First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I want some Sugarhouse Bourbon without going to one of the handful of states they sell in. They’re expanding and will distribute around here eventually.
Sponsored

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Made a trip to Kentucky two weeks ago and spent too much time and money at Justin's House of Bourbon.

Blanton's Red Label (Japan only) and Old Carter Bourbon (better than Pappy, IMHO).

Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... 1628533494140

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Made a trip to Kentucky two weeks ago and spent too much time and money at Justin's House of Bourbon.

Blanton's Red Label (Japan only) and Old Carter Bourbon (better than Pappy, IMHO).

What’s the Old Carter running?
My new go to is New Riff Single Barrel. Have not tried their Small Batch, but will be doing so once I find a bottle.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed

Were headed down in October, going to have to take the Yukon Denali as were planning on making some major purchases and will need the space

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
What’s the Old Carter running?
My new go to is New Riff Single Barrel. Have not tried their Small Batch, but will be doing so once I find a bottle.
The Ol Carter Bourbon was $350. Justin's had the Old Carter American Whiskey (which I actually prefer to the Bourbon) for $500. But I also found the American at Toddy's Liquor Store in Bardstown for $400.

Toddy's is another must-go-to location.

Sponsored

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Were headed down in October, going to have to take the Yukon Denali as were planning on making some major purchases and will need the space
Love it! If you're going to do whiskey hunting, skip the distilleries. They've all turned into pure tourist traps and none of them sell anything worthwhile any more.

We used to go to Willett to get their 10yr and 13yr, but they don't sell them ever since they "upgraded their gift shop..." Same with Buffalo Trace, Maker's Mark, Heaven Hill, etc. They're catering to the folks who don't know any better.

Stick to the liquor stores if you want to find anything rare or otherwise noteworthy.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I got to sample the New Riff Single Barrel bourbon at Justin's as well. I was pleasantly surprised by it. Really nice for a sub-$50 bottle.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Yeah it's too bad. We did a few the first time a few years ago, Makers, Four Roses, Willett, and Buffalo Trace but did some shopping and fell in love with the Liquor Barn lol.

Any "go to" places you can recommend?

Love it! If you're going to do whiskey hunting, skip the distilleries. They've all turned into pure tourist traps and none of them sell anything worthwhile any more.

We used to go to Willett to get their 10yr and 13yr, but they don't sell them ever since they "upgraded their gift shop..." Same with Buffalo Trace, Maker's Mark, Heaven Hill, etc. They're catering to the folks who don't know any better.

Stick to the liquor stores if you want to find anything rare or otherwise noteworthy.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it's too bad. We did a few the first time a few years ago, Makers, Four Roses, Willett, and Buffalo Trace but did some shopping and fell in love with the Liquor Barn lol.

Any "go to" places you can recommend?
For Distilleries:
  • Heaven Hill has a good tour and a good tasting experience.
  • Old Forester in downtown Louisville is also an interesting one.
    • You can also walk from there to Angel's Envy, Michter's, Peerless, etc.
  • Woodford Reserve is absolutely beautiful
  • Jim Beam has a great tour where you (at least used to be able to) bottle your own Knob Creek Single Barrel and imprint your thumbprint on the wax when they seal it. We also lucked out and had Booker Noe's granddaughter as our tour guide. That made it extra interesting.
For Stores:
  • Justin's House of Bourbon (in both Louisville and Lexington, but I prefer Lexington).
    • You can buy AND sell here
    • They have a rather amazing selection from which you can sample (buy a dram)
    • They don't markup anything they get from a distributor
    • If you buy something they bought from a private collector, prepare for some sticker shock (we saw a $30,000 bottle of E.H. Taylor Warehouse C Tornado Surviving)
    • Hopefully Brent is working. If so, you're in for a good experience. Tell him the "three great tippers from Texas" sent you and see if he remembers.
  • Toddy's Liquors in Bardstown
    • The place looks like a dump but what is behind the counter will blow your mind
    • The store used to be owed by the Beam family and the new owner is still close with them so they get some seriously good stuff.
  • The Blind Pig (Bardstown)
    • A super small store but they usually have stuff you can't find anywhere else at reasonable/comparable prices
    • They also have a Speakeasy bar around the corner that has a decent whiskey list at not-exorbitant prices
  • If you have time, just type "liquor store" into your preferred navigation app and hit any one you can that isn't a chain. You'll often stumble across some amazing stuff.
For Bars:
  • The Hilton across from Rupp arena (couple blocks down from Justin's H.O.B.) has a great whiskey selection and most of the bartenders make a mean Old Fashioned
  • Whiskey on Rye
    • A few blocks from Rupp Arena as well. Stupid good whiskey selection, but you'll pay top dollar for a dram
    • Their food is really good as well
For Food
  • Skyline Chili - you have to try it at least once
    • "Cincinnati-style" chili based on Greek heritage
  • Ramsey's Diner
    • Best Kentucky Hot Brown you'll find
    • Ramsey's Andover, 3090 Helmsdale Pl Suite 270, Lexington, KY 40509
  • Great Bagel & Bakery
    • Near UK's campus
    • Seriously good bagels/bagel sandwiches and pretty good coffee

