mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
That makes no sense whatsoever.
Then you don’t understand probabilities.

If the batteries have a failure rate of even 1% within 6 months, then 1/10,000 people will have 2 batteries fail back to back in the same manner. Feels like winning the worst lottery ever for that guy, but it is going to happen. The more Jeeps that exist, the more likely it is.

it’s always going to be a 1/10,000 (theoretical made up number) chance that it happens to any one Jeep, but it’s definitely going to happen to someone.
Sponsored

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Then you don’t understand probabilities.

If the batteries have a failure rate of even 1% within 6 months, then 1/10,000 people will have 2 batteries fail back to back in the same manner. Feels like winning the worst lottery ever for that guy, but it is going to happen. The more Jeeps that exist, the more likely it is.

it’s always going to be a 1/10,000 (theoretical made up number) chance that it happens to any one Jeep, but it’s definitely going to happen to someone.
I don't know where your numbers are coming from, but if they're all theoretical, the whole argument is irrelevant. My wife's Yukon had defective cells in her battery. By your logic, she was guaranteed to have another one, which she did not. Also, understanding what a guarantee means & probabilities means, their not interchangeable in an instance such as this. Bottom line IMO is there's something wrong with his Jeep.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
While I understand that there is a strong belief (and rightly so) that you should not shell out your own money for upgraded parts when a replacement is available for free … this may be one good exception. My Jeep had extremely low mileage (under 8K miles in 2 years, with long stretches of sitting) when I bought it. The main battery was not great (surprisingly, the AUX was fine), and I just bought an ODYSSEY battery on my own dime. It is wonderful and keeps a great charge, even when parked outside in frigid temperatures.

Again, I understand that we should be getting it for free, but sometimes it is just as easy to pay for peace of mind.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
I had the same issue with my '03 PT around 2005. After the third Mopar battery, the dealer insisted their batteries were good and it was my car. Tired of having my time wasted, I dropped a DuraLast in it and that lasted 7 years--proving it wasn't the car.

Cheap batteries won't fare well around heat and we both have turbos, which generate a lot of heat.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I don't know where your numbers are coming from, but if they're all theoretical, the whole argument is irrelevant. My wife's Yukon had defective cells in her battery. By your logic, she was guaranteed to have another one, which she did not. Also, understanding what a guarantee means & probabilities means, their not interchangeable in an instance such as this. Bottom line IMO is there's something wrong with his Jeep.
You clearly still don’t understand.

Sponsored

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I am in the right and you have a hard time with numbers. If you openyour mind to the possibility that you may learn something new, it is still possible.
I'm not saying I'm totally against the numbers, theoretical or real. My thing is the word guarantee. You're stating that there is no other reason for the OP's battery issue. I'm just saying it's possible, probable or guaranteed

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
I'm not saying I'm totally against the numbers, theoretical or real. My thing is the word guarantee. You're stating that there is no other reason for the OP's battery issue. I'm just saying it's possible, probable or guaranteed
mwilk012 is stating it is statistically guaranteed to happen to someone, why not the OP?
JustDave is stating it is not guaranteed to happen to OP though statistically possible.

You are both right. All good. It is all good. Now how do we best help the OP?

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
mwilk012 is stating it is statistically guaranteed to happen to someone, why not the OP?
JustDave is stating it is not guaranteed to happen to OP though statistically possible.

You are both right. All good. It is all good. Now how do we best help the OP?
Def going to happen to someone. Usually me. OP def needs to bring it up to his dealer.

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Take it back to the dealer ASAP. They get one more chance to fix it or they are required to buy it back under the lemon law. Believe me they know this and it is almost 100% it will be fixed right on the third try.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
No, I’m not saying that at all. You should re-read what I’ve said.

graygeoff

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Has anyone had any luck with this? I had an issue last winter with my batteries being stone dead and sulfated. I replaced with a couple of Die Hards and decided to keep a trickle on it last winter. Everything seemed fine, but clearly I put a band aid on the issue instead of fixing it.

This fall, after sitting for 2 weeks, it was dead. I put the trickle on it and came back the next day and it started right up. Ran it a few times this winter and it was fine. A few weeks ago, my wife unplugged the charger to take it out. All she could get was a click from the charger, three times in a row. The fourth time it started right up (a normal start, not a sluggish one). She drove it for about an hour, then parked it at her studio to teach a class. She came out an hour later and it did the same thing and hasn't started since.

I put my mechanic's (expensive) jump pack on it. Turned off, the battery was reading 12.6v. Turning the pack on didn't even touch it. They did a few searched and found that there was a PCM recall on it whose symptom was "no-starts" and suggested taking it to the dealer. I had to have it towed.

Dealer is telling me that both batteries have a bad cell. They are also telling me that they don't want to flash the PCM because I have an Insane Audio JL3001 head unit installed. They had another with this head unit and when they flashed the PCM it brick'd the head unit...and the customer was pissed. Didn't want to do that again. I have a note out to Insane, but I'm thinking I may have to remove the head unit in the parking lot at the dealer and have them do their thing.

For what it's worth, I have an '18 JLU with the 3.6 v6. The only mod I've made (other than running boards and wheels/tires) is the Insane head unit. I did not install any amps or anything else electrical.

graygeoff

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
I'm also curious if anyone having this issue has had the PCM recall taken care of before the issue came up, and if the recall took care of it.

On a side note, I had the tender hooked to the main battery. The service rep told me that the little tractor battery is what starts the engine, not the main battery (wouldn't they put the big draw on the big battery?!). He also said that connecting the tender to the main battery won't touch the little aux battery. Seems weird that a little battery would be the one that starts the engine, and it seems weird that last fall when it died I hooked the charger to the main battery and it started up.
Sponsored