Build opinion...?

scott.roams

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Researching...
Wanted to get the opinion of the experts here...

I've never owned a Jeep, but have been saving my pennies for the last year or so. I was initially thinking my build would look like:

'22 JLU Willys
- 3.6L V6 Pentastar
- 6-speed manual
- 3-piece hardtop
- Alpine Speakers
- Tow pkg.
MSRP according to the spreadsheet is approx $45625. NOTE: I'm already aware of dealers doing below invoice pricing. Just used MSRP for simplicity and the sake of this thread.

In addition to the down payment, I'm intending to add a lift + new wheels / 35's + re-gear as my wife & I tow a small teardrop trailer. I'm guessing I'd also require aftermarket fenders for clearance of the 35's.

At this point, am I better off saving a bit longer to simply obtain a Rubicon? MSRP would be approx. $50475 - a difference of less than $5K. I can obtain the 4.88's direct from Jeep as an option with the 6-speed manual + fenders would not be required immediately + 35's would fit on the Rubicon and not require a lift right away. Additionally, revising gear ratio right away on a Willys would void the warranty immediately. I'd only be fronting the cost of new wheels / tires right away vs. lift + re-gear + fenders + wheels/tires. Is all of that correct? Or am I way off-base here?

I really have no problem getting the Willys (not Willys Sport) but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot, so to speak or spend more money in the long run by getting the Willys sooner vs. saving a bit longer and getting a Rubicon.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

I got a fairly nicely optioned 22 JLUR 6mt 4.88's and put Mopar Performance rims and 35 12.50's on it the rims and tires were 4 grand, and hear aftermarket regearing is in the 4-5 grand range so imo you answered your own question, if you can swing it get the Rubicon, and you can get away with just tires.

Good luck with the decision, really wish they had offered the XR with a manual transmission or even 4.88's on the Willys

Regards
Jim

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
Given the minor difference in price compared with what you would have to lay out just for the lift and regear I would say the Rubi would be your best call. Especially since a regear would void the warranty on the Willy's while the Rubi has what you want with the full warranty intact.
Sponsored