BSG added to 2018?

Jergs

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2 Door, 2008 JK Sport 2 Door
I hope this hasnt already been asked before. I have tried to search but haven’t found a real answer. I hear the 2019 models will have the BSG and E-Turbo like the 2018 2.0L Turbo will release with. Would it be possible to add this to the 2018 V6? What kind of gains (hp/torque) will it provide? Would it be worth it to add over a Ripp? Would you be able to do both?
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I hope this hasnt already been asked before. I have tried to search but haven’t found a real answer. I hear the 2019 models will have the BSG and E-Turbo like the 2018 2.0L Turbo will release with. Would it be possible to add this to the 2018 V6? What kind of gains (hp/torque) will it provide? Would it be worth it to add over a Ripp? Would you be able to do both?
I would like to have a retrofit for my V6 for ETorque as well. I can see the Jeep certainly has the infrastructure already built in with the alternator placement, and the void where the 48V battery will go in the 2.0 model.

To answer one of your questions, the BSG in the 3.6 Ram 1500 will give a low RPM boost of 90 Ft-lbs of torque, but will not have an effect on peak numbers.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
The 48V system the Jeeps (and the RAM) are getting doesn't add an e-turbo, perhaps you're getting the terminology confused with FCA's branding of it as eTorque? It'll offer about 90ft/lb of torque right off the line, but it won't add anything past 1500RPM. Should make for some huge driveability gains though, especially for folks with 37s... Might not even need those 5.xx gears anymore.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Wouldn't it just be easier to trade your 2018 for a 2019?

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
My question is how will this work with off-roading? The idea of an instant +90ft/tq sounds nice, but I imagine after the first slight hill climb the battery needs to be charged to be useful again? This would be a pain in the 6mt if you are expecting the TQ but it's not there.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My question is how will this work with off-roading? The idea of an instant +90ft/tq sounds nice, but I imagine after the first slight hill climb the battery needs to be charged to be useful again? This would be a pain in the 6mt if you are expecting the TQ but it's not there.
Currently the E-torque is only available with an automatic, but just how cool would it be with a manual transmission? you're at a dead stop in first gear, then you creep forward using the BSG.

I think in real life I would have the ESS disabled while I am on a trail though, so the battery will be charging while you're waiting for your chance to do the obstacle.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Wouldn't it just be easier to trade your 2018 for a 2019?
He could, but I can tell you right now, he's going to lose about $8-12k in trade-in value in the process. Doubt having a BSG is worth that much money.

OP
OP
Jergs

Jergs

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2 Door, 2008 JK Sport 2 Door
Maybe it would be better to lease now and buy later then.
Im simply just wondering out of curiousity if it was possible or even feasable to considering adding in lue of a ripp or a diesel swap.

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Bikini Sahara Turbo, 2016 Mini Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
LED Lighting
Currently the E-torque is only available with an automatic, but just how cool would it be with a manual transmission? you're at a dead stop in first gear, then you creep forward using the BSG.

I think in real life I would have the ESS disabled while I am on a trail though, so the battery will be charging while you're waiting for your chance to do the obstacle.
I do not like ESS either. Turbo mpg numbers got released today 22/24 with 22 average. The V6 with BSG and manual would be an awesome setup for my intended Sahara purchase, and could produce city numbers of 20+ mpg.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I do not like ESS either. Turbo mpg numbers got released today 22/24 with 22 average. The V6 with BSG and manual would be an awesome setup for my intended Sahara purchase, and could produce city numbers of 20+ mpg.
Oh don't get me wrong, I really take advantage of ESS in my daily drive, but I probably wouldn't do that on a trail.

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LED Lighting
Oh don't get me wrong, I really take advantage of ESS in my daily drive, but I probably wouldn't do that on a trail.
Got it. I test drove a manual and the ESS was quite annoying. It was less noticeable with the auto. I'm glad you're enjoying your new ride.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Got it. I test drove a manual and the ESS was quite annoying. It was less noticeable with the auto. I'm glad you're enjoying your new ride.
Really? I would think the ESS would be a lot more predictable with the manual. I never test drove the Manual because at the time I got my Jeep, the only Manual they had was fully loaded and was above my price range... go figure.

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LED Lighting
I suppose I would get used to it over time, but I did shut it off during the test drive. I have heard from others that ESS works better with a stick. We will see.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I suppose I would get used to it over time, but I did shut it off during the test drive. I have heard from others that ESS works better with a stick. We will see.
heh, I'm stuck with my auto for a while now. Although I really won't complain about this 8 speed. ZF makes a good transmission.
Sponsored