Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Funny thing is from a legal standpoint, it’s extremely weak. There’s so many other things in modern infotainment that’s distracting or so poorly done that it becomes distracting trying to do it right that any legal disclaimer or lockout feature would fail as a legal defense.
The most likely defense would be to deflect all responsibility onto the driver in the event of an accident in which case the lockout is just an annoying nanny feature.
There’s actually no regulations on this. Some cars lock it out, others force you to just click “ok” on the disclaimer, and Tesla allows you to use a full web browser while driving.
Regulations always lag behind tech change. Once Congress sees the pictures of those dead nuns and puppies they'll ban it. I've been hit by a woman texting, had to stop suddenly when a girl was texting and went thru a red light. In my state any 16 to 18 year old driver that touches a phone while driving lose their license for a year.
In one of my law classes the teacher was a district judge and he talked about the reason lawn mowers have safety handles and a plethora of warning stickers - an idiot, I think he said it was a good ole southern boy, took his mower, started it and then lifted it to trim a hedge. You can guess what happened. But the idiot jury said it was the mfg. fault because they didn't put on the mower to not do that. The judge didn't have a very high opinion of juries. Idiots like the hedge mower, who don't use common sense, cause all of us to pay more for everything. So I am all for "nanny state" rules to keep the rest of us a little safer.
Sponsored

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
You can use the Uconnect app to send an address to your own car’s navigation while driving. Instead of using the big in dash screen you just whip out your phone and basically just text it to yourself.
There’s a workaround for everything and companies are just incentivized to do the bare minimum.
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.
Which doesn’t mean it’s not going to happen.
Again it’s not a safety feature as FCA is happy to to provide their own workaround. They don’t trust that you’ll responsibly let your passenger type in the address, yet they do trust that won’t use Uconnect to send the address to yourself.

It’s both a hassle and potentially more dangerous,
It’s just a half assed attempt of deniability.

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
Which doesn’t mean it’s not going to happen.
Again it’s not a safety feature as FCA is happy to to provide their own workaround. They don’t trust that you’ll responsibly let your passenger type in the address, yet they do trust that won’t use Uconnect to send the address to yourself.

It’s both a hassle and potentially more dangerous,
It’s just a half assed attempt of deniability.
Not sure but I think we agree, in principle.
Would you say they should do nothing to deter consumers from texting while driving or are you saying that they should do more?
Regardless of what automotive manufacturers implement, the consumer will find away to bypass/workaround the Nav nannies and such.
The only way automotive manufacturers will be able to stop consumers from bypassing the lockouts would be to eliminate the option of OEM Nav all together. That's never going to happen.

As for trust...car makers give us and throttle pedal that will push/pull the average vehicle to well over 100MPH in seconds but they trust that we won't do that.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Regulations always lag behind tech change. Once Congress sees the pictures of those dead nuns and puppies they'll ban it. I've been hit by a woman texting, had to stop suddenly when a girl was texting and went thru a red light. In my state any 16 to 18 year old driver that touches a phone while driving lose their license for a year.
In one of my law classes the teacher was a district judge and he talked about the reason lawn mowers have safety handles and a plethora of warning stickers - an idiot, I think he said it was a good ole southern boy, took his mower, started it and then lifted it to trim a hedge. You can guess what happened. But the idiot jury said it was the mfg. fault because they didn't put on the mower to not do that. The judge didn't have a very high opinion of juries. Idiots like the hedge mower, who don't use common sense, cause all of us to pay more for everything. So I am all for "nanny state" rules to keep the rest of us a little safer.
Ignoring all the color commentary from apparently a non-mpartial judge with a thing against Southerners (replace “good ol’ southern boy” with any other demographic and see how that reads), it sounds like a made up urban legend. The purpose of the safety handle is to stop the mower if you get incapacitated while properly using it. Most power tools and machinery work this way. There’s a thousand other ways to abuse power tools and you can’t failsafe against all of them and every not safety device has a story associated with it.

That being said Uconnnect let’s you do a lot in motion, most of which have nothing to do with actual driving. Inputing an address into the navigation system is actually one of the only things on Uconnect that has anything to do with driving.
My problem isn’t safety features, but FCA’s poor implementation of it.

Sponsored

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
As for trust...car makers give us and throttle pedal that will push/pull the average vehicle to well over 100MPH in seconds but they trust that we won't do that.
It has nothing to do with trust or safety. It has to do with liability, who is at fault, and who potentially pays out the money. They are looking out for their welfare, not the consumers.

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
It has nothing to do with trust or safety. It has to do with liability, who is at fault, and who potentially pays out the money. They are looking out for their welfare, not the consumers.
Of course they are. Never said that they are not.
They can't stop people from finding ways to bypass the Nav nannies any more than they can stop people from driving over 100mph in a 50.
I'm just tired of people complaining that companies don't make it easy to be typing while the car is in motion. If you want to bypass the system or do it via Uconnect app, nobody is stopping anybody. Just don't take someone else's life while staring at a screen typing behind the wheel of a ton of metal.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I am waiting for the next generation of Nav software that won't display off-road trails because you might be hurt or not be able to complete the route. Re: the old couple that drove into a canal because the Nav map showed a road crossing the canal, my county road that 'crosses' a river even tho' the washed-out bridge was never replaced 50 years ago, or the people who drive their cars into the mountains during the winter on seasonal logging roads because the Nav screen shows that it is the shortest route.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
Of course they are. Never said that they are not.
They can't stop people from finding ways to bypass the Nav nannies any more than they can stop people from driving over 100mph in a 50.
I'm just tired of people complaining that companies don't make it easy to be typing while the car is in motion. If you want to bypass the system or do it via Uconnect app, nobody is stopping anybody. Just don't take someone else's life while staring at a screen typing behind the wheel of a ton of metal.
You are the one who said the manufacturers "trusted" us with the speed we drive. I was pointing out it has nothing to do with trust.

Overall this is a minor matter. They don't need to make anything "easy" to do things you don't like. They just need to reduce limits like this so it is not an impediment to my enjoyment of the vehicle. That doesn't mean that I'll be changing addresses while driving. That means someone else can. Whether you like it or not is immaterial.

Building it to the lowest common denominator isn't always the solution although it may be for liability.

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You can change your destination while moving if it is on your recent destinations. Now, how does that not affect your attention on the road the same way typing a name does is a question I would like an answer to. Maybe the size of the button on screen is directly related to the amount of attention you need to press it? Hmm

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I saved all the places I normally go to "favorites" in my nav, I can change destination on the fly while driving just fine - as long as it is in the saved list, and I have a long list. - press the 3 lines button -> stop guidance -> press nav again -> favorites -> new destination.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Not without an aftermarket programmer. Safety first.
Why does Fiat even allow Jeep to include the passenger and rear seats?
I mean, clearly they believe that a Jeep driver would never have another person in car who could enter the address. Thus, no need for more seats.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
And this why you see people with navigation staring Google maps on their phone while driving.
I doubt I would ever use the build in navi. Google maps is just so much better and easier. Especially when you use andriod auto and can just say, Hey google, take me home.
Sponsored