Borla or Magnflow?

Redhawk_jlu

First Name
Tauland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
The Borla Touring is what I landed on. Considered the S version but I figured exhausts are the opposite of tires... I’d rather undershoot the note I’m going for vs. having something too loud/obnoxious and want to yank it off right away. I also noted that I see more S and ATAK versions for sale; that could mean they are more popular so more are always available for sale or people thought they were louder than they expected and are looking to sell them.

In my opinion, the Touring is not the same noise as the stock. It is definitely a little deeper and slightly louder than stock; no drone when cruising but has more of an audible deeper note under acceleration. My friend who helped me install it thought I was going to have this shitty, loud, ricer sounding exhaust; he was going to bust my chops driving back from his shop but he agreed that the Touring was a great swap. The Jeeps should come with the Touring as the OEM exhaust for the note alone. You can hear the difference but it is far from obnoxious or trying to imitate a sports car.

Good luck with your decision.
Thankyou sir.
Sponsored

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I went with Magna Flow and couldn't be happier. The build quality is solid and the sound is perfect. (There is no drone whatsoever).

There is a huge improvement over stock as it has a nice growl to it. I purchased mine in black to compliment the black accents on my MOAB. I also like the look (and sound) of having dual tips.

Just remember its a Jeep and won't sound like a muscle car or anything resembling a V8.

Good luck-
Jeep Wrangler JL Borla or Magnflow? 20201207_161902

gsxr310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Borla S type here as well! For me, I didn’t want anything obnoxious exhaust sounds. Experienced plenty of those in my younger years! In cab noise is minimal especially in 7th and 8th. But once you put a heavy foot, she will get loud! Performance wise? Not sure since I’m on 40’s

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Since im between to choose from Stype and attack what is your suggestion?i mean i like the sound but i need to chill my ears in long run lol.
I can appreciate your desire to chill your ears. The S-Type was fine for me until I took a road trip from Houston to Big Sky, Montana and back. After that trip, I reinstalled the OEM system and took another trip from Houston to Dillon, CO and back. The difference in sound and comfort in the cabin was night and day.

Around town and on short trips, the S-Type was fine, perhaps even fun, but listening to it for hours on end on trips that long made me realize it is just too loud (for me). I have to believe the ATAK would be even worse.

I guess it depends on use case and desired sound. I am not sure if this helps, but hopefully a bit of clarity about the sound.

PS... I have a brand new in the box S-Type for sale if you are interested 😁

Redhawk_jlu

First Name
Tauland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I can appreciate your desire to chill your ears. The S-Type was fine for me until I took a road trip from Houston to Big Sky, Montana and back. After that trip, I reinstalled the OEM system and took another trip from Houston to Dillon, CO and back. The difference in sound and comfort in the cabin was night and day.

Around town and on short trips, the S-Type was fine, perhaps even fun, but listening to it for hours on end on trips that long made me realize it is just too loud (for me). I have to believe the ATAK would be even worse.

I guess it depends on use case and desired sound. I am not sure if this helps, but hopefully a bit of clarity about the sound.

PS... I have a brand new in the box S-Type for sale if you are interested 😁
Hahaha i do like 2-3 hr drive with it nothing further since i dont use it as a daily drive.how much u want for that lol im located in Canada though Toronto.
Hm i had a magnaflow cut back on my jk but it was quite to me but noticeable at other jeepers.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Hahaha i do like 2-3 hr drive with it nothing further since i dont use it as a daily drive.how much u want for that lol im located in Canada though Toronto.
Hm i had a magnaflow cut back on my jk but it was quite to me but noticeable at other jeepers.
I think the shipping would be a killer to Canada and customs would be in there somewhere.

Magnaflow is likely my next system after I sell the Borla.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Get the Borla ATAK. It's not as loud as the manufacturer stated for being so loud. In fact, it's exactly what you want; it has deep tone , mild growl and no drone at all. I've got mine for a year right now and i feel so disapointed because it isn't as loud as i expected . So lately i've been thinking to get rid of them and get something much louder. Either the Flowmaster outlaw or The Gibson mulisha
I just added the flowmaster outlaw and really like it, if you put your foot down it can be almost loud over 4500 rpm but you also feel the increase in torque/HP. If you drive normal its not loud but when you get over 4000 and have the throttle more than 50% its very fun!! I would get it again and considering a decent muffler skid plate is $250+ the clearance gained is worth it.
outlaw-jpg.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I went Magnaflow axle back in stainless finish. @XTJake from Extreme Terrain here on the forum helped me with the selection 2 or 2.5 years ago when they first came out. The sound is really perfect. Never obnoxious, but man does it sound good when on the pipe! The mounting had a few little challenges, so I wound up having to take it to a friend at a muffler shop. He got it on there perfectly in every dimension, so it mounts beautifully to the JL.

I know you said you won't do any off-roading but I'll tell you this thing has taken a royal beating since I got it, so it is VERY well built and of stainless with high strength. From Moab to Windrock and many places in between, the tips have been slammed on and dragged over rocks many, many times. The outside around the tips have some dents, but the outside edge has remained round and the inside shape has not suffered one bit. The stock exhaust tip would have been completely smashed after only the first couple of hits. You can't tell mine has taken abuse until you get right up to it, and I mean inches up to it.

I don't know much about the sound of the Borla, but I've only heard good things about them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Borla or Magnflow? l2Q3oQK

Btw, I've not needed a skid plate. The muffler itself has never been touched. Only the tips have taken abuse, and like I said, they've held up wonderfully.

Oh, and I've got many, many highway miles and hours and it is no bother, at all. It really only comes to life when you stomp on it, and man does it sound good.

Last edited:

TimnTexas

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Blackbear
I have been trying to figure out the best exhaust option also. I want to have the performance with the minimal increase in sound. I had the magnaflow on my JKU 3.6L and it looked awesome. There was no drone at cruising, but I am looking for something a little quieter this go around on my JLU. I have the 2.0L so the turbo probably muffles a lot of sound level in itself. I am trying to decided between Borla and Corsa touring models this time around. Neither has drone, but the question is which one is less obtrusive or quieter from 1500 to 3500 rpm normal driving under moderate load. I want to hear a better exhaust but long trips would be a pain if it were too much.

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
The Borla Touring is what I landed on. Considered the S version but I figured exhausts are the opposite of tires... I’d rather undershoot the note I’m going for vs. having something too loud/obnoxious and want to yank it off right away. I also noted that I see more S and ATAK versions for sale; that could mean they are more popular so more are always available for sale or people thought they were louder than they expected and are looking to sell them.

In my opinion, the Touring is not the same noise as the stock. It is definitely a little deeper and slightly louder than stock; no drone when cruising but has more of an audible deeper note under acceleration. My friend who helped me install it thought I was going to have this shitty, loud, ricer sounding exhaust; he was going to bust my chops driving back from his shop but he agreed that the Touring was a great swap. The Jeeps should come with the Touring as the OEM exhaust for the note alone. You can hear the difference but it is far from obnoxious or trying to imitate a sports car.

Good luck with your decision.
did you install it only for the sound? Any other benefits?

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
did you install it only for the sound? Any other benefits?
Sound and I picked it up for a good deal locally since someone else was going with the higher clearance version. Trying to get increased HP from just changing the exhaust without some tune is folly.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I went with the axle back dual outlet exhaust from in stainless from MBRP. Sounds perfect, louder than stock but not overly loud with no drone
Sponsored