Control Arm and bump stop question

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T
I'm installing CORE 4x4 Tier 4 control arms (all 8 plus the front/rear track bars) this weekend and need a little advice. My current setup started with a Readylift 2.5" spacer lift that has 2" front bump stops and 3" rear bump stops. Since I've now added aftermarket wheels on 37x12.5x17's with 4.29" backspacing, -18 offset, and Steel Tube fenders at all 4 corners, can I remove my bump stops for more flex at the time I install my 8 piece control arm set? The primary purpose of the bump stops is to stop rubbing at full flex correct? I no longer have the issue of potential fender rubbing.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm installing CORE 4x4 Tier 4 control arms (all 8 plus the front/rear track bars) this weekend and need a little advice. My current setup started with a Readylift 2.5" spacer lift that has 2" front bump stops and 3" rear bump stops. Since I've now added aftermarket wheels on 37x12.5x17's with 4.29" backspacing, -18 offset, and Steel Tube fenders at all 4 corners, can I remove my bump stops for more flex at the time I install my 8 piece control arm set? The primary purpose of the bump stops is to stop rubbing at full flex correct? I no longer have the issue of potential fender rubbing.
Keep in mind that bumps also keep your shocks from bottoming out. Not just for rubbing.

OP
OP
JeepyD

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep in mind that bumps also keep your shocks from bottoming out. Not just for rubbing.
Yep, I was wondering if I need to also get shocks before removing the bump stops. I may just replace the springs/spacers/shocks/extensions with shocks/springs at a later time and leave the bump stops for now. The Readylift kit also had longer sway bar links and brake line extenders which is one of the reasons I went that direction in the first place. Then of course, I went wild on mods and now need new springs/shocks.

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
I no longer have the issue of potential fender rubbing.
Tires may still rub fenders under full articulation. Bump stops are meant to keep things from hitting each other... axle into engine, tires into fenders etc. and also keep the shock from bottoming out first (like mentioned above). You will most likely need those even with longer travel shocks/springs.

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Generally at least 2" bump stop extensions are needed to clear 37s. Sometimes more with lower backspacing wheels.

OP
OP
JeepyD

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Generally at least 2" bump stop extensions are needed to clear 37s. Sometimes more with lower backspacing wheels.
I decided to leave the bump stops alone. I will be replacing the springs and shocks soon and will re-evaluate then.
Sponsored