Sponsored

Backing Into Parking Spots: The Debate

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I usually back in unless I know I am using the trunk. So pull in for grocery shopping, or parking in the garage. I had a job at a power plant that required backing in so you could evacuate the site quicker during an emergency condition. I have also heard that people that evaluate the happiness/job satisfaction at a work location look at how people park, with the thinking that those who back in are in a hurry to leave work, and therefore unhappy at work. So when they see hundreds of people all backing in with no exception, they think its a miserable place to work. So someone has to explain to them parking that way is required for a potential emergency. But that place could still be a miserable place to work, just need to look at other indicators.
Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I got in the habit of backing into spots when I got my full size truck. I find it impossible to judge where I am between the lines unless I just use the mirrors. The Jeep is waaaay easier to park, but I still back in most of the time. I back into my driveway, and use the mirror to line up on the left side, so the UPS man has a clear path to my front door.

I really haven't adapted to the silly backup screen thingie, and I find it much more efficient and reliable to just use my mirrors, although I do use the backup camera to help position the ass end exactly where I want it, so I can open the tailgate. That's about all I use the camera for.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I always back in for a couple of reason..... faster exit and safer exit. My thoughts are when backing in the vehicles around you are stationary safer than backing out of a spot into traffic. Plus too many years in the Military where we backed everything in for the same 2 reasons.

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
99.99% of the time I pull in an back out. To me, it's quicker to back out of a spot than to back into it.

Most people I see backing into spots at the grocery store, Taget, a mall, etc., don't do a good job. It's crooked and they've taken 3 minutes to do it.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I've usually back in my cars, because I've mostly owned low (and lowered) sports cars, with front mounted aero that can get decimated my parking stops. Obviously not an issue with the JLU :D

At home, I like it because we usually have all the time we need when we get home, but often are in a hurry to leave, i.e., pulling out forward is a little quicker.

With our SUVs, I like having the rear cargo area pointing to the landing area that opens into the house, so we can swing open the gate and load/unload without even opening the garage door. In fact, because I like backing in, I swapped out (we have a 4xe) chargers for one with a slightly longer cable (it worked, just pulled a little tight).

I also find it easier to hug the sides tighter when I back in, you know, like parallel parking. šŸ˜Ž

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Forum family, this thread has to be the most unintentionally, dirty thread posted in a while. See below :CWL:
99.99% of the time I pull in an back out. To me, it's quicker
At home, I like it because we usually have all the time we need when we get home, but often are in a hurry to leave, i.e., pulling out forward is a little quicker.
I also find it easier to hug the sides tighter when I back in, you know,
In a tight spot I drive in forwards. If it is extra tight my wife will guide me
lets me hang the long butt out of the way if I can.
it's safer to pull out forward (how many times have you seen someone have to slam on the brakes backing out because cross traffic doesn't bother to watch or slow down?) and because it's faster to leave pulling out forward. I don't care how busy the lot is either. It doesn't take me any longer to back in then pull in forward
Americans coming over, they pull in head first, needing multiple tries to get straight, ā€¦ Even then, they bang their front quarter a lot.
things, I donā€™t need access to the frontā€¦, the back is the business end.
but then i leave the door open for a while. and sometimes more often then not i smokke a cigar in their. so, a little
Itā€™s easier to pull out with full visual than to fight everyone around you
Leaving is easier because you can just pull out while seeing
Backing in is safer, although I dont do it all of the time at the grocery store or home depot, dont want someone getting so close
Back in when you get there and when you pull out, you don't have to worry
or the idiot doing 90mph and refuses to let you out, even though youā€™re half way out already, and zips around you then flips you off like you did something wrong.
But my wife pulls in straight at home, so I reverse
I also pay attention to who I pull in between
I must say I'm pretty good and quick about it, right in the middle

Playbak54

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Retired
I have the safety package, so pulling in and backing out is the safest for me. The crosstraffic alert works great and covers me from blind spots due to large vehicles next to me. If I back in, I usually still have the blocked view with no way to see until my front end is far enough to get smacked by the next Maruo Andretti flying through the parking lot.

It seems that almost everyone has a SUV or big pickup that are as tall, if not taller, than I am. Odds are if there isn't one there when I park, there will be when I get back.

The cross traffic sensors have saved me more times than I can count.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Forum family, this thread has to be the most unintentionally, dirty thread posted in a while. See below :CWL:
hahahhaahhahahahahahahahahaha

JohnD170

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI (Mk VI); 2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon
In the Hatchback I am about 50/50. I try to get a pull-through if I can. When buys lots of stuff (grocery store, Costco, Home Depot) its pull in so its easier to access the trunk.
I tend to pull in less when driving one of the SUVs as those are easier to pull out forward than back out due to visibility issues.

I had a client once that was a pipeline company (for jet fuel). The land their offices were on also had a tank field. Required to back in there cause if there was an issue and they had to evacuate then you had to get everyone out quick!

Sponsored

B95randon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
I usually back in and only go head in when I need to access the back ( against a wall/ another vehicle). So much easier to actually see when youā€™re on the way out too!

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic
When I drove a truck 40 years ago I learned that you back into a parking spot when you can and I still usually do it. And I have been backing into my garage for many of those years.
Jeep Wrangler JL Backing Into Parking Spots: The Debate 20201117-09

Ex-Nuke

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Navy Vet 9
But who backs in to their garage? I donā€™t, but my neighbor does and I find it strange. Besides being unnecessarily difficult, youā€™re filling the garage with exhaust.

In parking lots I pull in unless Iā€™m driving my wifeā€™s Yukon XL. The Yukon is sooooo long; backing in is easier and pulling back out is much safer. My 2dr Jeep is easier to just pull in.
I back into my garage because I have it prepped with lines on the floor to use with backup camera to put my jeep in the same spot every time to remove/install my hard top. My garage is fairly narrow with both our jeeps inside, so backing in gives me more room to get out as well.
Sponsored