Cb radios

Viking Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR. 2021 392 Wrangler.
In my small group we all have CB but a couple of us have wanted to upgrade to GMRS. We have some of the Baofeng radios and I find it not loud enough even mounted in a good location on the dash near ear level.
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Grab a pack of four baofengs, program them with CHIRP, lock them, and hand them out to your group. $115 ish with programming cable.

FRS, GMRS, and HAM in one piece of hardware. - not kosher with the FCC because of that, but more convenient than three separate devices.
Why would you want illegal HAM? GMRS radios, on the other hand, use specific frequencies within that same band designated for FRS radios: 462-467 MHz. The difference is that GMRS radios have designated channels within those frequencies that aren’t available to FRS radios.

the Midland 50 Channel Waterproof GMRS Two-Way Radio's are $35/each

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Why would you want illegal HAM? GMRS radios, on the other hand, use specific frequencies within that same band designated for FRS radios: 462-467 MHz. The difference is that GMRS radios have designated channels within those frequencies that aren’t available to FRS radios.

the Midland 50 Channel Waterproof GMRS Two-Way Radio's are $35/each
I know the differences. Baofengs can interoperate with all types on all those frequencies. Three times the capability, less price.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I know the differences. Baofengs can interoperate with all types on all those frequencies. Three times the capability, less price.
I have the same question as Joe. Why would you want to get on frequencies you're not authorized on when there are legal alternatives that are so affordable?

Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can listen on any frequency you want. You can program the radio to only transmit with the legal power for each band, you can program the radio to not transmit on any band you are not licensed for. You can grow with the radio. Start with FRS, then get the GMRS ticket, and later - go HAM. You can use 1 piece of hardware with another group of users who have either GMRS or FRS.

The device may violate an obscure hardware rule, but you can follow the spirit of the law about which frequencies you key on, and with what power, for which licenses you currently have.

I'm not advocating for "pirate radio" operators to transmit on HAM frequencies without a license.

And in an emergency - If you are really stuck in the woods - would you rather have 1 radio type or 3? How about 1w, 5w or 8?

Last edited:

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
You can listen on any frequency you want. You can program the radio to only transmit with the legal power for each band, you can program the radio to not transmit on any band you are not licensed for. You can grow with the radio. Start with FRS, then get the GMRS ticket, and later - go HAM. You can use 1 piece of hardware with another group of users who have either GMRS or FRS.

The device may violate an obscure hardware rule, but you can follow the spirit of the law about which frequencies you key on, and with what power, for which licenses you currently have.

I'm not advocating for "pirate radio" operators to transmit on HAM frequencies without a license.

And in an emergency - If you are really stuck in the woods - would you rather have 1 radio type or 3? How about 1w, 5w or 8?
I'm glad tp hear you don't advocate 'pirate radio'. Personally, I have a 50w Ham radio in my Jeep and sometimes put a 100w HF Ham radio in. I've been licensed as a Ham for a long time. I also have GMRS in my Jeep.

I am curious, and this seriously is just curiosity, how beneficial it is having a Baofeng radio. From what I've seen, they are either VHF and/or UHF radios. They will NOT work in the CB range since it is HF. GMRS and FRS are in UHF so the Baofeng will work there as long as everyone is on the same frequency. I can see how having a few that you can hand out to others in your party could be beneficial. But if you're stuck in the woods, what frequency would you try to call out on? Out of the thousands of frequencies available on the Baofeng , where would you call for help? Would you set the radio to scan all the frequencies in hopes to find someone talking and try to talk back? Which band? VHF or UHF 220 or UHF 440? Should you use simplex or a repeater if you do hear someone? How would you know? What off-set?

I am not trying to be a smart-ass about this. I've seen others think that once they have a cheap Baofeng radio that they can get help in any situation. And that false sense of security can be dangerous. I STRONGLY suggest taking an on-line course to get your Technician Ham license. You'll have some background information to help you figure out where to look for help, what bands are more likely to get out, how to use a repeater, and things like that.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Obviously the baofeng would be more capable in your hands than mine.

In my county, the police, fire and EMS are on UHF. I have each sector programmed and labeled. In a true emergency, I could break right to dispatch if needed.

Otherwise, yes, you could scan and hope for the best if you haven't done your research on the area ahead of time.

I also have a "police scanner" profile setup for just local emergency frequencies. Again, a lot of bang for your $22 bucks.

I went down the the CB route in my TJ and it was ultimately a waste of time/money. Well over $100 plus time for install and tuning just to listen to knuckle heads scream at eachother from 50 miles away with amplified rigs.

Tossing one of these in the cupholder make more sense to me now for most off-roading activities. On road hazzard information - waze and AM radio is sufficient.

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
I have Midland GMRS 15 watt mobiles in my Gladiator Rubicon, my JLU Sahara, my JL Willys, and my diesel Super C motorhome. The Jeeps are towed by the Super C when we make trips. There are 2 handheld Midlands in each vehicle.

The Super C and the JT also have mounted Hams and CB's with handheld.

I monitor all three radios when traveling. I have a plate on my RV that lists my call sign and what frequencies I monitor. Not a travel day passes that I don't get hailed by passing truckers (CB) or other Ham enthusiasts (146.52). Occasionally, I'll hear some local traffic on the GMRS, but there really isn't a universal "talk-around" channel for that yet though I do monitor ch 19 by default.

KJ4VVA
WRJH219

20220919_170908.jpg

20221002_185844.jpg

20201018_170022.jpg

20201018_165956.jpg

20201018_163403.jpg

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Found this while cleaning out my parents basement. It has to be the best as you see who endorsed it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cb radios 9C885E95-7050-4D0E-BF9F-2E3F42F39CB3
Sponsored