Sponsored

Bumper confusion

ArizonaJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Let me preface this with I posted this in the exterior mod page with 0 replies so maybe someone who knows more that doesn't frequent that page can help me here. Thanks

Okay, so during my research I have figured out that old JK bumpers will fit JLs with brackets. But apparently JL Rubicon fog lights don't fit at all in nearly every bumper that I like.

My question is, what exactly is it from the Rubicon fogs that don't fit? And are they only referring to the steel bumpers or is it all Rubicons that have different fog lights.

I have a Rubicon with a plastic bumper and want to reuse my factory fog lights in a new steel bumper.
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
in the jl there are 3 bumper designs and each one mounts the fog lights differently, but all 3 mount to the frame the same way. The frame mounts for the JL and JK are the same hence why bumpers can be swapped between the 2.

To answer your question about fog lights:

sports have 3 mounting holes on the fog light and will need a bumper compatible with that trim to swap

saharas and and plastic rubicons have a 4 hole mount on the fog lights and they are also a match for the JK 12-up plastic bumper, so a JK bumper with fog light mounts will support those JL fogs. Though to not the JL fog mount is over all bigger than the jk's but you can trim the JLs down to size if it does not fit.

last there is the steel bumper this uses a 2 hole design, i believe it is a match to the jk steel bumper mount but not many aftermarket bumpers fit these style

most JL bumpers out there are just JK bumpers rebranded as JL maybe a slight redesign to match the JL lines better of the JK but because of that the fog lights will most likely work for the sahara and plastic rubicon

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I replaced the Factory plastic bumper on my JL rubicon with LED's with the rugged ridge arcus bumper. The fogs went right in. I can confirm that the plastic bumper with LED fogs use the four hole design for the fogs. The arcus bumper said it isnt compatible with the rubicon fogs, but I guess that is for the steel bumper. I had no problems.

IMG_0394.jpg

OP
OP
ArizonaJLUR

ArizonaJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Sheepjeep and Suffolklou

Thank you! That was exactly what I was so confused about. I definitely feel better about choosing a bumper now

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I replaced the Factory plastic bumper on my JL rubicon with LED's with the rugged ridge arcus bumper. The fogs went right in. I can confirm that the plastic bumper with LED fogs use the four hole design for the fogs. The arcus bumper said it isnt compatible with the rubicon fogs, but I guess that is for the steel bumper. I had no problems.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bumper confusion IMG_0394
Thank-you. I wanted the Arcus for my new Rubicon but was worried about the fogs too.
Sponsored