Sponsored

BulletPoint MagSafe Phone Holder Modification

jimmym1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here me out....because I'm wondering if anyone has given this a go, but I think I might one day soon here.

My OCD just wont let me have cords hanging all around the Jeep. While I am waiting for my Jeep delivery, I am picking out accessories that I like. So far on the list is the Bulletpoint phone mount for my iPhone and a Wireless Carplay module.

The Bulletpoint phone mount holder seems to be plastic and I was wondering if there would be room to inset an Apple MagSafe charger so when I plug my phone in the mount, I can charge it at the same time. I figured if I can drill a hole half the size of the Magsafe and run the cord behind the dash, I would still have room for my phone to fit and charge.

Anyone accomplish this or maybe something Bulletpoint could create? I feel it would sell like hotcakes.

Just my engineering mind wondering while I was trying to fall asleep dreaming about my October Jeep order that is awaiting parts still.....
Sponsored

loubear

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Recon
Occupation
Waste Management
I ran a long USB cord from armrest to the front dash going through center console area. The only drilling I had to do was in the armrest console corner, was able to run it all the way on the passenger side, up through the dash after taking glove box out momentarily, and then to the top of the dash. I have the Bulletpoint magnet attachment, and love it this way.

OP
OP
jimmym1981

jimmym1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ran a long USB cord from armrest to the front dash going through center console area. The only drilling I had to do was in the armrest console corner, was able to run it all the way on the passenger side, up through the dash after taking glove box out momentarily, and then to the top of the dash. I have the Bulletpoint magnet attachment, and love it this way.
I didn't think of doing that with the magnet attachment. However, you still have to manually plug your phone in correct?

I did see that 67 Designs has a Magsafe charger, but without the side brackets to hold better. With my case, there is no way this would work. I think I am going to give it a go. I have a 2" bit that I probably could get right in the middle. The only issue is how deep can I go before I hit the internal springs.

loubear

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Recon
Occupation
Waste Management
I have a 2021 Rubicon Recon and if I want different navigation, I plug it in, or a long trip, but the wire is pretty hidden.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jimmym1981

jimmym1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://coursemotorsports.com/colle...wireless-induction-charger-magsafe-compatible

You could take off the backing of this and add it to your mount.
My issue is the case on, the magsafe just wont hold the phone and taking the case off each time is a pain.

https://www.67d.com/products/magsafe-holder

67 Desgins have this, the issue is with just the magsafe, I tested at home and my phone will fall off pretty easy. If I can get the spring side arms in addition, this would be amazing. I might have to suck it up and just do what you did with the cords. Still waiting on the Jeep delivery to really feel it out.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
What case are you using? I have the leather magsafe, it has survived a deployment and over a month out in the field. No screen protector even.

Either way, there will be a cord there that you'll need to route in a clean manner. I haven't seen an internalized charger mount, but I'll be keeping my eyes peeled! I think a slightly longer usb cord ran behind the dash and dropped out by the usb port would be as clean as it gets without doing an internal usb plug modification.

OP
OP
jimmym1981

jimmym1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What case are you using? I have the leather magsafe, it has survived a deployment and over a month out in the field. No screen protector even.

Either way, there will be a cord there that you'll need to route in a clean manner. I haven't seen an internalized charger mount, but I'll be keeping my eyes peeled! I think a slightly longer usb cord ran behind the dash and dropped out by the usb port would be as clean as it gets without doing an internal usb plug modification.
I just have a regular clear case. I might pop for the leather case from Apple since its a lot stronger and start there before cutting anything. Just wondering if there was anything with the ball mount on the market so I can utilize full wireless carplay and charging.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I just have a regular clear case. I might pop for the leather case from Apple since its a lot stronger and start there before cutting anything. Just wondering if there was anything with the ball mount on the market so I can utilize full wireless carplay and charging.
For sure. I am wanting to keep the magsafe approach, real tired of plugging in the lightening cable and them eventually wearing out. Once mine gets here I am going to tear into it to see what can be done for clean installs. Wireless carplay is the direction I am going, either through a dongle or the new Alpine headunit.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Check out the RokForm case and RAM ball holder attachment. Locks into place and never slips, moves, nadda. Have to buy a new case too but it's magnetic and helps for YouTube assistance and all sorts of times, at the gym and falls out of your pocket...BAMM, stuck to the machine and not going anywhere now baby!

OP
OP
jimmym1981

jimmym1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check out the RokForm case and RAM ball holder attachment. Locks into place and never slips, moves, nadda. Have to buy a new case too but it's magnetic and helps for YouTube assistance and all sorts of times, at the gym and falls out of your pocket...BAMM, stuck to the machine and not going anywhere now baby!
HA! I had a Rok on my Harley back in the day. It was solid for my GPS mount. I didn't even know they made anything for a phone. Thanks!
Sponsored