Difference between 2 door wrangler 2019 and 2020 models

Mh9011

First Name
Mariann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
I have been shopping for my first wrangler Jeep. There are 5 things that I want (see below). I found a new 2019 that has all the items that I want and it’s $1,000 cheaper than a 2020. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2019 and 2020 models? Thank you
Requirements include:
2 door wrangler
White
Technology group
6 cylinders
3 piece hard top
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
None that I know of! Except the addition of a Diesel.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Whichever Jeep you settle on...Just make sure to take it for a good test run....Highway above 70 and try and read some of the posts on this forum about wandering. Not to say you will get one with issues but you should be well read on the subject. I do not have any of the issues and most do not...but you should know what to look for ...others will chime in. Good Luck in your search and keep us posted!!!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
$1,000 savings isn't much of a savings in what will soon be a two year old Jeep if similarly equipped.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mh9011

First Name
Mariann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Th
$1,000 savings isn't much of a savings in what will soon be a two year old Jeep if similarly equipped.
I agree. However I negotiated a really good price on the 2020 wrangler. I can get the 2019 for $31,492 plus TTL. The sticker price is $37,080

OP
OP

Mh9011

First Name
Mariann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Whichever Jeep you settle on...Just make sure to take it for a good test run....Highway above 70 and try and read some of the posts on this forum about wandering. Not to say you will get one with issues but you should be well read on the subject. I do not have any of the issues and most do not...but you should know what to look for ...others will chime in. Good Luck in your search and keep us posted!!!
Thank you. I will make sure to go for a long test drive. That’s good advice.

Croomrider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKR
I have read here that the steering was updated on the 2020 to fix the steering problems some of the the earlier JL’s had. However, I cannot verify that.

OP
OP

Mh9011

First Name
Mariann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
I have read here that the steering was updated on the 2020 to fix the steering problems some of the the earlier JL’s had. However, I cannot verify that.
Oh thank you for the info. I will do some research. Great advice

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
There are steering problems and uconnect problems with the 2020 also.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Whichever Jeep you settle on...Just make sure to take it for a good test run...
Yes, vehicles are such complicated machines - even with modern manufacturing, and assembly line consistency, they're supposed to be identical, but they just aren't. I remember decades ago my parents bought a Camry one year, and the next year bought another similarly equipped. They were just one model year apart, same generation. But one was better than the other, it drove better, steered better, felt like it had a stiffer suspension setup. I never bothered to figure out exactly why they were different, I was too busy messing around with my 4th gen Camaro.

More recently, a couple of months ago, I test drove a 2019 Sport S. It was fine, the clutch was way too light for my tastes, and pokey as hell, but I still wanted it. I did not end up with that one, though. I got a 2020 Sahara, and the first time I got in it was to drive it home - I didn't bother test driving it before I bought it. Could be entirely psychological, but it seemed to drive differently. Still pokey as hell, but the clutch felt better (still super-light, but with more resistance than I remembered from the Sport S), and the steering was less vague (maybe the 18" wheels made a difference?)

I used to work in a manufacturing site, and we were always looking for ways to make the products better, you know, continuous measurable improvement. There's a whole lot of little things that the end-consumer will never hear about that are being fixed or improved on the production line. Given the choice to buy a 2019 or 2020, and with them driving the same, I'd probably opt for the 2020. +$1000 probably isn't a lot when amortized over your ownership timeline.

Sorry, I don't mean to mess with your head or decision, but it seemed like you were soliciting opinions?
Sponsored