First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I've never had this issue. Mine are always the same.
Sponsored

hockey523

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Audi S5, '18 JLU Rubicon, '05 TJ Sport
Just so happened last night and this morning....

jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Mine will differ at times as well by anywhere from 3 mph to 5 mph. I can tell at start-up if it's going to be off or not when the needle automatically goes all the way to the right and then comes back but doesn't land back on zero. Depending on how long I drive, by the time I stop, they may both be sync'd up again and matching perfectly.

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
Just so happened last night and this morning....

jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg
1: wish it was 79 F here
2: wish on a full tank in our JLR the tank range said 350+
:)

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Mine seems to be becoming more erratic. It is wrong more often than right.
Like W5MQS said, I can tell right from the startup, when the needle settles back after initiallizing, it doesn't go to zero(0).

It used to be 3-5 mph difference, the last few days I have seen as much as 11.

If I had a choice, I'd rather have the needle be right, since Ican't turn that off, and I guess I am old school in that I still glance at the needle while driving more often than the digital.

It freaked me out the other day. I was in a 55mph zone, the needle said I was doing 60. but the digital said I was doing 49, and I was just flowing with the traffic, which typically they all do 65-70 in this area. I thought for sure the digital was now wrong, but brought a GPS speedometer up on my phone and it matched the digital. It's an uneasy feeling not being able to rely on your instruments.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have noticed that the parallax error on the analog speedo is more than I'm used to. That might be what you are seeing. I'm a tall guy and I always get a bit of this on any vehicle but the visual difference in the position of the needle is large when I move my head just a bit. I have to duck down quite a bit to get a dead-center view of the speedo.
I had to look up so i thought I’d share ...

par·al·lax
/ˈperəˌlaks/
noun
  1. the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions, e.g., through the viewfinder and the lens of a camera.
    • the angular amount of parallax in a particular case, especially that of a star viewed from different points in the earth's orbit.
      plural noun: parallaxes

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Mine are way off and seems to be different at random....sometimes they are within 1-2 mph and sometimes off by like 8-12mph. I have the stock 33" Rubicon tires so that's not the issue:

speedometer_offset.jpg

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
reviving an old topic.

For the most part I just ignore the needle, but the wife was driving the Jeep the other day and mentioned that the digital and the needle don't match.

When I replied, "yeah, been like that since day 1", she went with the "you paid how much for something that doesn't work?"

Has there been any updates on fixing this? I mean it's a speedometer, been in every car for 100 years, it can't be too difficult to make it work. It is not like this is isolated, most seem to have this issue.

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE High Altitude
Occupation
Military
Mine used to do that all the time. I got the Dash software updated per a TSB and it has never messed up again.

3F5726A2-F997-4EEB-8DFB-77C1EEDBAF0D.png
Sponsored