Sponsored

Bad U-joint or t-case slop?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So I've noticed this since I bought the Jeep with 13k miles on it. In low range as you get on or off the accelerator you hear (and feel) loud metallic clacking as the Jeep rocks forward or backward. Crawling this past weekend it was really annoying.

I've checked usual culprits but can't find any slop in u-joints and don't see anything loose. It's this a characteristic of the 4:1 transfer case? Gear backlash in one of the axles? It also happens in 2wd when you get the motor right to the point of stalling.

I appreciate the feedback
Sponsored

chiefersutherland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
I don’t know the exact 4 lo noise you’re describing, can you post a video? But I’ve had a lot of vehicles with low range t-cases and they have all been a bit noisy.

Do you have a stick? Because they also all make a noise right at stall. Sounds kind of like rocks in a coffee mug.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I don’t know the exact 4 lo noise you’re describing, can you post a video? But I’ve had a lot of vehicles with low range t-cases and they have all been a bit noisy.

Do you have a stick? Because they also all make a noise right at stall. Sounds kind of like rocks in a coffee mug.
When you are rolling at, lets say around 5-10mph, if you just lightly touch the gas pedal, you can hear a slight clunk, every time you just slightly put pressure on it. Can feel the clunk is coming from somewhere under the floorboard. I also hear a (series) of similar clunks when I'm rolling to a stop with foot on the brake, the clunk happens at around 5-10mph as well.

Sponsored

chiefersutherland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Ah, idk, take it in if it’s really bothersome. The t-cases in these Jeeps are chain driven and have backlash that gets noisy in low range.

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It's obvious in low range and at lower rpm. I do have a 6-speed. The engine surges as it is (by design? ) and each time it surges forward and back it clacks back and forth. T-case chain slack sounds reasonable. I'm not worried if it's normal but I hate to let my warranty expire if it's not normal. I've had many 4wd vehicles with real transfer cases and haven't noticed this, not on my last TJ either

OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
After another day of wheeling, it's really only in low range that it clacks back and forth

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
OP
OP
Toycrusher

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Did you ever figure out what the nose was? Mine does it as well, but it does it in 4H and even 2H as well. Particularly at slow speeds when the engine surges.

I made another post about it with a video of the sound here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-clanking-from-transfer-case-gear-slop.75524/

Is this the same nose you get from yours?
Seems like exact same noise. Irritating but I haven't dug any further. Haven't been wheeling much since Covid started, no big trips anyway

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Seems like exact same noise. Irritating but I haven't dug any further. Haven't been wheeling much since Covid started, no big trips anyway
Thanks. Seems we would be hearing about it a lot more often if it was "normal". I might have the dealer take a look at it.
Sponsored