Buy off lot or order?

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Dealership has a Sahara on the lot, has everything I would order, just missing tow package .I've heard mixed things about adding the tow package after build, was wondering if it's worth buying this one off the lot, or ordering the same thing with tow package? I will be adding a brake controller, if that changes anything. Any advice from JLU owners with experience?
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You cannot reasonably add the tow package after it is built. The tow package includes the tow hitch and wiring, aux switches and wiring, and the upgraded alternator. That would cost way more, unless you can get a great deal on a 2018 on the lot or something, it’s not worth trying to do.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You can absolutely do it. The JL tow package is pretty basic in that it doesn’t add anything to actually aid with towing. (I.e. doesn’t add an aux trans cooler, aux oil cooler, load leveling rear suspension, auto leveling headlights , etc)

If you don’t have any intent to use the aux switches then the upgraded alternator isn’t even necessary.

You can easily add the hitch & wiring after the sale and be able to tow the same 3,500 lbs as the factory package.

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

Dealership has a Sahara on the lot, has everything I would order, just missing tow package .I've heard mixed things about adding the tow package after build, was wondering if it's worth buying this one off the lot, or ordering the same thing with tow package? I will be adding a brake controller, if that changes anything. Any advice from JLU owners with experience?
Definitely order it

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Secondtj is correct but a tow package was on my list when I ordered. The pre wired switches are awesome and I love the stock look without aftermarket switches.

I'm sure you could talk a better deal with a jeep on the lot but it's to expensive not to get what you want.

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Can't you just work a deal with the dealer to have them install that for you?

Stretcher

Can't you just work a deal with the dealer to have them install that for you?
Best and simplest reply. They want to move this unit, so either they find a way to give you a tow package on it, or order one. No biggie man.

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBI 2dr 2.0t, 2014 CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK
I have the 18 JLR 2 door 2.0. I am $450 (Dealer supplied and Installed)into my added tow package and that only included the MOPAR Tow Bar (2" receiver hitch) plus the MOPAR wiring harness with the 4 and 7 pin connectors. I am waiting for arrival on the Auxillary switches. Because I have the 2.0 4-cyl there is NO alternator upgrade either way (factory or dealer installed). Once the AUX switches are installed, I may come in as a wash.

I am paying for the MOPAR parts and the Dealer installation because I don't want to do wiring harnesses etc. If you are skilled with your installs and not paying the shop hours, you might actually beat the package price.

Just my 2 cents. v/r rch

OP
OP
CaliJK

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Thanks for replies. I was going to try and work it in to the deal on the lot JLU. I was just wondering if it was no different than doing it myself. I'd rather pay the extra, and have them do it if they can keep the clean "factory" look. Will trailer brake controller simply plug in at dash as if factory ordered tow package, or will it affect how it's installed?

Thanks again for replies.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
You can usually work out a better deal on a custom order than you can on a new vehicle off the lot, because the dealership has nothing invested in the ordered vehicles. Now, a 2018 that has been sitting a while on the lot may be even better, but you can only get them to go so low. They won’t lose money.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CaliJK

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Can't get a 2018, they don't come in bikini. The dealer list price is about 10 percent below msrp, I was going to try and get another 3-4 percent below that. Not sure what invoice pricing in Canada is, and I find its rare to get the 8 percent below that we see from our southern neighbours. But was thinking if I could get 14 percent below msrp and have them add in the tow package items, would be a deal I can live with and be happy with.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Can't get a 2018, they don't come in bikini. The dealer list price is about 10 percent below msrp, I was going to try and get another 3-4 percent below that. Not sure what invoice pricing in Canada is, and I find its rare to get the 8 percent below that we see from our southern neighbours. But was thinking if I could get 14 percent below msrp and have them add in the tow package items, would be a deal I can live with and be happy with.

Good luck.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
I ordered because it allowed me to save a ton of $$. I spent exactly where I wanted (Rubicon lockers and sway disconnect and tow/switch package), got the specific rarely-ordered-by-dealers color I absolutely had to have (yellow) and did not waste a penny on anything else I didn’t want or need or have to deal with fixing down the road. Result was a yellow 2019 Rubicon with tow package, premium soft top, out the door for $44k. And it showed up in half the time I expected - figure 2-3 months and I showed up in just less than 4 weeks.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Just my 2 cents regarding tow package. I suggest the dealer does it. I did aftermarket on my last 2 Ford Edge's (2010, 2016) and it was a nightmare. 1st was done by Uhaul. The wiring never worked correctly, the guy was useless. The newer was done by a trusted mechanic friend. Took him hours due to removing interior panels for the wiring.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Just my 2 cents regarding tow package. I suggest the dealer does it. I did aftermarket on my last 2 Ford Edge's (2010, 2016) and it was a nightmare. 1st was done by Uhaul. The wiring never worked correctly, the guy was useless. The newer was done by a trusted mechanic friend. Took him hours due to removing interior panels for the wiring.
Dealerships aren’t any better. If you want things to work right, order it from the factory.
Sponsored