my interior, and with the gap hider gone I don't think it will sleep comfortably anymore.

My current Idea is to make a small box probably 4" high across the back and run piano hinges so I can still get to my lower compartments, as well and another board that flips up to lay pretty much flat. I'm sure someone has done this in a JK, I just can't seem to find it.

Anyone have ideas, or possibly pic where others have done something similar ? Also excuse the mess in the pictures.

IMG_20180628_111122.jpg
Sponsored

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
we built a modular bed platform for the back. it's not the final version, and is not yet bolted into place, but the concept phase is working. I'll replace the back piece with a security drawer that will be on a hinge to allow access to the storage area underneath. the platform is flat across the entire cargo/rear seat area, and ends up being about 8-9" above the cargo area base and about 4" above the folded-down rear seats. I used Esto connectors for the aluminum tubing and connectors, and just plywood with some carpeting for the platform with hinges to allow access to storage underneath and to allow the front seats to move back and recline to comfortable positions while driving. this was built for an xterra, then just modified to fit the jeep properly. I have used it a few times, and this version in the jeep we used this weekend and worked great. holds 300 pounds (2 adults) easily. the limitation is in length - I would guess maximum height of someone in the back would be 5'10", or if sleeping on a slight diagonal maybe 6' is pushing it.

rear seat area platform with two sections hinged onto an aluminum frame:

IMG_8681.JPG

this section folds in half to allow the front seats to move and recline back as needed while driving:

IMG_8682.JPG

then it fully hinges back to about 90 degrees (a little more when folded correctly) to allow access to items being stored underneath - clothes, food, etc. there is one for each side of the jeep to allow access into one side while laying on the other side:
IMG_8683.JPG

rear cargo area is a separate platform and frame, and rests comfortably against the front platform frame, and is also hinged. this rear piece I am probably going to replace with a security drawer on a hinge:

IMG_8684.JPG

the back platform also raises to access storage underneath, and the cargo cubby area underneath. the frame was designed to support weight on top, and with the one back "wall" of the frame about halfway in so that the rear cubby cover could be raised without having to raise/move the aluminum frame of the platform - so it forms more of a A-shape than a square frame. I have a hook and catch that I am installing so that I can raise this platform and hold it up while working through stuff underneath without having to hold it myself (shovel is just a prop for now...):

IMG_8685.JPG

OP
OP
Alacon01

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
we built a modular bed platform for the back. it's not the final version, and is not yet bolted into place, but the concept phase is working. I'll replace the back piece with a security drawer that will be on a hinge to allow access to the storage area underneath. the platform is flat across the entire cargo/rear seat area, and ends up being about 8-9" above the cargo area base and about 4" above the folded-down rear seats. I used Esto connectors for the aluminum tubing and connectors, and just plywood with some carpeting for the platform with hinges to allow access to storage underneath and to allow the front seats to move back and recline to comfortable positions while driving. this was built for an xterra, then just modified to fit the jeep properly. I have used it a few times, and this version in the jeep we used this weekend and worked great. holds 300 pounds (2 adults) easily. the limitation is in length - I would guess maximum height of someone in the back would be 5'10", or if sleeping on a slight diagonal maybe 6' is pushing it.

rear seat area platform with two sections hinged onto an aluminum frame:

IMG_8681.JPG

this section folds in half to allow the front seats to move and recline back as needed while driving:

IMG_8682.JPG

then it fully hinges back to about 90 degrees (a little more when folded correctly) to allow access to items being stored underneath - clothes, food, etc. there is one for each side of the jeep to allow access into one side while laying on the other side:
IMG_8683.JPG

rear cargo area is a separate platform and frame, and rests comfortably against the front platform frame, and is also hinged. this rear piece I am probably going to replace with a security drawer on a hinge:

IMG_8684.JPG

the back platform also raises to access storage underneath, and the cargo cubby area underneath. the frame was designed to support weight on top, and with the one back "wall" of the frame about halfway in so that the rear cubby cover could be raised without having to raise/move the aluminum frame of the platform - so it forms more of a A-shape than a square frame. I have a hook and catch that I am installing so that I can raise this platform and hold it up while working through stuff underneath without having to hold it myself (shovel is just a prop for now...):

IMG_8685.JPG
Oh wow, thanks after thinking about it quite a bit mine will probably be very similar. I plan on making mine out of 80/20 aluminum extrusion for ease of use.

the joint's are wrong but this is what I was thinking for the bottom part. I don't want to go quite as high as yours because I'd like to sleep on the lower part. I guess or I could make a higher bed of extrusion beams
Extrusion platform..PNG

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Oh wow, thanks after thinking about it quite a bit mine will probably be very similar. I plan on making mine out of 80/20 aluminum extrusion for ease of use.

the joint's are wrong but this is what I was thinking for the bottom part. I don't want to go quite as high as yours because I'd like to sleep on the lower part. I guess or I could make a higher bed of extrusion beams
Extrusion platform..PNG
I went with that height so we could get some 6" tall storage bins underneath and keep things a little organized, as well as camp chairs, boots, and other bulky items - any lower and it would have lost the storage we were looking for. It's borderline high, and can barely sit straight up when back there. The aluminum extrusion looks more robust too, though the 1" square tubing with the support beams in the middle does seem pretty solid.

wrangler-rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So I was looking for something similar to the Tuffy or Smitty lock box idea. Lack of funds after other rubi related purchases made it so that going with those $400+ options were temporarily out of reach. I was also concerned over reverberation from my sub woofer being 16AWG construction. This “encouraged” me to go the wood route, my construction was 3/4” cabinet grade plywood, some herculiner and latching points and a few hitch pins. In the end I think my total cost is sub $100 and I love the end result. My next addition is mounting my ARB twin inside routing intakes just atop the exterior and hilift stealthily between the box and back seat.

8A9B879B-D9C4-4999-94A3-D7C2B177E9FE.jpeg

D930FCF3-4A81-4E47-A373-B711A7394099.jpeg

F8D94C6F-2AAA-48F9-9625-BC9986BAE6B3.jpeg

62BF1298-EA66-4E8A-B023-85DB237086BA.jpeg
Sponsored