Considering a Wrangler but.....

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I didn't know that ladies liked trolls that much. I guess there is someone out there for everyone. To each their own.

Back when we had the real internet there were no trolls. I'll never upgrade!

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Believe it or not, I work in Advertising.... Ba dum bump. Nobody likes to make their dog throw up. Especially this one:

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 4.27.28 PM.png
HAHA! You can use that one if you want, lol.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have been mildly intrigued by the Wrangler for some time but the changes JL brought have me taking a more serious look.

First off, I am not sure I am really a Jeep guy or not. I might be and don't know it yet. i have test driven 4 JL's (2 Rubicons and 2 Sports, all 4 door). If I take the plunge it will be a Rubicon for a variety of reasons. Near the top of the list is the steering. Both Rubicons drove straight and both Sports required way too much input to keep it tracking straight. I also like the look of the Rubicon and the way it is equipped. I liked the test rides a bit more than I thought I would. It was a bit unrefined and was fairly noisy at speed but it did provide a nice visceral experience. I can see why folks like these things. I was kinda hoping I could scratch it off my list but that did not happen. I find myself spending a lot of time thinking about one. I don't envision a lot of time spent with the top or doors off but who knows.

A test ride really does not do it for me. I need to live with a vehicle for a period of time to know for sure if I really like it or not. My wife is open to the idea of picking up a Jeep and she is ok with whatever I decide. Money is not a factor. If I decide I don't like it after a few months I would just offload it and go with something else.

We spend 6 months of the year in central Florida near Ocala National Forest and the rest of the year in Wisconsin. I am intrigued by the possibility of wandering aimlessly through the forest and perhaps some areas in northern Wisconsin as well. Don't really need the Jeep for this but it most certainly will handle it with ease.

Twice a year we will be making the 1200 mile trip from WI to FL and back. We will be making the trip with 2 vehicles. One will be hauling a boat at 2600 pounds with trailer brakes and one will be hauling an open trailer with 2 motorcycles with no brakes and a weight of about 1700 pounds. I will likely take the toughest combination, whatever that turns out to be. One tow vehicle will be a Honda Pilot or Subaru Ascent and the Rubicon could serve duty as the second tow vehicle.

Any thoughts from folks on how well the Rubicon will handle the 1200 mile trip and which vehicle and trailer combination should I drive?

Would I be better off just going with the Pilot and Ascent and forget about this crazy idea?
Well, if money is no option, go buy one. Pick out the options you like and be prepared to enjoy driving again as it is not a boring ride. The trip would be no problem; the stereo is great. Jeep Wrangler is a different vehicle and those who like it, are true fans. Good luck and maybe I'll see in Florida.

OP
OP

bmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere, Aprilia Tuono, BMW S1000XR
Yeah, for some reason I drive with my windows open almost all the time now (obviously when sides or top are down)...and notice 95% of people never even roll their windows down. It's not like a red/blue pill moment, but is nice feeling out of a bubble between being inside and driving around.

Just to prod the OP...life's short, check it off your list?! :like:
As a previous E36 M3 owner I appreciate your input. It is nice to see people with similar tastes and the direction they take.
Sponsored