First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Hey everyone, to get straight to the point I am starting this to gain more information on the JL axles. Everyone knows all Rubicon's get the dana 44 front and rear. All information I can find claims that Sport's and Sahara's get dana 30/35 unless you get the anti spin axle, then you will get the dana 44 in the rear. I have a 2018 Sport S Unlimited that does not have the anti spin option but yet I still have a dana 44 rear, or according to the build sheet Dana M220 rear axle. I saw another thread that someone thought they received a dana 44 by mistake but personally I don't think Jeep is going to mistakenly put dana 44's in a bunch of Sport's especially geared at 3.45. I think their has to be some reasoning behind this and maybe all Sport's and Sahara's don't just come with dana 30/35. Since my Jeep is just your average Sport S off the lot I was thinking maybe all trims get a dana 44 rear axle but I see companies making diff covers for a JL dana 35 so their must be JL dana 35's out there somewhere. Here is a picture of my rear axle and it sure looks like a dana 44.

upload_2019-3-9_19-11-23.png

Here is my build sheet to show I have the dana M220 rear axle, it is highlighted.

upload_2019-3-9_19-9-8.jpeg

All this started because I was looking up gearing for my Sport since I have the 6 speed manual and with the 285/70/17 ko2's 6th gear is already useless. I want bigger tires than what I have now and I would want to regear for those tires but personally I wouldn't want to put money into a 30/35 combo so I started seeing what I could find about dana 44 takeoff's or aftermarket upgrades and along the way I saw the build sheet showing I already have a dana 44 rear.

If you have a Sport or Sahara I would encourage you to use this link to view your build sheet and see what rear axle you have.

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

I have a feeling more people are out their that just assumed they had a 35 but actually have a 44 like I assumed from going off of axle information already posted. I'm hoping we can all find some clarity on what axles we are receiving and why. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
I posted in that thread little while ago
The 44, m220 narrow, is standard in sports and Sahara’s with a manual transmission. The m200, 35, is optioned in with the automatic transmission. The only way to get the M220 narrow with the auto is to select the limited slip option

OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Ahh ok that makes sense then. I'm even more happy I got the manual now. Kinda strange though they didn't keep the 44 consistent through all trim levels.

Sponsored

Pompeyjeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP JL Sport S
I have the Dana M200 (rear) and M186 (front). I am new to jeeping is this good or bad? What is needed to make my Jeep more off road worthy?

I have already installed front and rear-Go Rhino stubby bumpers, warn winch, 35" Mickey Thompson with 3" puck lift...although full lift on the cards asap.

But back to the axels...is my set up good enough?

OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have the Dana M200 (rear) and M186 (front). I am new to jeeping is this good or bad? What is needed to make my Jeep more off road worthy?

I have already installed front and rear-Go Rhino stubby bumpers, warn winch, 35" Mickey Thompson with 3" puck lift...although full lift on the cards asap.

But back to the axels...is my set up good enough?
Yeah you’ll be fine if you treat the gas pedal with respect. I’m pretty sure plenty of people off road a sport on 35’s. I have a manual transmission with the 33 ko2’s and in 4 low I still want shorter gearing. If you plan to stay with 35’s forever a re gear for 35’s may be beneficial. I think my manual transmission is less than desirable with stock gearing. I test drove a stock rubicon yesterday with the manual and that was great and felt as it should.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
ok, not trying to kick up the dust and dirt again. but i'm a bit confused and just want a clarification. i got my 19 jl 2 door sport 3.6 / 8 spd auto. off the lot. i did noticed on the window sticker on the standard equipment that it has the 3rd gen dana rear 44 axle. then on the option side its listed 3rd gen dana rear axle. (i'm aware the side note saying standard equipment may change with option) i looked up the build sheet and it shows up with the m200 dana rear axle. i have 3.45 gears and assuming some kind of traction control not the lsd.

so my question is what did i get. i've read a bunch of different posts and this is what i think i have. the front i know is the dana m186. the rear i'm guessing it a dana m200.