Sponsored

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Picked this one up from my guy. He said they usually only get a few bottles and it is done. It’s from Michters. Trying tonight.
I'm a big fan of Shenk's! They also release Bomberger's once a year as well. That's tasty stuff, too. Honestly, I've not had anything made by Michter's that I haven't loved.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
HOLY CRAP MATT!!! I'm going to go home drunk, broke and with TRUCK FULL O' Bourbon. Thanks SO MUCH! WOW

For Distilleries:
  • Heaven Hill has a good tour and a good tasting experience.
  • Old Forester in downtown Louisville is also an interesting one.
    • You can also walk from there to Angel's Envy, Michter's, Peerless, etc.
  • Woodford Reserve is absolutely beautiful
  • Jim Beam has a great tour where you (at least used to be able to) bottle your own Knob Creek Single Barrel and imprint your thumbprint on the wax when they seal it. We also lucked out and had Booker Noe's granddaughter as our tour guide. That made it extra interesting.
For Stores:
  • Justin's House of Bourbon (in both Louisville and Lexington, but I prefer Lexington).
    • You can buy AND sell here
    • They have a rather amazing selection from which you can sample (buy a dram)
    • They don't markup anything they get from a distributor
    • If you buy something they bought from a private collector, prepare for some sticker shock (we saw a $30,000 bottle of E.H. Taylor Warehouse C Tornado Surviving)
    • Hopefully Brent is working. If so, you're in for a good experience. Tell him the "three great tippers from Texas" sent you and see if he remembers.
  • Toddy's Liquors in Bardstown
    • The place looks like a dump but what is behind the counter will blow your mind
    • The store used to be owed by the Beam family and the new owner is still close with them so they get some seriously good stuff.
  • The Blind Pig (Bardstown)
    • A super small store but they usually have stuff you can't find anywhere else at reasonable/comparable prices
    • They also have a Speakeasy bar around the corner that has a decent whiskey list at not-exorbitant prices
  • If you have time, just type "liquor store" into your preferred navigation app and hit any one you can that isn't a chain. You'll often stumble across some amazing stuff.
For Bars:
  • The Hilton across from Rupp arena (couple blocks down from Justin's H.O.B.) has a great whiskey selection and most of the bartenders make a mean Old Fashioned
  • Whiskey on Rye
    • A few blocks from Rupp Arena as well. Stupid good whiskey selection, but you'll pay top dollar for a dram
    • Their food is really good as well
For Food
  • Skyline Chili - you have to try it at least once
    • "Cincinnati-style" chili based on Greek heritage
  • Ramsey's Diner
    • Best Kentucky Hot Brown you'll find
    • Ramsey's Andover, 3090 Helmsdale Pl Suite 270, Lexington, KY 40509
  • Great Bagel & Bakery
    • Near UK's campus
    • Seriously good bagels/bagel sandwiches and pretty good coffee

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Let us know how you like it
Man it was excellent! One of the reasons I like Reservoir so much is I can really pick out the layers of flavor. With this wheat, there are notes of cherry and cinnamon and after it’s gone you can smell the glass and tobacco is right there. This will be a regular on my shelf for sure!
Sponsored