First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Is there a difference in front brake pads between models? I want to try out the bendix fleet metlock pads as they are FF rated and reasonably priced. But trying to see if the pads are the same between models, I know the calipers and rotors differ some up front. My rock auto search seems to indicate pads are the same though.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
There should be 2 different types, one for the sport and the special trims associated with it, and another for the Sahara or Rubicon models. The “big brake kit”.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
There should be 2 different types, one for the sport and the special trims associated with it, and another for the Sahara or Rubicon models. The “big brake kit”.
Yeah, I'm not sure regarding pads, I know the rotors and calipers are different, front rotors are thicker. IIRC the pads are the same part # for all models but???

OP
OP
XJfanatic

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yes but, all my research shows the below
Yeah, I'm not sure regarding pads, I know the rotors and calipers are different, front rotors are thicker. IIRC the pads are the same part # for all models but???
Yea I can’t get a definite answer. From what I can tell pads are the same with calipers being tweaked to accommodate differences in rotor thickness.

OP
OP
XJfanatic

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Even the insanely priced mopar pads list all front axle applications

FA59534E-C246-41FB-B77E-E553259E8DB7.png

Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Loosely related to the OP question...

I usually order Akebono brake pads, mainly out of habit and because I have had good experiences.

Akebono lists a one size fits all for the front of a Wrangler JL, but as far as I can tell it does not list a rear at all.

I have time to wait, but am hoping the rear pads become as easy to get as the fronts.

OP
OP
XJfanatic

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Loosely related to the OP question...

I usually order Akebono brake pads, mainly out of habit and because I have had good experiences.

Akebono lists a one size fits all for the front of a Wrangler JL, but as far as I can tell it does not list a rear at all.

I have time to wait, but am hoping the rear pads become as easy to get as the fronts.
noticed that with a number of pad brands. I think it probably due to having to produce multiple styles.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Not too many "performance" pad options for the JL platform, Powerstop are a mid-grade pad and seem to be a decent improvement, still not what I would consider a performance type pad though. Was informed that Hawk is making sets for the JL so that's promising. If EBC and Stoptech can get some sets for us that would be a nice upgrade I'm assuming.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What is your mileage? I am at 73k and still at least half life left. Back to topic will be a day when pads are needed, what works for Rubicon..
Sponsored