Backup Camera issues

themattparty

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Another day, another issue with my JLU. This time my backup camera doesn’t work at all. I have turned my car off and on multiple times and still no luck. I figured this would be like when the back up lines disappear, they tend to go away and come back whenever they feel like it.

Anyone else have either of these issues?

my biggest fear is that my vehicle is approaching the end of its warranty and my vehicle is still plagued by issues.

52F2F540-55DE-401B-9FCC-D4D33BE4CDDB.jpeg
Sponsored

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just had this happened to me yesterday. Turned out some harder slam of the back door caused it. I opened the back trunk door and slammed it again, and camera started working. Guess some wire contact or something.

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Record video on your phone of the issues so you can share with your dealer service team since they want to 'see' the issue before they can open a claim with Chrysler. It may not be enough but for these intermittent issues that's all you can do to show the dealer the issue.

What year is your rig? Mines June 2018 and I'm dealing with my stereo skipping when it gets cold out (sub 30F). During those events the lines on the backup camera cut out. Tons of threads here for similar issues and all indications are that the camera or the wiring is at fault. You are in houston? I doubt it gets cold enough there for the audio cut outs but it doesn't mean you aren't suffering from the same camera issue numerous 2018 builds seem to have.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Another day, another issue with my JLU. This time my backup camera doesn’t work at all. I have turned my car off and on multiple times and still no luck. I figured this would be like when the back up lines disappear, they tend to go away and come back whenever they feel like it.

Anyone else have either of these issues?

my biggest fear is that my vehicle is approaching the end of its warranty and my vehicle is still plagued by issues.

52F2F540-55DE-401B-9FCC-D4D33BE4CDDB.jpeg
@themattparty,
We certainly understand why this may be frustrating. We do recommend bringing this into your dealer for a diagnosis- feel free to send our team a private message with your VIN for additional support. We would be happy to assist.

Kathryn
JeepCares

I just had this happened to me yesterday. Turned out some harder slam of the back door caused it. I opened the back trunk door and slammed it again, and camera started working. Guess some wire contact or something.
@Rubicon_LA,
If you see that you continue to have trouble with this feature, please let us know. We would be happy to assist you alongside your dealer toward a lasting resolution.

Kathryn
JeepCares

JL LOL

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
All is it is the plug for the backup camera. Pop the cover off of the tailgate, and undo the grey wire connector. (Optional, add solvent or blow out with air). Plug it back in and everything should be good to go. That grey plug connection apparently doesn't work well in that environment. Please post back and let us know if that worked for you.

There was alot of chatter about having to replace the radio, replace the camera, etc, etc, etc. and I'm fairly confident that it's simply a poor connection.

Sponsored

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Please Help. I added a tire cover with hole for camera, did everything the instructions said to do but now when in reverse, with NOTHING behind me, it is a long annoying continuous beeping sound until I put it in drive. I do not want to silence it, I want it to only beep when close to something or something is behind me. What can I do? What is wrong? Please suggest. I have a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition.
When you installed the spare tire cover. The cover or something on the cover is blocking one of your backup sensors. It should be easy to spot.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thank you but we checked all 4 censors and nothing is blocking them.
@KPhillips

AND.... and with the cover off does the annoying beep stop.... IF it does stop, then that means the cover is in fact being seen so to speak and thus the warning beeps....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s really crazy, you can have someone stand behind you, wipe over the censors, they stop until you turn off the jeep and turn it back on then the beep starts again. I have asked around and some others are saying that I have faulty censors. IDK I did not want to take it back to the dealership but I guess I’m going to have no choice, at least it’s under warranty! Thanks anyway.
@KPhillips

We were talking spare tire cover causing an issue... IF you take the spare tire cover off, is all ok then??

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t know I haven’t taken it off since it was out on. It was way to difficult to put on so unless the tire is ever needed I won’t be removing it. Believe me, we check all censors and even looked on camera, NOTHING is blocking. It starts beeping then stops, it’s very hard to explain. I noticed others having same issues. I don’t believe the tire cover is the problem. It just started after it was on, NOT the exact day!
@KPhillips

You were the one that posted ... implied that the issue started/was related to the spare tire cover.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/backup-camera-issues.47642/post-1540555

Have the dealer eval....

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
As mentioned. Since the problem started when you installed the spare cover, take it back off and see if the problem goes away.

Just realized the OP's thread sorta got hijacked. Sorry OP. This should have been a seperate thread.

KPhillips

First Name
Katrina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition
@KPhillips

You were the one that posted ... implied that the issue started/was related to the spare tire cover.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/backup-camera-issues.47642/post-1540555

Have the dealer eval....
Thank you for your help. I’m planning on taking it to the dealership. Just yesterday, a popping noise happened which caused the radio to go out and the clock to reset, It came back on after a few minutes so I believe all of this is related ! Sorry so misleading, I did state that it all started after tire cover was added, but now I don’t believe the tire cover is the problem.
Sponsored