First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Built one of these with my daughter and see no reason to go to a hoist. For the few bucks it costs and minimal time it takes to build I would recommend looking at this and maybe trying it. If you decide to go with a different solution later you aren't out much money.

PS I went with a marine grade waterproof carpeting to cover the wood and went with locking casters. The cover and casters adds a few bucks but makes this DIY solution, in my opinion, just as nice as some of the multi-hundred dollar solutions out there.
I'll give you one reason I switched. I am one person. My wife can't lift it, and I am always finding a neighbor to help. The hoist allows me to do it by myself.

The cart worked good, just wanted to be able to be self sufficient. And also maybe this year I go topless more often too (vs installing the soft top).
Sponsored

rhocking

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2.0T JLU Sport S
I'll give you one reason I switched. I am one person. My wife can't lift it, and I am always finding a neighbor to help. The hoist allows me to do it by myself.

The cart worked good, just wanted to be able to be self sufficient. And also maybe this year I go topless more often too (vs installing the soft top).
Makes sense. I only take the hardtop on and off once a year (at start of soft top season and end of soft top season) so finding someone to help isn't too bad. Your point is well taken though. The cart needs at least two people to take the hard top off.

Danu924a

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sport
Hey everyone,

I bought the dual top group with my JL and am planning on swapping out the hard top for the soft top in about a month until November, looking at floor level options for storing the top, partially because my garage ceiling is already covered in kayaks and partially because I don't really need/want to spend the extra money on a hoist. Since I'm only taking it off and putting it back on once a year, having a bit of extra work to do it is fine. So with that note I'm thinking about buying this:

https://www.amazon.com/POFENZE-Upgr...09QQ5ZBMD/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I found similar products on extremeterrain and quadratec but they seem like basically the exact same product (only worse because no freedom panel storage) for $100+ more. Anyone have this type of hard top storage and does it work OK? The whole idea of storing the hard top by resting it on the back seems like it wasn't 'made to do that' - don't want it to get slowly damaged sitting in that position for ~6 months at a time.
I’m thinking of trying this myself
Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options FAA386C9-1B84-4D1A-B381-84261E7E2D56

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
i had the cart like you mention without the freedom panel storage . it worked great and was super space saving . the panels i just had in the storage bag hanging on the wall from a strong hook.
i didnt have any issue with the cart at all it worked a charm ! and i was really happy with it .

i upgraded to the lange original hoist a cart gen 2
just because i can remove the top and store it by myself verrrrry quickly without any help at all
it stores easily , downside its pricey. but stores it perfect
Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options IMG_5035

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I’m thinking of trying this myself
Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options IMG_5035
First time I've seen that, pretty awesome. Any plans available, or are you just going to figure it out? Either way, I'd be very interested.

Sponsored

Danu924a

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sport
First time I've seen that, pretty awesome. Any plans available, or are you just going to figure it out? Either way, I'd be very interested.
I screen shooter this off of another forum but there were no plans. I may start working on it this week I like the idea of door storage underneath. Im
Same as you no room on ceiling. I figured I can wheel this in and out

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
more options
the first 2 you drive your jeep up to the rack and just slide the top back onto the deck of the rack thats if you have the room
this is easy.. you then secure it to the deck with a few bolts

the second set hangs on the wall - and u need help of course
which i would have done in my garage spot , but my ceiling is to low at that point i want to have it stored

Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options am11uru1s0131

Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options 5453727306_ff8cb58807_b

Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options b909600de1da44347b694a2154017d00

Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options dc2fc91835d3faa0c94eeb2156371dea

Eyeball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ & 2023 JLUR
i had the cart like you mention without the freedom panel storage . it worked great and was super space saving . the panels i just had in the storage bag hanging on the wall from a strong hook.
i didnt have any issue with the cart at all it worked a charm ! and i was really happy with it .

i upgraded to the lange original hoist a cart gen 2
just because i can remove the top and store it by myself verrrrry quickly without any help at all
it stores easily , downside its pricey. but stores it perfect
Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options dc2fc91835d3faa0c94eeb2156371dea
Thanks for sharing this picture. I think this looks like a great solution for me if it will fit in the limited space I have. Is it possible for you to take a few measurements for me?

Using your picture for reference:

A5B7B09C-E77D-46E6-BC70-6E98DD931D28.jpeg

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
Thanks for sharing this picture. I think this looks like a great solution for me if it will fit in the limited space I have. Is it possible for you to take a few measurements for me?

Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options A5B7B09C-E77D-46E6-BC70-6E98DD931D28
I’m at work will do at home. The part b you have listed raises and lowers
The part you ask at top the t part folds out and hangs out like an arm to lift the top. It folds down and moves out of the way so u can have a smaller footprint. Or you can leave it extended.
I will get more fotos and measurements for ya when I get home.

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer

A5B7B09C-E77D-46E6-BC70-6E98DD931D28.jpeg
Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options A5B7B09C-E77D-46E6-BC70-6E98DD931D28 copy

Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options IMG_6717

Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options IMG_6718

second foto the top arm is folded down
second i had it folded out and that measures 42"
my garage is nutty - the rear of the garage has the ceiling lowered and the cart just fits with a few inchs to spare this way -
so for me to remove the top i roll the cart up about 3 feet where the ceiling is higher and then i can use the cart without a problem

the handle u see in the fotos also is removable , but i leave it in , it does not make much of a differ in space if removed .
in the winter time you can remove the top portion "crane"
from the lower cart portion and store it more snug to a wall , i just leave mine all together

the part A you ask measurement - this is with the top off the cart 39"
i dont have the top on the cart at the moment as it was rainy and i put it back on
i will remove the top maybe thursday and i can measure again for you
but my guess would be top on the cart like 46 " or 48"

i dont use the door hangers on the cart , i just dont like the way they sit on it

i also added 2 locking wheels to the front of the cart which i purchased from lange
i wanted all 4 wheels to lock not just 2

i also drilled 2 holes in the front of the frame to lock in place when it slides foward , it just makes it easier to pivot the top up into place and i know it wont move around on me , which it never did , but it feels more secure locked - i will get more pix if you want to see when i take the top off again

its a pricey cart, but it was the best money i spent , i take the top off every chance i have .
and i dont need anyone to help and i can roll it away an store it knowing it is safe and ready to go
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: Bbp