Battery Pack for Fridge Question

johnjwlsjna

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Class B
A good way to extend the life of an RV refrigerator while in storage is to connect multiple batteries together. However, there are two ways to connect your battery. One is to concatenate it into a string; with this you don't increase amps but only volts. For example if you put two 6 Volt batteries you will get 12 Volt but amp hours will not increase.
On the other hand, connecting batteries in parallel will increase the application. For example, if you connect the batteries in parallel like two 12 Volt batteries, you will have more than 150 amps.
Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
A good way to extend the life of an RV refrigerator while in storage is to connect multiple batteries together. However, there are two ways to connect your battery. One is to concatenate it into a string; with this you don't increase amps but only volts. For example if you put two 6 Volt batteries you will get 12 Volt but amp hours will not increase.
On the other hand, connecting batteries in parallel will increase the application. For example, if you connect the batteries in parallel like two 12 Volt batteries, you will have more than 150 amps.
yes, you can connect 2 batteries togethor in 2 different ways:
-batteries connected in parallel will produce the same final voltage, as the batteries before connection, but will provide double the Amp Hours (i.e. a pair of 6V in parallel will output 6V, and 2 12V will output 12V)
-batteries connected in series multiply voltage, but Final Amp Hours is equal to AH from 1 battery (I.e. 2x 6V batteries will provide 12V)

the reason why we use 6V batteries in RV is because Voltage, and Amp Hours is only part of the equation. When camping we want deep cycle batteries. In an automobile you want cranking power, (a LOT of Amps, for a couple seconds) but it is always charging, so the voltage on the battery is always kept high. Normal automotive batteries cannot be discharged much or you shorten their life. RV batteries on the other hand do not need high cranking power. They need to supply a much lower amount of power for a much longer time. They need to be able to be discharged quite a bit without damage.

6V deep cycle batteries have several advantages in these scenarios.
-Cost per 12V Amp Hour is much lower for 6V deep cycle batteries. (We normally use 6V “golf cart” batteries, as they are the best all around option)
-6V deep cycle batteries provide more Amp hours per cubic foot. (I.e. a pair of 6V batteries in series will provide more Amp Hours than a parallel pair of similar sized 12V batteries.)

for running a fridge or other stuff while camping, the most important thing to remember is that you need a deep cycle power source.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
for running a fridge or other stuff while camping, the most important thing to remember is that you need a deep cycle power source.
As a hypoglicemic person, nothing is more important than my fridge.

Well, I guess brakes are important. And gas. :P

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
As a hypoglicemic person, nothing is more important than my fridge.

Well, I guess brakes are important. And gas. :P
I am with you. nothing is more important that my fridge as well.

I just cannot drink warm beer:)

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
A quality stout gets better as it warms. I'll take one good beer over 6 crappy beers at ten degrees colder any day. But in the end, I agree.

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I am with you. nothing is more important that my fridge as well.

Hypoglicemic = can't drink beer

#sniffle