Sponsored

Best place to live?

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I'm in the same boat, all of the above requirements with the following additional:

1. Great public schools, and state colleges / universities

2. Preferably no front license plate requirement

I like the east coast ish area since we have family in FL, OH, VA, NC and PA

I'm leaning towards western PA with western MI as a close #2, I grew up in western PA so I'd know the area. I'm not happy about the current reports I'm hearing about getting harassed for no doors though :/
Sponsored

Zenk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely not Northern Virginia. All concrete and people everywhere. I pay to park everywhere (Costco, Mall, Grocery store), pay to drive on the highway (unless I want to sit in traffic), liberal, crazy laws, anti gun, sirens every night, I go through metal detectors two or three times a day, etc..... sorry - I had to vent. I feel better now....thanks....(I miss Georgia).....
Absolutely AGREE!... but, I miss Michigan!

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
I’m looking for the best place to move my family...
Needs:
Trails (with rocks) for Jeeps, mountain bikes, and hiking.
Clean, clear lakes and rivers for swimming and kayaking.
Snow to snowboard/ski.
Enough sun and warmth but not humidity.
Trees.
Actual mountains.
...I’ve lived all over but haven’t found that forever place.
Maybe, I’m just a gypsy.
How about SW Colorado? Durango/Silverton/Ouray area? Rivers have cleaned up since the mining action has diminished in the past 75 years and the area checks everything from your list. The wife and I go there every fall and love it. I would move there for the same reasons if I could retire but alas...the Dallas area is my home for now and it only checks of the sun/warmth portion of your list and takes it to the extreme.

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
I would not recommend moving to California due to numerous shenanigans and high taxation.

California has a lot to offer, mountains, deserts, beaches etc. Sadly all the beauty the state has to offer, is overshadowed by the poor management due to a certain political party and its policies.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
In today’s world, political climate would weigh heavily on wherever I decided to move to. Not happening though, my family has been on the same spot since 1795. My roots are too deep here to pull up.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Needs:
Snow to snowboard/ski.
Trees.
Actual mountains.
Maybe, I’m just a gypsy.
Florida

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
I'd say one of the four corner states if the other areas mentioned aren't feasible. Just stay far away from Connecticut, this place is horrible...
@OldGuyNewJeep , I'd be interested in hearing why you think CT is a good place to live. I ask as I encounter very negative perspective on a daily basis that tells me otherwise. What part of the state do you live in? Not saying your wrong by any means but rather would like someone to show me the right side of things here.

Don't get me wrong, I've lived here all but 5 years of my life when I lived in Houston TX. Going for top down drives you can find some great roads. Beaches are decent but I do wish we could drive on with the Jeep. So I do like living here as most of my family is here but the cost of living is making it harder and harder to stay. Most in my family close to retirement age plan to move out when they do retire citing cost of living. My son live in TX and talked about moving here but looked at cost of living and is having second thoughts.

To my knowledge there is no legal place to off road a Jeep or ATV/UTV other than private property you own or get permission.
Mountain biking here is really good but again legal trails are limited. My favorite was closed due to people abusing the privilege.
Cost of living is one of the highest in the country and climbing.
Lakes are great but don't plan on living near one. Property is expensive and towns typically add an additional tax for the privilege.
Skiing and actual real mountains are a few hours drive away. Although there are a couple of small ski areas in the state that are decent for a quick fix.
Climate is good. Typically only a few humid days a year. Depending on what part of the state you live in it does get decently cold. Where I live is usually 5 degrees cooler than 10 minutes east.

iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i Sportline
Sounds like Harrisburg, PA area to me. I spent a few years in Hershey, PA....being from Los Angeles, and a die hard west coast fan, I can admit that Hershey, PA is a wonderful little town to raise kids, with enough sun, backroads, and some trails in the Pokonos mountains....and its only a 3 hour drive to Manhattan, NY incase the family wants some big city time.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely not Northern Virginia. All concrete and people everywhere. I pay to park everywhere (Costco, Mall, Grocery store), pay to drive on the highway (unless I want to sit in traffic), liberal, crazy laws, anti gun, sirens every night, I go through metal detectors two or three times a day, etc..... sorry - I had to vent. I feel better now....thanks....(I miss Georgia).....
Come on back!!

Sponsored

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
@OldGuyNewJeep , I'd be interested in hearing why you think CT is a good place to live. I ask as I encounter very negative perspective on a daily basis that tells me otherwise. What part of the state do you live in? Not saying your wrong by any means but rather would like someone to show me the right side of things here.

Don't get me wrong, I've lived here all but 5 years of my life when I lived in Houston TX. Going for top down drives you can find some great roads. Beaches are decent but I do wish we could drive on with the Jeep. So I do like living here as most of my family is here but the cost of living is making it harder and harder to stay. Most in my family close to retirement age plan to move out when they do retire citing cost of living. My son live in TX and talked about moving here but looked at cost of living and is having second thoughts.

To my knowledge there is no legal place to off road a Jeep or ATV/UTV other than private property you own or get permission.
Mountain biking here is really good but again legal trails are limited. My favorite was closed due to people abusing the privilege.
Cost of living is one of the highest in the country and climbing.
Lakes are great but don't plan on living near one. Property is expensive and towns typically add an additional tax for the privilege.
Skiing and actual real mountains are a few hours drive away. Although there are a couple of small ski areas in the state that are decent for a quick fix.
Climate is good. Typically only a few humid days a year. Depending on what part of the state you live in it does get decently cold. Where I live is usually 5 degrees cooler than 10 minutes east.
Maybe he was eye rolling because at least two of the four corners states are colossal shitholes. Also none them check the boxes OP was looking for.

Deleted member 35398

Needs:
Snow to snowboard/ski.
Trees.
Actual mountains.
Maybe, I’m just a gypsy.
CALIFORNIA!!!!!!! Best State in the nation.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
In today’s world, political climate would weigh heavily on wherever I decided to move to. Not happening though, my family has been on the same spot since 1795. My roots are too deep here to pull up.
Fortunately there are still some places left with snow but no snowflakes.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Needs:
Snow to snowboard/ski.
Trees.
Actual mountains.
Maybe, I’m just a gypsy.
If you are willing to move North of the border, Vancouver's (or BC in general) got it all. :)
In fact, during certain months, you can enjoy both water sports and snow sports at the same time.

06690410-C470-475C-9F0B-7E1EB904C45D.jpeg

F2821474-69D6-4C63-BCAD-1779D848AF3C.jpeg

41273C68-A5FB-47AE-B41E-9E169C25971E.jpeg

6FBD3B7D-F178-4AD8-8AA4-CF616F29140A.jpeg

2C40EF2E-DA5D-42F1-8148-99437E2955CF.jpeg

49A8E8F8-428D-4C3D-A4DD-B849FAF4CE92.jpeg

52ED5E03-46E9-47B1-887D-21F907BA7F2F.jpeg

B304403A-7A99-400E-B99E-68391BC49424.jpeg

CA2CCB60-DA41-4B25-A079-7E1549C7F71D.jpeg

1AEED702-841E-41A7-8A38-944B6B634EF3.jpeg

0DF54C45-3F92-459D-86DD-80D42FC74870.jpeg
Sponsored