First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
But seriously guys, glad we got through that little bump in the forum road. I haven't priced out axels but I'm pretty confident my "weak" stock Rubicon axles with 37s will handle the types of trails I intend to take. That said, I'm blown away by the numbers I'm reading here. Does it really take $30k to upgrade to D60s?!! If so, that'll never be in the cards unless I win the lottery (also a college educated Commifornia home owner with 4 kids). What are realistic price ranges for the different setups you guys are talking about (junkyard build, Dana/Dynatrac/Currie, etc.)?
checkout what northridge4x4 has for axles and combos. they are offering d60 / d80 set up for $20k.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
for now and not anytime soon, i can see myself upgrading to d44 front and rear axles *from a take off or wrecked jl), if i'm planning to do a lot of wheeling and running larger tires. that after i pick up another jeep wrangler. now if i came across a set of d60s for a good price and not blown apart. i could see that, highly unlikely because i dont see myself running anything larger than 35s.

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
I've seen plenty of diesels at the drag strip. but I haven't seen any modern gas semis. Have you seen a gasser pull against a diesel at the truck pulls. laughable.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
For the OP, as an alternative, whether short or longer term, there are axle trusses available, and you can upgrade the axle shafts. I don’t know what you are trying to achieve overall with your Jeep, how big of tires, what type of wheeling, etc. maybe I missed reading that. I am planning to add the Artec front axle truss soon, 199 for the parts, and then installation. Clearly not D60 comparison, but back to, what are you planning to do with your Jeep, and what could meet your needs.

Sponsored

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
For me, I’m just very blessed. I have a good job and make a decent wage (nothing crazy, believe me) and my kids are grown.

I always knew I wanted the JL on 60’s and 40” tires the minute I bought it. I honestly didn’t think it would happen this soon. Started on 37’s but didn’t like the tire so was going to change tires. That made me want to jump to 39’s since they run small. Told myself I could get away with it with some work to the axles.

Once I added up what I was going to spend on the 44’s, I decided to put that money towards the 60’s. I give credit to the wife. She told me not to spend money on the stock axles just to do 60’s down the road. She knew I was going to when she saw me drooling over a JL on 60/80 Dynatrac setup on the trail. So I bit the bullet and ordered them the next morning.

It adds up quick. It’s easy to look at the Price of the axles but add driveshafts, wheels, steering components and next thing you know you’re in it ~25k.

Do I regret it? No and just a little yes until I walk out in the garage. It’s what I’ve always wanted outside of a buggy. I don’t play that hard or extreme but I do have complete confidence in my setup. Having to cut and trim the body is not my favorite thing to do to a new Jeep but that’s what I get for wanting to run 40’s. Now my only concern is the Hemi concept will become a reality and I will want one...

OP
OP
Surfwagon

Surfwagon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
For the OP, as an alternative, whether short or longer term, there are axle trusses available, and you can upgrade the axle shafts. I don’t know what you are trying to achieve overall with your Jeep, how big of tires, what type of wheeling, etc. maybe I missed reading that. I am planning to add the Artec front axle truss soon, 199 for the parts, and then installation. Clearly not D60 comparison, but back to, what are you planning to do with your Jeep, and what could meet your needs.
Honestly, for my needs, I will likely opt for built D44’s....BUT I would Love to eventually run 40’s. Whatever happens is gonna have to wait until after my Jeep is paid off, which will be a while. The only caveat would be if we decided to sell our house and take a little equity and pay off the Jeep in the meantime...then that would free up cash for some big upgrades.

Unix_Gawd

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL (Firecracker Red); 2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew 4x4; 1951 Ford F4 Deluxe Extra Cab;
I have been running 40s on D44s w/5.13s for over a year. Runs great and I've been offroad in TX, AR, TN & KY. I had 40s on an 85 Toyota for years and drove the crap out of it. Those cheap axles and components held up fine. The D44s are much better than those old Toyota axles. Just do it till it breaks! :like:

OP
OP
Surfwagon

Surfwagon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I have been running 40s on D44s w/5.13s for over a year. Runs great and I've been offroad in TX, AR, TN & KY. I had 40s on an 85 Toyota for years and drove the crap out of it. Those cheap axles and components held up fine. The D44s are much better than those old Toyota axles. Just do it till it breaks! :like:
Thanks for your input. Your Jeep looks great!

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’m jealous that people can do 60’s and 80’s and not blink an eye, but I also don’t fully understand why a Jeep Wrangler needs them. So I’m torn on if I would ever do them...

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Some of us have worked our asses off for decades so we can spend frivolously on what we want, instead of just what we need. You can't take it with you...

Jeep Wrangler JL D60 owners - How?? bad-grandpa-gif-1

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I’m jealous that people can do 60’s and 80’s and not blink an eye, but I also don’t fully understand why a Jeep Wrangler needs them. So I’m torn on if I would ever do them...
If you wheel hard on 37"+ tires eventually you start breaking stuff, especially with lockers.
Sponsored