Can't trust the VIN!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
That’s what happens when you try to argue with concrete thinkers. It’s like pulling teeth.
Dude, just do us all a favor and shut the fuck up. Thanks.

Your installer has no idea what he’s reading and frankly, neither do you.

I have not seen a single instance where FCA build the wrong axles on these Jeeps.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Choobys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Does crawling under your jeep with your phone and this picture loaded not work anymore? Why wasn’t that step 1?

64BDDFB8-C1B1-4389-BBD7-DFBBF25EE032.jpeg
This was step two after my installer checked my vin. I 100% have that Dana 44 plate in the rear.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
This was step two after my installer checked my vin. I 100% have that Dana 44 plate in the rear.
NO, you don’t have the Dana 44 plate. The picture above is wrong (old diffs) because the new axles are called Dana M200 or Dana M220. They have similar covers but are in fact different. You have the M200 cover, go check it out and compare to the picture below. Note the fill plug in relations to the raise portion on the diff, is it in the center or on the bottom?

Read the thread here where people were confused as well.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sport-and-sahara-axles-and-rubicon-axles.25227/

Jeep Wrangler JL Can't trust the VIN! E1932587-E9F1-432C-9BDC-1AB4B2DEABA1

Last edited:

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Um how bout no? Thanks
always someone trying to bash FCA instead of reading the arguments presented here. If anyone has concrete thinking...look in the mirror! Just another useless thread. Piss and moan is all some members do.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
You've got that backwards, bud. And you so much as admitted it in post #9 where you looked at your WS and saw your rig has a D35. I'm going to go out on a limb here; your installer doesn't know how to read the information or just made a mistake and is trying to shirk responsibility for it and blame it on Jeep or Dana and you believed them.

VIN are 17 digits. The content of the VIN depends on the manufacturer and even the model.

Here is mine decoded. No gear ratio...

1C4JJXFM7LW219642
1 = Country or Origin, USA
C = Chrysler
4 = MPV
J = GVR 6001-7000 LBS
JXF = 4 door, Rubicon, Left Hand Drive
M = 3.0L Turbo Diesel
7 = Check digit
L = Model Year, 2020
W = Assembly Plant, Toledo, Ohio, North
219642 = Sequential Serial Number

Now, I can take my VIN and load the WS or Build Sheet which contains a lot of information on the standard equipment of my vehicle and the optional equipment that was add in addition to, or instead of, standard equipment.
Yeah, so given this, I don’t know why VINs are being called into question as untrustworthy. Nowhere in the VIN does it say that it should come with this or that option, or this or that axle.

NO, you don’t have the Dana 44 plate. The picture above is wrong (old diffs) because the new axles are called Dana M200 or Dana M220. They have similar covers but are in fact different. You have the M200 cover, go check it out and compare to the picture below. Note the fill plug in relations to the raise portion on the diff, is it in the center or on the bottom?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sport-and-sahara-axles-and-rubicon-axles.25227/

Interesting, I wasn’t aware of the change to the D35 diff cover. That’s why in my post I asked if that picture doesn’t work anymore :like:

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

No you don’t, those are images of previous generation axels.

EDIT: beat to the punch by @Arterius2 who included pictures.

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
This is interesting (the last part about the new covers, not the endless bickering). I did not realize that when you optioned a LSD you automatically got the D44. (That is, if I am understanding correctly.) I just looked under my new Willys, which has the LSD as part of the option package, and the diff looks just like the M220 pic above, with the filler hole below the midline.

Boy, Dana could have helped out with a little stamp on the casing, huh? Could have brought some peace to the JL world.

Good times, noodle salad.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
This is interesting (the last part about the new covers, not the endless bickering). I did not realize that when you optioned a LSD you automatically got the D44. (That is, if I am understanding correctly.) I just looked under my new Willys, which has the LSD as part of the option package, and the diff looks just like the M220 pic above, with the filler hole below the midline.

Boy, Dana could have helped out with a little stamp on the casing, huh? Could have brought some peace to the JL world.

Good times, noodle salad.
You sir, handled this in a respectful manner.
You read up on it, understood it, and then most importantly, checked out on it before coming to conclusions.
You didn’t play the blame game and name calling.
This has to be said but really, good on you! :like:

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
You sir, handled this in a respectful manner.
You read up on it, understood it, and then most importantly, checked out on it before coming to conclusions.
You didn’t play the blame game and name calling.
This has to be said but really, good on you! :like:
And my hat is off to you, sir, my friend from the great north country!

Sponsored

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
This guy insults me first unprovoked and I’m digging the hole huh? And Where’s this hole gonna take me :whatsgoingon:

Thanks so much for these pictures! I was able to determine I have the M220 with the LSD on my automatic Sahara even though the the window sticker didn’t specify it.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Thanks so much for these pictures! I was able to determine I have the M220 with the LSD on my automatic Sahara even though the the window sticker didn’t specify it.
Can you post your sticker? I'm curious now...
Edit: doesn't the LSD automatically come with the M220?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Can you post your sticker? I'm curious now...
Edit: doesn't the LSD automatically come with the M220?
Understandably, the window stickers are hard to read and there are several versions. To be fair Jeep does it make it confusing by adding and removing the M220 back and forth if you optioned in an automatic transmission and/or LSD. Most people just look at the standard equipment section and thinks that’s what they are getting. A better title of this thread should be “Can’t trust your eyes”

Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
E16150A8-6074-4B1E-92F7-EB03A9E9AC7C.jpeg

,Here you go!
This is interesting, here is a good example of what I meant by there are different versions of the build sheet.
Mine being a 2018 Sahara definitely looks different from yours! I suspect Jeep changed it at some point to maybe avoid confusion but I guess it just created more at this point.

My build sheet (Canadian)
https://www.jeep.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C4HJXEN0JW215194

Vs Yours
https://www.jeep.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C4HJXEN9KW534708

Jeep Wrangler JL Can't trust the VIN! BA8DB000-D91C-452A-A49A-BD2058359A68
Sponsored

Last edited: