Sponsored

D-ring shakles - good or bad?

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
Currently run my Tacoma with a D ring shackle inserted into the tow hitch. It came in handy when I had to tow a friend's JL out of some thick mud.

Was considering doing the same thing with my JL. Has anyone had any issues if someone got bumped from behind and the D ring was a contact point? How solid are the JL tow hitches as they are mounted to the frame? Safe to use as a recovery point?
Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Absolutely safe.
I smash mine all the time coming off ledges.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Has anyone had any issues if someone got bumped from behind and the D ring was a contact point?
Especially in a low speed bump, something protruding from the hitch can protect your bumper from being damaged.

How solid are the JL tow hitches as they are mounted to the frame? Safe to use as a recovery point?
2" Hitches are normally rated for 5k lb towing.

OP
OP
Lightsped

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
In the Tacoma forums, folks there were saying that installing a D Ring shackle in the tow hitch could cause the frame to bent in a low impact collision.... I still run mine in the Tacoma, and will probably do the same in the JL.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
In the Tacoma forums, folks there were saying that installing a D Ring shackle in the tow hitch could cause the frame to bent in a low impact collision.... I still run mine in the Tacoma, and will probably do the same in the JL.
In my old F150, about the same weight as our 4xe on order, I got rear ended by a Kia at probably 35 mph. I had a drop hitch in, the Kia was totaled, my frame was fine and I just had a dent in my bumper.

It will always depend on how hard the bumper is hitting you. That drop hitch or your d ring, will probably poke a hole in anything other than aftermarket steel bumpers before the frame fails.

And most likely it will be a car or van, and it'll go through a thin radiator and grill.
Sponsored