Calibration procedure for compass?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The compass in my JL seems to be nuts. I have the 7" screen without NAV. Anybody know the procedure for calibrating these?
Sponsored

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The compass in my JL seems to be nuts. I have the 7" screen without NAV. Anybody know the procedure for calibrating these?
Did you look in your owner's manual??? Drive in a circle 5 times.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Are you serious? 5 times? I’ll be dizzy. Good thing there is a rundabout by my house. I can’t wait to see what the neighbors say when they see me calibrating my compass. :giggle: I bet they’ll call my wife :cwl: and she’ll say, oh it’s just one of those Jeep things.
Any other car I owned took only one full circle.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Are you serious about this (it's kind of funny either way)?

I've looked in the manual and can't find anything. I've also looked online and the only thing I can find is the calibration procedure for the JK.

Mine is off as well - JL Sport with the 7 inch screen without NAV if that makes a difference. Can anyone help?

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah, I saw NOTHING in the manual about it. Hence, why I asked.

So nobody knows how to do it? I don't even see a menu anywhere in the 7" screen that prepares the compass for a calibration routine.

Sponsored

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

So nobody knows how to do it? I don't even see a menu anywhere in the 7" screen that prepares the compass for a calibration routine.
I do not see anything in the JL manuals either. :(

I know in every vehicle I have ever owned that had a compass [except the JL] there was a way to define the "zone" you were in and driving in a circle performed a calibration on the compass. Never owned a JK, but their manual says to do this. Of course, you did not need to drive in a circle 5 times, once [maybe twice] would have done it, but it was funny. To me, at least. :giggle:

NO SOUP FOR YOU, 1 YEAR!

Kallico

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL

Well, i just bought a 2019 and im stuck going North. All this time and nobody has an answer still. Im afraid to take it to the dealer. They seem confused when you ask what time they have.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
My 7" was fine for a couple months, then decided it was up in the mountains 100 miles away all the time. While I can't blame the wishful thinking I kept wondering why she wanted to be in the lake rather than the ski slopes. But I digress. It would disrupt the location on my phone maps as well as wreak havoc with the compass. Usually after anywhere from 2 minutes to 15 minutes she would sort it out and show the correct location and heading.

I did find something that said to re-calibrate the GPS to drive around in a tight circle slowly (like 45 seconds per revolution) for 7x. I did that, patiently enduring the strange looks from passersby. Did it help? Nope... nada.

When I took it in for service the did a factory re-calibration and it's been fine ever since.

Good luck!

TRJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Rubicon
See Poll off-road pages and see what was done
Sponsored