Sponsored

Basic question about the off-road trails

Blacktip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR XR
Since I became interested in owing my first 4x4 vehicle, I've been watching many off-roading and adventure videos on YouTube. Some of those roads are spectacular especially in UT, AZ, and CA.

So, my question is: Who constructed or how those roads were created? Many of those roads goes to nowhere - Up to the top of mountain for example. There is no signs of old towns, settlement, or trade routs. Not just that, but many seams to be extremely difficult to construct just for re-creational purpose. Also, who maintain those trails.

Thanks,
Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I cannot speak for some of the areas you listed, but in Colorado, most of the trails are a result of mining operations. Then trails branched off from there based off of use. Some of the trails (throughout the country even) used to be roads used by everyone until the highway became the main means of transportation.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Around here in the PNW, many of the trails are old logging roads or man-made short-cuts between logging roads. One of our more well-known trails, the Naches trail, retraces some of the old original Naches wagon trail (an offshoot of the Oregon Trail) that settlers took across the cascade mountains. Edit- Many NW trails are now in ORV parks ran by the state or county.

Moab, UT is famous for scenic and tough off road trails, many of those are old Uranium mining roads.

The Rubicon Trail in the Sierra mountains of California has history going back to the 1800s:
https://www.rubicontrailfoundation.org/rubiconhistory/

Jeep Wrangler JL Basic question about the off-road trails 1663607815290

Maintenance of most off-road trails is usually done by local 4wd clubs.

OP
OP

Blacktip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR XR
Around here in the PNW, many of the trails are old logging roads or man-made short-cuts between logging roads. One of our more well-known trails, the Naches trail, retraces some of the old original Naches wagon trail (an offshoot of the Oregon Trail) that settlers took across the cascade mountains. Edit- Many NW trails are now in ORV parks ran by the state or county.

Moab, UT is famous for scenic and tough off road trails, many of those are old Uranium mining roads.

The Rubicon Trail in the Sierra mountains of California has history going back to the 1800s:
https://www.rubicontrailfoundation.org/rubiconhistory/

Jeep Wrangler JL Basic question about the off-road trails 1663607815290

Maintenance of most off-road trails is usually done by local 4wd clubs.
Very interesting photo. We don't know a Rubicon after all! Seriously, how those car made it up these rocky roads?

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Seriously, how those car made it up these rocky roads?
Right? Probably pretty intense back in the day.

That link I posted has some other cool pics too.