BulletPoint MagSafe Phone Holder Modification

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
HA! I had a Rok on my Harley back in the day. It was solid for my GPS mount. I didn't even know they made anything for a phone. Thanks!
No doubt! I looked hi and low for a solution and got tired of the RAM X-grip wrestling match every time I got in and out, much easier ;)
Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
With any luck, they'll have this available soon:

JL/JT Dash Mount

The price is right and I can make it a one stop shop.
Trailrecon has some on the website and shows as "in stock", I won't buy from him but won't not pass along the info.

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
The way I managed this is by cutting a close-fitting magsafe-sized hole in the back of the plastic case I use for the iPhone 12. The case is just the generic thin case they sell at T-mobile stores. Any simple case would work.

Then I mounted an Apple magsafe charger (the basic white one) to my dash and the phone grips and stays. The magnetic hold is stronger since the charger touches the back of the phone itself, and the edges of the case help locate the charger to the hole, and offer some support--edge of cut hole to edge of magsafe charger.

I used plain old double-sided mounting tape to stick the magsafe charger to the dash (and on my TJ it mounted to the vacuum gauge I already had mounted to the dash. If you wonder why there is a vacuum gauge mounted to my dash--this is how we got data before ScanGauge ;-)

This combination of hold was enough to be fully secure for the road, and my TJ is not a smooth traveler. But it was not enough hold for trails, so the phone goes back into a safer place while on the trail.

Still figuring this out for the JLR after only a couple weeks.
I like the magsafe charger Tx_Ovrlnd posted up top, and maybe that would be better than the Apple magsafe charger--at least I could use a longer charge cord to get it behind the dash better. The one Jaymz posted also looks promising.

For the moment I've stuck that same Apple magsafe charger on this phone mount:
https://www.amazon.com/Hoolcar-Adjustable-Anti-Shake-Stabilizer-2018-2021/dp/B08XZHPTKX
It works fine on the road. No drops and it's more secure than before because it has support on the side and underneath. But the thickness of the magsafe charger means it can't be held securely on both sides, which is the reason this phone holder might work on the trail.

By the way, this phone holder doesn't grip the balls well enough (strange complaint, right?). Even if you tighten the wingnut in the middle massively, it just spins on one side.

I do like that it ties into the A-pillar grab handle support leaving the dash clean. I'm left-handed so it's ok or better to have the phone on that side.

zw470

First Name
McFly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR
I just have a regular clear case. I might pop for the leather case from Apple since its a lot stronger and start there before cutting anything. Just wondering if there was anything with the ball mount on the market so I can utilize full wireless carplay and charging.
The clear Apple case has a MagSafe ring in it.
Sponsored