Civilian

Civilian

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
There is a video on you tube that recommends buying rubber strips that go between the fender and body panel where debris collects and scratches the hell out of the area.
The rubber prevents stuff from collecting in that area.
Yep, thanks. I read about that here and checked out that video. I bought the same tubing from Amazon and it's out for delivery. Only really got a few things, had the jeep for 2 weeks now. Got weather tech mats, rugged ridge antenna and the rubber strips. It's all leather, but I was thinking about the Bartact seat covers throughout to protect/preserve it...but thinking that might just be a waste of money. Now I'm thinking of the black grill, just not sure how that will look.
Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I was going to put the rubber between the fender and body to prevent rocks but was afraid that overtime the rubber would eventually eat through the clear coat from normal driving vibrations . ...your thoughts?

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I have just converted from wax to Ceramic Paint Coating protection on my new Rubicon painted job including the painted fenders. I purchased $115 worth of stuff from https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/auto/ and very happy with all they have. I'm lazy and it goes on easy and did it myself and helped my Jeeping buddy do his new Rubicon. Watch the videos, it is all in the pre and as a new Jeep it was clean.

I have had 4 other Jeeps and put 3M clear film on door sills from https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VG8DS0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My painted rear fenders have some already and I put some on the tops of the all fenders as the kids climb in via the back wheel and put foot on top of rear fenders... I put some on top of front fender as some protection from me and tools as well as others resting stuff on them.

It is a Jeep and I have gone through some dirt and stones and the rock rails from ACE Enginneering has helped.

Happy Jeeping enjoy your ride.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
I have just converted from wax to Ceramic Paint Coating protection on my new Rubicon painted job including the painted fenders. I purchased $115 worth of stuff from https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/auto/ and very happy with all they have. I'm lazy and it goes on easy and did it myself and helped my Jeeping buddy do his new Rubicon. Watch the videos, it is all in the pre and as a new Jeep it was clean.

I have had 4 other Jeeps and put 3M clear film on door sills from https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VG8DS0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My painted rear fenders have some already and I put some on the tops of the all fenders as the kids climb in via the back wheel and put foot on top of rear fenders... I put some on top of front fender as some protection from me and tools as well as others resting stuff on them.

It is a Jeep and I have gone through some dirt and stones and the rock rails from ACE Enginneering has helped.

Happy Jeeping enjoy your ride.
Hey Jack, how much of a PITA was the film application for the door sills? I'm looking at the Rugged Ridge sills, but I might like to try film first.

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
The film can be a pain if you let it get to you. I think picking up spaghetti of the counter with your fingers is harder. So I started following the this video and then I just cut a pattern and wet it away. Not hard at all.

I did put the 3M film down first then I did the Mopar door sills. I also wrapped the 3M film down so when you put your foot on the rail, your shoe toes will not damage paint as well as the stones.

silis.jpg

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
The film can be a pain if you let it get to you. I think picking up spaghetti of the counter with your fingers is harder. So I started following the this video and then I just cut a pattern and wet it away. Not hard at all.

I did put the 3M film down first then I did the Mopar door sills. I also wrapped the 3M film down so when you put your foot on the rail, your shoe toes will not damage paint as well as the stones.

silis.jpg
You went full belt and suspenders - film and plastic guards - which sounds like a great plan. Thank you for the response and video, it is very helpful and I like the tip about continuing it down the outside face to protect from toe jam. Did you do the sill install with one piece of film or cut individual pieces as shown in the video? I would assume one piece with no seams would be better, but maybe the shape of the sill requires it be done with multiple pieces. I'm thinking I might make a paper template to get it to fit right, then transfer over to the film. Love the Mojito, btw.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
You went full belt and suspenders - film and plastic guards - which sounds like a great plan. Thank you for the response and video, it is very helpful and I like the tip about continuing it down the outside face to protect from toe jam. Did you do the sill install with one piece of film or cut individual pieces as shown in the video? I would assume one piece with no seams would be better, but maybe the shape of the sill requires it be done with multiple pieces. I'm thinking I might make a paper template to get it to fit right, then transfer over to the film. Love the Mojito, btw.
Thanks, I did one piece and before taking the 3M white backing off, I used that as a template for each door sill for a custom fit. The door sill has a curve so stopped before the curve as it the toe area and edge where people step.

I did my Jeep buddy first and saw it could be a pain if you are a perfectists which he is not. He had bubbles and over worked the film not letting it dry as he wanted all the air bubbles out... So seeing that in him, I just did it, let the sun shrink the film and had one bubble and no big deal. It's all about the protection and I can always remove the film later and do again.

Now that I have had it on for two months I see all kinds of shoe marks on the 3M film so in time may do it again. I happy with the protection as only some of my other 4 Jeeps had the film.

parrotheadphan

First Name
Mike (aka Kirk)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Firecracker Red, 3.6l, 8 spd auto
Occupation
Digital arts & photography teacher
Vehicle Showcase
What does everyone do to protect &/or wax the black hard top?

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I use 303 for all the plastic (and it works well on other things as well). I hadn't thought to use it on the black hardtop but I read a thread on here that recommended using it. I did and it came out great.

Sponsored

parrotheadphan

First Name
Mike (aka Kirk)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I use 303 for all the plastic (and it works well on other things as well). I hadn't thought to use it on the black hardtop but I read a thread on here that recommended using it. I did and it came out great.
Which 303?

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which 303?
The Aerospace Protectant. I've also used the Marine Aerospace Protectant (local automotive store was out of the regular 303 but West Marine had the "Marine" version). Not sure there is a big difference as bottles list same surfaces that they treat from memory. I've used them for years. I also use it on the tires. They keep them nice and black but not wet so it doesn't spin off onto the paint like some tire dressing products.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/303-3030...MIp4KY8sOP4QIVkQOGCh3-4gWyEAQYASABEgJA7fD_BwE

parrotheadphan

First Name
Mike (aka Kirk)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Aerospace Protectant. I've also used the Marine Aerospace Protectant (local automotive store was out of the regular 303 but West Marine had the "Marine" version). Not sure there is a big difference as bottles list same surfaces that they treat from memory. I've used them for years. I also use it on the tires. They keep them nice and black but not wet so it doesn't spin off onto the paint like some tire dressing products.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/303-3030...MIp4KY8sOP4QIVkQOGCh3-4gWyEAQYASABEgJA7fD_BwE
Thanks!

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Since the hard top is painted (unlike the black trim), I plan on using the same product(s) I will be using on the body of my Jeep...Zaino.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since the hard top is painted (unlike the black trim), I plan on using the same product(s) I will be using on the body of my Jeep...Zaino.
The non-color matched black hardtops are not painted like the body of the Jeep.
Sponsored