MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Just tried the trader Joes Whiskey Bourbon. I have to admit i was extremely hesitant but for 15 bucks i had to try it. I would recommend it if you can get your hands on a bottle
There's plenty of great <$20 bottles out there. Old Grand-Dad Bonded, Old Grand-Dad 114, Rittenhouse Rye, Old Overholt...

Fun fact: if you order a whiskey drink (neat or cocktail) at a decent whiskey bar in Kentucky and ask for one of those or any good-tasting, not-expensive whiskey, there's a good chance you'll get a handshake from the bartender which can lead to some more attentive service and access to some bottles that might not be on the shelf...

If you want to see someone get excoriated at a whiskey bar in Kentucky, convince an unsuspecting friend to order an Old Fashioned with Pappy...
Sponsored

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
There's plenty of great <$20 bottles out there. Old Grand-Dad Bonded, Old Grand-Dad 114, Rittenhouse Rye, Old Overholt...

Fun fact: if you order a whiskey drink (neat or cocktail) at a decent whiskey bar in Kentucky and ask for one of those or any good-tasting, not-expensive whiskey, there's a good chance you'll get a handshake from the bartender which can lead to some more attentive service and access to some bottles that might not be on the shelf...

If you want to see someone get excoriated at a whiskey bar in Kentucky, convince an unsuspecting friend to order an Old Fashioned with Pappy...
If you order Pappy mixed with anything everyone will punch you!

Watched a couple guys in my golf league crack a bottle of Pappy 12yr, pour the first one neat, and then began shooting Pappy followed by fireball and shotgunning a Beer. Made me sick.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
If you order Pappy mixed with anything everyone will punch you!

Watched a couple guys in my golf league crack a bottle of Pappy 12yr, pour the first one neat, and then began shooting Pappy followed by fireball and shotgunning a Beer. Made me sick.
Yes indeed. I watched this unfold in a KY bar in the not-too-distant past. The poor bastard was trying show how off for some ladies and, while he got his $120 Old Fashioned, ended up having the bartender ignore him for the rest of the night. Meanwhile, my buddies and I got the handshake and stayed in the bar with the bartender and manager chatting about whiskey and life until about 3:00 a.m.; two hours after they closed...

That's a painfully sad Pappy story... My collection is broken up into four main categories: What's Open, What's Not Open, What I'll Share Anyone, and What I'll Share With Only Those "Who Know".

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes indeed. I watched this unfold in a KY bar in the not-too-distant past. The poor bastard was trying show how off for some ladies and, while he got his $120 Old Fashioned, ended up having the bartender ignore him for the rest of the night. Meanwhile, my buddies and I got the handshake and stayed in the bar with the bartender and manager chatting about whiskey and life until about 3:00 a.m.; two hours after they closed...

That's a painfully sad Pappy story... My collection is broken up into four main categories: What's Open, What's Not Open, What I'll Share Anyone, and What I'll Share With Only Those "Who Know".
I definitely keep the good stuff for myself or those I know will appreciate it. Almost like being “sponge-worthy.” That’s for the Seinfeld fans out there.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’ve got an unopened bottle of Van Winkle 12 year. You can believe that when I open it, some of it will be used to make myself a whiskey sour. You can drink yours however you like.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I don’t have Pappy. I have never had Pappy. When I get my first bottle I will drink it straight, neat, with one cube, with two cubes and probably make the best Old Fashioned I have ever made myself.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
my weekend choices change a lot as i like to try new things for Bourbon and Scotch. Angles envy is pretty good weekend drink. I did just finished a bottle of Kirkland Signature 22 year single malt scotch for special occasions is really good only coming in at 80 a bottle. its close to being a good night cap drink when camping and on Fridays after work. MY go to make a great old fashion Woodford reserve
That Kirkland 20, 22, & 23 yo Single malt with Sherry cask finish is nearly as good as any Macallan I have ever had. My poser friends will not drink it, though.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Price point literally has nothing to do with “Good” whiskey. I actually like Jim Beam Double Oak and Rebel Yell at $17. All comes down to the pallet tasting it.

Sponsored

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got an unopened bottle of Van Winkle 12 year. You can believe that when I open it, some of it will be used to make myself a whiskey sour. You can drink yours however you like.
Purely out of inquisitiveness... have you ever made a two of the same whiskey cocktails at the same time, but with two different whiskies; one high-end and one mid-to-low-shelf?

I personally don't like cocktails because they override or totally negate the taste of the whiskey for me. So I'm curious if anyone's done this to see if the cocktail actually does taste better with a high-end whiskey. My mind just can't fathom that it would...

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Purely out of inquisitiveness... have you ever made a two of the same whiskey cocktails at the same time, but with two different whiskies; one high-end and one mid-to-low-shelf?

I personally don't like cocktails because they override or totally negate the taste of the whiskey for me. So I'm curious if anyone's done this to see if the cocktail actually does taste better with a high-end whiskey. My mind just can't fathom that it would...
Absolutely. It does make a difference. The difference is more pronounced depending on what type of cocktail it is and the amount of difference between the two liquors. If you use some basic $15 rot gut 3 year old whiskey vs an 8-12 year old smooth drinker it tastes different. At least to my tastes.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

I agree with @Chocolate Thunder. I love me some Old Fashioned's. Being here in Kentucky each bar tender has their little twist and it is fun to order. From the type of bourbon to the prep, to the type of ice. Some sweeter, some not so sweet.

For me at home I totally agree they taste different. For me you really can get a Rye Bourbon to taste spectacular in an OF. Again I also sort of agree with you in that a cheap bourbon doesn't taste awful in an OF because the other ingredients can hide the bad form but a good bourbon in an OF is spectacular.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Again I also sort of agree with you in that a cheap bourbon doesn't taste awful in an OF because the other ingredients can hide the bad form but a good bourbon in an OF is spectacular.
And I agree with this feeling as well. The difference between crap and good stuff is much more pronounced if you drink it neat or rocks or with just a splash of water than in any mixed cocktail. But even mixed there’s a discernible difference.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

That Kirkland 20, 22, & 23 yo Single malt with Sherry cask finish is nearly as good as any Macallan I have ever had. My poser friends will not drink it, though.
their loss your gain! more bottles for me. LOL

MGP in Indiana makes about 50 or 60 name brands and dozens more private label “house” brands like the ones for Costco, Total Wine, and many others. Many of them aren’t bad. Some are considered premium.

If a bottle says it’s distilled in Indiana, it’s MGP. Here’s a partial list. There’s many more.
https://www.great-taste.net/tidbits-kudos/industry-news/whisky-brands-that-are-made-at-mgp/

Thank you for the link! that is quite a list! 🤤
Sponsored