Sponsored

Hardtop summer storage

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
We're researching, but aren't really finding any answers. Is there any one best way to store a hard top for the summer WITHOUT a garage? We opted for dual top so we'll be swapping back and forth between the hard top (winter) and the soft top (summer). I am interested in the TopLift Pro, but I don't think I'll be needing it until such a time when we need to replace the soft top (then we will just stick with the freedom top).

But I'm concerned about warping the top when leaving it for 4+ months at a time. Is this a valid concern?

So what's the best way to set it and forget it? Build a table (to lay it flat)? Build a cart ( to lay it upright on the window)? Something else? We may build a shed for it.

We do have a carport, but we had some problems with the supports last year, so even though we've made the necessary repairs I'm still a but nervous about building a hoist (but I'm not against it).
Sponsored

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
If you can improve the carport I think this is your best option. #1 it probably is a good idea to have it fixed anyway. #2 hoisting the top does two things, saves space and prevents top from getting damaged on the ground. If having it on the ground is the only option. You could store upside down on protected material in a shed is another good idea.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
If you can improve the carport I think this is your best option. #1 it probably is a good idea to have it fixed anyway. #2 hoisting the top does two things, saves space and prevents top from getting damaged on the ground. If having it on the ground is the only option. You could store upside down on protected material in a shed is another good idea.
The carport has been fixed. I'm just nervous about it (I was home when it happened and it scared the crap out of me. LOL). Of course looking at the 2 feet of snow that's currently on the roof, I probably shouldn't be.

What is the best way to store it on a hoist? I've seen so many!

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
I have a Lange brand and have had no problems. I have had it since 2008. Adapted to work for my JL now

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
We're researching, but aren't really finding any answers. Is there any one best way to store a hard top for the summer WITHOUT a garage? We opted for dual top so we'll be swapping back and forth between the hard top (winter) and the soft top (summer). I am interested in the TopLift Pro, but I don't think I'll be needing it until such a time when we need to replace the soft top (then we will just stick with the freedom top).

But I'm concerned about warping the top when leaving it for 4+ months at a time. Is this a valid concern?

So what's the best way to set it and forget it? Build a table (to lay it flat)? Build a cart ( to lay it upright on the window)? Something else? We may build a shed for it.

We do have a carport, but we had some problems with the supports last year, so even though we've made the necessary repairs I'm still a but nervous about building a hoist (but I'm not against it).
Said somewhat as a pipe dream, follow Jeff Scherb's @jscherb methods to modularize a hard top https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...g-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/ and bring it inside as flat pieces.:)

PartsCut1_zpsf0xvasns.jpg

Sponsored

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2006 LJ, 2006 Wrangler Pickup
Said somewhat as a pipe dream, follow Jeff Scherb's @jscherb methods to modularize a hard top https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...g-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/ and bring it inside as flat pieces.:)

PartsCut1_zpsf0xvasns.jpg
It's not a pipe dream, it's a very practical solution both for storage and configurability :).

The converted factory top is on my son's JK; he lives in an apartment in Philadelphia and changes his configuration depending on the weather. Most of the hardtop parts he stores under his bed or in his closet in his apartment. For a while the parts were here and I stored most of them under various beds, here's the rear panel with liftgate glass under a single bed in a spare bedroom...

RearPanelUnderSingleBed_zpsgwy9nmdp.jpg

Another benefit of modularity is running with the sides off, here's his 2 door:

2drWithMilitary3_zpshdfgoqox.jpg

A JL/JLU factory top can be converted in the same way.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Jeff--you are a G-d among Jeep mod men. Know I meant the pipe dream remark as a complement because that you are able to do we mere mortals would find difficult.

Of course, once a completed project, the storage capabilities I cite and you back up with pictures would be extremely doable.:)

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
There are plans out there for a hard top dolly you can build for less than $50 that is on wheels. Build that, put your hard top on that and cover it in a tarp or something.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
There are plans out there for a hard top dolly you can build for less than $50 that is on wheels. Build that, put your hard top on that and cover it in a tarp or something.
I’ve been looking at them but I haven’t found any that seem appropriate for long term storage. I did find a table though, which I like a lot.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I have a similar issue. I live in LA in the "historic" city of pasadena. So that means my house is pretty small, I have a "2 car garage" that honestly would fit 2 small cars or a wrangler and a prius.... since I dont even have a basement my garage is my storage, plus working area and small powerlifting gym. I cant hoist my top. My plan is to buy the liftpro and storage the top outside. I do have a space for it.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2006 LJ, 2006 Wrangler Pickup
Wha whaaaaat?! That’s incredible. I would be nervous to do this given where I live (concerned about winter leaking), but it’s something to research, for sure.
If done properly (according to the instructions I posted in the referenced thread), a modular conversion won't leak. My son's JK lives on the street in Philadelphia and he hasn't had any problems with the weather.

I did my first modular hardtop in 2010 (LJ) and it's still on my Jeep 130,000 miles later and performing fine. My second modular top (JKU) has been in use for about 4 years and 100,000 miles and it too is performing without any weather problems.
Sponsored