Demo drive

Threedog

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (D)
My wife took a Eco diesel Wrangler on a test drive and loved it. When we got back to the dealership, we asked how much the it was, we were interested in buying it. He said it was already sold and the dealership was just waiting for dealer prep to be done before contacting the buyer. LOL. What kind of dealership lets people drive sold vehicles? Needless to say, we went to another dealership and placed an order. Told the salesguy there we absolutely do not want anyone "test driving" our Wrangler when it comes in. He couldn't believe the other dealership allows that.
Sponsored

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
The only person that should be test driving a new vehicle that is sold to a customer is the make ready tech, I know my dealer says the make ready tech must drive a new vehicle 10 miles to check it out, which I don't have a problem with as this could hopefully detect any problems that might occur to a new vehicle. I do know that some sale persons do drive the new vehicle around the block just to be sure all is ok. As far as letting others drive it for test purposes, that's a no-no in my books, makes you think what else they might do.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Yep, nobody gets to drive my jeep before me, except maybe the tech. Would be a dealbreaker if someone else did.

OP
OP

Threedog

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only person that should be test driving a new vehicle that is sold to a customer is the make ready tech, I know my dealer says the make ready tech must drive a new vehicle 10 miles to check it out, which I don't have a problem with as this could hopefully detect any problems that might occur to a new vehicle. I do know that some sale persons do drive the new vehicle around the block just to be sure all is ok. As far as letting others drive it for test purposes, that's a no-no in my books, makes you think what else they might do.
Yes, that's why we went to another dealership. Doubt they told the guy who bought it someone else test drove it. We put maybe 10 miles on it, max. The odometer had less than 30 when we arrived back at dealership.

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
My wife took a Eco diesel Wrangler on a test drive and loved it. When we got back to the dealership, we asked how much the it was, we were interested in buying it. He said it was already sold and the dealership was just waiting for dealer prep to be done before contacting the buyer. LOL. What kind of dealership lets people drive sold vehicles? Needless to say, we went to another dealership and placed an order. Told the salesguy there we absolutely do not want anyone "test driving" our Wrangler when it comes in. He couldn't believe the other dealership allows that.
It happens all the time and has for decades. Until the customer sign papers it's still technically the dealer's vehicle. Many times this is done because the dealer doesn't have the combination that the new buyer desires and gives them a chance to see their potential choice. However, the dealer usually accompanies the test driver.

A few months ago a new 392 was at my dealers and my sales guy told me to come on over and take a look. 30 minutes later I took it for a small test drive down the service road. I did not beat it or mistreat it, just evaluated it.

After all, you really don't know who or how many folks have driven you car before dealer delivery or after.

I'm not condoning or supporting this, I'm just stating reality and happens all the time. You can tell the dealer to prohibit this but no one is policing it!

C

OP
OP

Threedog

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It happens all the time and has for decades. Until the customer sign papers it's still technically the dealer's vehicle. Many times this is done because the dealer doesn't have the combination that the new buyer desires and gives them a chance to see their potential choice. However, the dealer usually accompanies the test driver.

A few months ago a new 392 was at my dealers and my sales guy told me to come on over and take a look. 30 minutes later I took it for a small test drive down the service road. I did not beat it or mistreat it, just evaluated it.

After all, you really don't know who or how many folks have driven you car before dealer delivery or after.

I'm not condoning or supporting this, I'm just stating reality and happens all the time. You can tell the dealer to prohibit this but no one is policing it!

C
I get that. However, if I pick up an ordered vehicle that has more than 50 miles on it, I'll call it into question. The dealer did not go with us on the test drive. He made a copy of our license. And to be fair, when we got back to the dealership and met with the sales guy, I saw on his computer screen he was tracking us with the low-jack. I'm not sure if it can sense speed, but it can sense position.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
My first job out of college was for a car dealership. At that time (late 70s) we had specific "demos" of each model. They were assigned to the sales people as their drive-to-from-work vehicle. In those days putting miles on new vehicles, whether sold or not, was taboo - for obvious reasons.
Sponsored