Did I screw up?

Dusty Roads

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys Sport
After reading several threads on the V-6 and some of it's problems I'm a little concerned. Are these vehicles seeing hard use? Most of my time will be spent on the ranch running old ranch roads, no crawling and not a real mud problem. The lifter problem has me concerned, do the new models have the same problem? Mines the E-Torque if that makes a difference.
Sponsored

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
The new version in the JL were heavily revised internally to address many issues of the first gen. I wouldn’t be worried at all, it’s honestly the most reliable engine offered in the wranglers

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
After reading several threads on the V-6 and some of it's problems I'm a little concerned. Are these vehicles seeing hard use? Most of my time will be spent on the ranch running old ranch roads, no crawling and not a real mud problem. The lifter problem has me concerned, do the new models have the same problem? Mines the E-Torque if that makes a difference.
Nothing to worry about. The lifter thing is the most common mechanical failure, but there has been well over 1 Million of these Pentastar's built and many of them well into the 200-300k mile range.

Bounce off the rev limiter from time to time and maintain it. You'll be in great shape.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
If you search, not on a Jeep forum, but on the World Wide Web for 3.6L reliability, you'll likely find that the 3.6L is one of the most reliable engines available and much more widely available than you may have thought. It's not a Jeep engine, ,but used in many vehicles. It's my favorite engine, and although I really loved the 4.0L Jeep engine, the 3.6L is undoubtedly better.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
It does seem like the ones that have issue are primarily high hour idlers - I run mine pretty hard and it's healthy at 40k after lots and lots of wheeling and also a lot of heavy on the skinny pedal mountain road carving. I will note that my 2019 3.6 seems to have a small rear main seal leak at 40k miles but that's more on the factory than the mechanicals of the engine itself. I'm a firm believer that wide open throttle is the apple-a-day treatment for engines and keeps them clean and healthy.

I too was worried hearing that ticking one on here a few days ago, but I do think the millions of 3.6 out there in good working order outdoes the small percentage with issues. Seems like we read more about the new Bronco motors having issues, honestly. I used to own a BMW 135i (twin turbo I6 N54) and an Audi S5 (3.0 supercharged v6) and both of them were notorious for big issues like turbo wastegates, timing chain tensioners, etc. The Audi in particular needed $13,000 in warranty work to swap the timing chain tensioners out at ~30k miles. The 3.6 / 8 speed auto in our JLs is a dream by comparison.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It is the most common engine in the world and very reliable. Once it is outside of warranty, they can be fixed when the rocker arms fail. Under warranty, there is no reason to repair an engine that has been damaged when it can be replaced at low cost.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The 3.6 and 3.6 eTorque have been on the Wards top 10 engines list several times in the last few years.

Most people who are searching the internet for similar issues, then make posts, are having a negative experience. Others belive that the corporate exectives will see the negative post and scramble to make things right (NEVER happens). That's why you see the bad reports. Happy owners with few problems aren't looking for a forum to vent their happiness.

SLORubi

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2019 A4 S-line
Can we ignore the 3.6 portion and just answer if you screwed up? Likely way more entertaining than telling you the people having issues with their V6 are the exception, not the norm.
Sponsored