Sponsored

Diffrence between JL and JK gears and installation ?

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
So anybody here that had a regeared JK and now a regeared JL can confirm if price was more for the JL due to installation being more technical ??
The only thing added from JK to the JL is the FAD.

The Dana 30/35 shim stack is handled the same as the JK.

The Dana 44 is easier on the JL.

At the end of the day, unless it’s a brand new JK with zero rust, the JL will be easier to regear.

In general terms, they’re the same. There is absolutely no reason for the cost to double. There will be pricing differences in parts, but labor should be the same.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
It's more that the automatic transmission uses a torque converter with a stall speed that gets the 3.6 engine up to an RPM where it makes power. So even if the gear ratio isn't the best, you're still making power and moving the Jeep.
I think the auto might also work out better, because the extra gears on the 8-speed are on the low end. The top three gears are virtually the same on both transmissions, but the 8-speed has five lower gears to use, while the 6MT only has three.

I'm currently running 35s on 3.45 gears, and the way the gear spread worked out, the gears kind of slid up unevenly. The old 4th is the new 5th, but the old 3rd is nowhere close to the old 4th. It feels something like downshifting straight from 5th to 3rd with the old setup. I think the shorter steps between lower gears on the 8-speed would compensate for this, and make this situation more tolerable.

Just a pet theory really. I didn't crunch any numbers, or dig up the actual list of ratios on the 8-speed.

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I think the auto might also work out better, because the extra gears on the 8-speed are on the low end. The top three gears are virtually the same on both transmissions, but the 8-speed has five lower gears to use, while the 6MT only has three.

I'm currently running 35s on 3.45 gears, and the way the gear spread worked out, the gears kind of slid up unevenly. The old 4th is the new 5th, but the old 3rd is nowhere close to the old 4th. It feels something like downshifting straight from 5th to 3rd with the old setup. I think the shorter steps between lower gears on the 8-speed would compensate for this, and make this situation more tolerable.

Just a pet theory really. I didn't crunch any numbers, or dig up the actual list of ratios on the 8-speed.
The manual is slightly deeper in 1st gear. 5.13 vs 4.71 which isn't huge. So it looks like below 1:1 the manual has fewer gears with more space between them. So you'd hold a manual gear just a little longer than the auto would when accelerating. At least that's the way I'd drive a manual.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
The manual is slightly deeper in 1st gear. 5.13 vs 4.71 which isn't huge. So it looks like below 1:1 the manual has fewer gears with more space between them. So you'd hold a manual gear just a little longer than the auto would when accelerating. At least that's the way I'd drive a manual.
Yup, pretty much. I'm winding the low gears out a lot farther. It reminds me a lot of the early auto-shifters in big trucks, where they were basically just bolting servos onto manual gearboxes. Those things loved to skip shift. Only this time I'm rowing the stick, and I'm using the only gears that exist.

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
My JK cost more than my JL regear.....but only because I used a different shop. But to answer your question....it is NO more technical. Going rate for both axles parts and labor in my area is $1800ish.....

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Why dont you put 35s and then find out of you like more pick up.
I have 34" on mine Sahara 3.6, weight 95lb per corner (wheel and tire). Acceleration is fine, slightly slower when accelerating normal. Pedal to the floor - thres definitely a difference.
Sponsored