MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Serious question: What would you recommend as a good whiskey for a previous nondrinker to start out on?
My recommendation for intro-to-bourbon is to start with any wheated bourbon. All this means is that wheat is the predominant ingredient in the mash bill. This gives the bourbon a softer taste (whereas higher rye content makes it spicier). Wheated bourbons like Maker's Mark, W.L. Weller, 1792, are great places to start.

Stick with bourbons of a proof below 100. The lower alcohol content will make it easier to discern the various flavors which then makes it easier to determine what flavors you like.

Download the app "Distiller" or use their website, <distiller.com>. They do pretty good reviews, allow for users to write their own reviews, and have a ton of variety in what they review. They also add a Flavor Profile chart to their reviews. When you find a bourbon (or any whiskey) you like, look it up and become familiar with its Flavor Profile. Then, when you find a whiskey you want to try, look up its profile and it will serve as a guide to help determine if you're likely to enjoy it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... 1633960771801
Sponsored

Bamabww

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys, Snazzberry.
Occupation
Retired and loving it.
My recommendation for intro-to-bourbon is to start with any wheated bourbon.
Thank you. I have downloaded the Distillers App as well. Appreciate the suggestions.

2020 Rubi Diesel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
We went on bourbon trail for a b-day celebration. I bought some Woodford double barrel(after the tasting) , EH Taylor Small batch, and Blanton's(at Buffalo Trace, it was going quick and they had limits) over the summer and haven't touched them yet. They are for the bar and I'm not supposed to open them until I finish it, according to the wife. So, I have 4 doors left to paint and I'm waiting on the bar top to be installed and I will be finished... 🥃🥃

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Funny story happened to me today.

So probably a lot of us know that the uber-rare Buffalo Trace Antique Collection just recently shipped out to the few lucky retailers that will get them. On my way back to work from lunch I had to drop off a package at the UPS store and my regular liquor store is nearby. I figured I’d ask just for giggles because I know they get shipments on Wednesdays. I walk in, there’s nobody up front at the register, and I hear an unfamiliar voice yell hello from the back of the store. I walk back and there’s a new young girl (early 20’s) who I’ve never seen before and is obviously brand new. I say hi. She asks if I’m looking for anything she can help me with. I jokingly say that I’ll buy any of the rare Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottles if she has any. She smiles and says “We had some but it sold out. Great news is, I just got a case and was about to stock it. You want to buy it all?” Not gonna lie, I got somewhat aroused. Yes! She goes in the back and promptly returns with a whole case of this.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... 0E94A6D0-3D1E-40FD-B143-FE9722D0F05A

I informed her that wasn’t the Antique Collection bottles that I was looking for and she seemed disappointed, like she’d let me down. My erection went away… 😟

CJACKZ

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2003 Expedition, 2003 C230 kompressor
Occupation
Making Trash

Sponsored

OGPizzaBoy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Almost finished (well, close enough to stock it at least).

Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... 56F01ECF-FF10-4862-BE7E-030B9AB53885

Very nice!

My wife has allotted me a single shelf for my bottles, but I'm working on her. I've made a little progress, she surprised me with a bottle of Blanton's :)

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Almost finished (well, close enough to stock it at least).

I liked it in it’s original state, but it turned out really nice. Great job.

CJACKZ

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Making Trash
I liked it in it’s original state, but it turned out really nice. Great job.
I was torn whether to leave it original or to paint it. The deciding factor was the modifications to the shelves that I could not replicate the color or style. The colors were between the indigo blue or a dark slate/black.

In the end, I have no regrets. I will be starting on the one to sell soon.

Sponsored

CJACKZ

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Making Trash
On a side not, I will be in Holland, OH next week for work. Any good liquor stores I should hit while I’m in town?

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... bourbon

Little behind on posting this picture but picked these up a little bit ago. So far my favorite is the Manifest Rye, and the only one I haven't tried is Blue Note. I had Yellowstone at a tasting and it was excellent.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase

Little behind on posting this picture but picked these up a little bit ago. So far my favorite is the Manifest Rye, and the only one I haven't tried is Blue Note. I had Yellowstone at a tasting and it was excellent.
Love me some Yellowstone! I also have yet to have a bad whiskey from Barrell.

2020 Rubi Diesel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Funny story happened to me today.

So probably a lot of us know that the uber-rare Buffalo Trace Antique Collection just recently shipped out to the few lucky retailers that will get them. On my way back to work from lunch I had to drop off a package at the UPS store and my regular liquor store is nearby. I figured I’d ask just for giggles because I know they get shipments on Wednesdays. I walk in, there’s nobody up front at the register, and I hear an unfamiliar voice yell hello from the back of the store. I walk back and there’s a new young girl (early 20’s) who I’ve never seen before and is obviously brand new. I say hi. She asks if I’m looking for anything she can help me with. I jokingly say that I’ll buy any of the rare Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottles if she has any. She smiles and says “We had some but it sold out. Great news is, I just got a case and was about to stock it. You want to buy it all?” Not gonna lie, I got somewhat aroused. Yes! She goes in the back and promptly returns with a whole case of this.

I informed her that wasn’t the Antique Collection bottles that I was looking for and she seemed disappointed, like she’d let me down. My erection went away… 😟

Is the George T. Stagg the only one of the collection?