agian i'm just figuring what i have as for the rear axle. it i have the m200 rear axle not the dana 44, is the m200 scaled down version of the dana 44. i know its narrower then the dana 44. and its stronger then the out going dana 30/35 rear axle. lastly is the m200 and m220 simular in strength, etc. and the only different is the ring gear size and the optional lsd.

any clarification to this post would be helpful since i read the other post which its kinda general info.

sorry for the long post.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I posted in that thread little while ago
The 44, m220 narrow, is standard in sports and Sahara’s with a manual transmission. The m200, 35, is optioned in with the automatic transmission. The only way to get the M220 narrow with the auto is to select the limited slip option
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. I have a 2019 Sport S Auto with the M220 narrow and an open diff, bought it off the lot that way.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
ok, not trying to kick up the dust and dirt again. but i'm a bit confused and just want a clarification. i got my 19 jl 2 door sport 3.6 / 8 spd auto. off the lot. i did noticed on the window sticker on the standard equipment that it has the 3rd gen dana rear 44 axle. then on the option side its listed 3rd gen dana rear axle. (i'm aware the side note saying standard equipment may change with option) i looked up the build sheet and it shows up with the m200 dana rear axle. i have 3.45 gears and assuming some kind of traction control not the lsd.

so my question is what did i get. i've read a bunch of different posts and this is what i think i have. the front i know is the dana m186. the rear i'm guessing it a dana m200.

agian i'm just figuring what i have as for the rear axle. it i have the m200 rear axle not the dana 44, is the m200 scaled down version of the dana 44. i know its narrower then the dana 44. and its stronger then the out going dana 30/35 rear axle. lastly is the m200 and m220 simular in strength, etc. and the only different is the ring gear size and the optional lsd.

any clarification to this post would be helpful since i read the other post which its kinda general info.

sorry for the long post.
If you optioned limited slip differential, you have d44(m220), if you didn’t, you have d35(m200)

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. I have a 2019 Sport S Auto with the M220 narrow and an open diff, bought it off the lot that way.
Doubt it, you have the D35, it looks really similar to a D44, forget about the spec sheets, it will show D44 standard with manual transmission then it will take it away later and replace with D35 once you optioned automatic, but you will see both on the spec sheet.take a picture of your rear diff and I’ll tell you what you have.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU

sorry for the long post.
The best way to identify your axles is by the cover. Extreme terrain and Quadratec both have articles with pictures of the covers for ID purposes. The JL axles have changed a little but the covers are the same. To tell if you have LSD, jack up the rear and spin one tire. If the other tire spins in the opposite direction you have an open diff, if the other tire spins in the same direction you have LSD. If you have an open diff you still have BLD (brake locking differential) that is a function of traction control, there are some threads here and elsewhere that detail how it works.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
The best way to identify your axles is by the cover. Extreme terrain and Quadratec both have articles with pictures of the covers for ID purposes. The JL axles have changed a little but the covers are the same. To tell if you have LSD, jack up the rear and spin one tire. If the other tire spins in the opposite direction you have an open diff, if the other tire spins in the same direction you have LSD. If you have an open diff you still have BLD (brake locking differential) that is a function of traction control, there are some threads here and elsewhere that detail how it works.
Production level d35 looks very similar to the d44 except for the oil fill plug section, I know that earlier test versions of D35 seen in some videos has distinguishable round covers, this was the point of the confusion.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Doubt it, you have the D35, it looks really similar to a D44, forget about the spec sheets, it will show D44 standard with manual transmission then it will take it away later and replace with D35 once you optioned automatic, but you will see both on the spec sheet.take a picture of your rear diff and I’ll tell you what you have.
I never looked at the spec sheet, I was under my Jeep and said, "that's a Dana 44" and then ran the numbers from the axle. I have the D44.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I never looked at the spec sheet, I was under my Jeep and said, "that's a Dana 44" and then ran the numbers from the axle. I have the D44.
And yours is a open diff as you stated before?
Why would jeep make a random axle like that, the 220 narrow only comes with limited slip.....
Sponsored