Brake controller

JB3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5, Jeep JLU
I have a JLUR with the tow package and it has 2 connectors included: 4 pin vertical connector and a 7-pin circular connection. The latter looks more like 6 pins but there is a center post.

It's still unclear to me if this will work with an electric braking controller as is or if I need additional wiring. I have a dual axel enclosed trailer that weighs roughly 2000 lbs empty and it pushes me around a little under load. My hope is that a braking controller would help.

I'm looking at the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 controller but I'm open to suggestions. It's my understanding that the install involves slicing a pigtail wire from the controller to something behind the dash but that's as detailed as I understand it.

Has anyone done this or have any suggestions, tips, recommendations, or DIY guidance?
Sponsored

Last edited:

the_webers_inc

First Name
T. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd, 2011 Subaru Forester X Premium 5spd

Parker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLURD
Occupation
40 year telecom tech, now Happily Retired!
I just finished installing the Mopar hitch and wiring harness. The hitch install is pretty simple. The harness was a bit of work. The instructions were drawn up by sombody that never did the install.

Anyway, the brake sense wire , or brake light trigger, is indeed in the passenger side footwell. As JeepinPete says, it's behind the side kick panel. I took my panel off and was looking everywhere for a green/yellow stripe wire. Opened up the harness and poked all around and went nuts looking for it. But, lo and behold, after bending my spine into a pretzel and standing on my head, I looked way up in there and spotted a small wire coil taped up to the harness. Got that wire undone and uncoiled and shazam!!! it' the green/ yellow stripe wire you need!!!

I have confirmed it is the correct wire as I have installed a Tekonsha 90195 P3 controller and it works perfectly!

Almost forgot, I used this harness with the Tekonsha controller https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07H84C82J?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
This harness has a diode in the brake sense/brake light wire. I have not tested that a diode is absolutely required, but including a diode makes sense to me to avoid any weird feedback.
Sponsored