Buy off lot or order?

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
Order it. The wait sucks. But, after you get it, you’ll forget about the wait. When I’m dropping this amount of money on something, I want it EXACTLY how I want it.....save a few percentage points on the price for something I almost want? No thanks
Sponsored

Halfdoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler
You can usually work out a better deal on a custom order than you can on a new vehicle off the lot, because the dealership has nothing invested in the ordered vehicles. Now, a 2018 that has been sitting a while on the lot may be even better, but you can only get them to go so low. They won’t lose money.
I don’t think this is correct. I just went through this helping someone get a JLUR. More than one dealer we shopped would go 6% under invoice on 2919’s on the lot but both would only do 4% under invoice on ordered Bikini. This was a no trade deal, no difference doc fees etc. BTW, % under MSRP not a good indicator on Jl’s as there is a big difference in invoice/msrp relationship across the various models and options. For example, 10% off MSRP is a great deal on a base Sport but a poor deal on a Rubi.

OP
OP
CaliJK

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I don’t think this is correct. I just went through this helping someone get a JLUR. More than one dealer we shopped would go 6% under invoice on 2919’s on the lot but both would only do 4% under invoice on ordered Bikini. This was a no trade deal, no difference doc fees etc. BTW, % under MSRP not a good indicator on Jl’s as there is a big difference in invoice/msrp relationship across the various models and options. For example, 10% off MSRP is a great deal on a base Sport but a poor deal on a Rubi.

I did go over the list on sticky with invoice pricing. It's hard getting Canadian dealers to go invoice or below. At least I've never had it, and others have said the same.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I ordered because it allowed me to save a ton of $$. I spent exactly where I wanted (Rubicon lockers and sway disconnect and tow/switch package), got the specific rarely-ordered-by-dealers color I absolutely had to have (yellow) and did not waste a penny on anything else I didn’t want or need or have to deal with fixing down the road. Result was a yellow 2019 Rubicon with tow package, premium soft top, out the door for $44k. And it showed up in half the time I expected - figure 2-3 months and I showed up in just less than 4 weeks.
Way to go with the Hellayella! I ordered that for my wife who always wanted a yellow jeep, but I wished I could have ordered it for myself in Bikini Pearl. Now that it's here, I can't imagine it in any other color - I'm in love. I now want more yellow in my life.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I'm a lot guy myself. If you want ALL the tow stuff, though, you should probably order or wait for one with it. For me, I just installed the hitch myself for like 40 bucks, but all I need the hitch for is a bike rack and a small cart from time to time. If you need the wiring and stuff, I'd do that from factory.

Also, every dollar really does matter to me. If I can get a car for a few thousand less off the lot that is missing a couple things I want or has a couple things I don't want, it's not a big deal to me. I got my Sport S off the lot. I knew I wanted a Sport, and the stuff it was missing was basically just the hitch and a soft top, both of which I added later for cheaper than the packages from factory. It has heated seats and wheel, too, which were things I actually did not want. But hey, guess I'll suffer through it lol

Sponsored

Gadsden11

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I talked to the salesman I have used several times in the past and sent many people to. Told him what I absolutely had to have and he went to work finding one on another lot and making a trade between the two dealerships. This way I got what I wanted but didn't have to wait for it to be built.

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
i special ordered my 2dr jl. i didnt want the dealer adding extra stuff i didnt want.

dbaharold

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
I also needed the trailering package but quickly found out the dealers around here didn't stock many and if they did they were loaded with other stuff I didn't want. I didn't have any confidence in the dealer ordering or adding accessories. They wanted $1,000 for the hitch, wire and aux switches. For about $150, I purchased and installed the Rugged Ridge hitch and Tekonsha T-One Wiring harness. Took less than 2 hours and was really easy to install. Granted no Aux switches .
Here's my thread with more detail.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mods-for-my-motorcycle-carrier.27470/

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

just order it. way less of a hassle and you get the 300 dollar aux switch. the few hundred dollar 220 alt. and the wiring is all ready. i was in your boat and went for the lot and now regret not getting the package from the factory

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
I found one on a lot 2 hours away that had everything I wanted. So I purchased it! :jk:

Use their build and search feature on the website. That's how I found mine. It was easy. Good luck!

Seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
This is EXACTLY what I did. Had a Sahara with a manual transmission and everything else I wanted except for the tow package. Had it thrown in with the price of the car. Took it in a couple days later and they installed it, with the factory wiring in about 6 hours.

The wiring was the longest part, but all it good with NO issues. No biggie, just have them put it in at the dealer. Why wait?
Sponsored