Clicking noise when turning.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I have the same clicking noise. Even with the UD 44 which has a bit different ball joint design.

I remember tightening my balljoints on my dana 30 fixed the clicking noise for awhile...not sure what the real solution is.

Are the knuckles the issue or the ball joints?
Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I have the same clicking noise. Even with the UD 44 which has a bit different ball joint design.

I remember tightening my balljoints on my dana 30 fixed the clicking noise for awhile...not sure what the real solution is.

Are the knuckles the issue or the ball joints?
I don’t know. Process of elimination. I will replace the crappy aluminum outer knuckles when Reid’s become available, and then the ball joints when some heavy duty aftermarket ones become available. Hopefully soon.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Put the front on jack stands today, and sure enough, the lower ball joint castle nut was loose. Tops were fine. Tightened the lowers and low and behold, no more clicking. For now.

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Put the front on jack stands today, and sure enough, the lower ball joint castle nut was loose. Tops were fine. Tightened the lowers and low and behold, no more clicking. For now.
Dealer claims to have tightened mine. Guess I’ll have to try and fix it myself.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dealer claims to have tightened mine. Guess I’ll have to try and fix it myself.
Now if I can figure out why my starter clunks when starting. Guessing it has to do with the stupid ESS?

Sponsored

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Now if I can figure out why my starter clunks when starting. Guessing it has to do with the stupid ESS?
I don’t have that issue, wished I could help. The joy of gremlins;)

IceInfusion

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I had a clicking noise coming from my steering wheel when turning. Took it in to the dealership. Turns out a tag inside of the steering wheel wasn’t cut out during the inspection. They cut it off and all is good now.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just tightened my lower ball joints and that corrected the click I was hearing. The passenger side clicked as I as tightening it.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Stupid question, how do you tighten the nuts kn the ball joints. If I’m looking that the right parts they have pins, so I’m not su e if I’m looking that the right part or not.
get yourself couple cotter-pins a torque wrench pull the cotter pins you have on there now adjust the castle nut to proper torque make sure you have the nut lined up so the cotter-pins will go back through you may need to slightly tap the pin into place then spread the ends apart so the nut cant back out...you should be able to reuse the your old cotter pins but have the others as backup

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
get yourself couple cotter-pins a torque wrench pull the cotter pins you have on there now adjust the castle nut to proper torque make sure you have the nut lined up so the cotter-pins will go back through you may need to slightly tap the pin into place then spread the ends apart so the nut cant back out...you should be able to reuse the your old cotter pins but have the others as backup
How do you torque the top ball joint nut? There doesn’t seam to be room for the torque wrench.

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How do you torque the top ball joint nut? There doesn’t seam to be room for the torque wrench.
if you move the wheel left or right you should be able to get enough room to get on the nut.
its not the most convenient place to get into but with a little of patience's & maneuvering I believe you should be able to get it

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
Well tightening the ball joints didn’t fix mine same exact noise as the videos.

Matymaty

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold my 2013 Moab for the 2018 JLU
I have a Sport. Mine clicked as well in reverse and in drive at a slow speed. I torqued my upper and lower ball joints to factory spec...which I felt was not nearly enough. I drove it around and they clicked yet again. Removed cotter pins and torqued them down a bit more. No more clicking.
Mine started around 7k miles also. I took mine in 10 days ago and they still haven’t given me a straight answer on what wrong yet. I am supposed to get my Jeep back today, we shall see

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Mine started clicking on driver side when I rotated tires. I looked and whenever they balanced the tire, they stacked the weights on this one. I wonder if the weight is just clipping the brake caliper. Used to be the spare. Anyway, for what it's worth, that's another idea on what can cause clicking on tire rotation.
Sponsored