Auto windows (Up & Down)

OP
OP

fonzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL, & Gladiator
so you also did the security safety fix too?
Not sure what you mean? Anti-pinch? The modules have built in resistance sensing...
Sponsored

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
man, you should have seen my reaction "awwwwww man"

this should also teach these product people to not announce things until they at least are near a 80% feature completion. Yes, that's a dig at @SmartStopStart.com. Sorry!
Sorry to disappoint. I hope it is some consolation that we are working on it, so it is not just marketing hype.

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Sorry to disappoint. I hope it is some consolation that we are working on it, so it is not just marketing hype.
I’m sure you are. But very skeptical of vapor ware considering you announced in exactly one year ago with nothing to show.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Not sure what you mean? Anti-pinch? The modules have built in resistance sensing...
Anti-pinch with automatic reversing is the 'gold standard'. Just current sensing to stop motion that the generic modules on the market have can still result in entrapment and injury. Even with the current limiting the upward force of the Jeep Wrangler windows is WAY over the accepted standards for automatic operation. We have measured it at around 80 pounds of pressure. If you do not have kids or pets then maybe its OK, otherwise it is a nonstarter.

As I had mentioned way back, we are attempting development of a system that meets domestic and international safety standard for automatic windows with anti-pinch for Jeep Wrangler window motors without built in sensors that were not originally intended for this type of operation. This is hard to do reliably across all the environmental conditions in a Jeep.

Yes, this is taking a long time, but until we build a safe and reliable system we will not release it. I still believe we will get there and have staked significant time and money on it.

Last edited:

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Anti-pinch with automatic reversing is the 'gold standard'. Just current sensing to stop motion that the generic modules on the market have can still result in entrapment and injury. Even with the current limiting the upward force of the Jeep Wrangler windows is WAY over the accepted standards for automatic operation. We have measured it at around 80 pounds of pressure. If you do not have kids or pets then maybe its OK, otherwise it is a nonstarter.

As I had mentioned way back, we are attempting development of a system that meets domestic and international safety standard for automatic windows with anti-pinch for Jeep Wrangler window motors without built in sensors that were not originally intended for this type of operation. This is hard to do reliably across all the environmental conditions in a Jeep.

Yes, this is taking a long time, but until we build a safe and reliable system we not release it. I still believe we will get there and have staked significant time and money on it.
Kudos @SmartStopStart.com, and I'd recommend ignoring the negative feedback here. Most have no idea what it takes to design, patent and receive safety approval ratings, much less safety approval for products used in a vehicle. It can take years. Can't speak for everyone, but I'm thankful you all are putting in the time and resource to deliver a safe, quality option.

Sponsored

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Kudos @SmartStopStart.com, and I'd recommend ignoring the negative feedback here. Most have no idea what it takes to design, patent and receive safety approval ratings, much less safety approval for products used in a vehicle. It can take years. Can't speak for everyone, but I'm thankful you all are putting in the time and resource to deliver a safe, quality option.
Just an FYI, My feeeback personally isn’t negative. It’s constructive. I understand the difficulties with product development. My feedback was all about how and when they announced this product. Absolutely never ever announce something until you are confident in your ability to deliver on time or when you state. “Soon” then one year later to me is “vapor” and marketing hype. That’s all I’m saying.

a perfect example of this, Apple and AirPower. If you don’t know about that, do some quick research.

I really want the product too by the way. But now it’s very discouraging knowing this could be months if not years away. And based on the latest updates so far it sounds more like years than months.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just an FYI, My feeeback personally isn’t negative. It’s constructive. I understand the difficulties with product development. My feedback was all about how and when they announced this product. Absolutely never ever announce something until you are confident in your ability to deliver on time or when you state. “Soon” then one year later to me is “vapor” and marketing hype. That’s all I’m saying.

a perfect example of this, Apple and AirPower. If you don’t know about that, do some quick research.

I really want the product too by the way. But now it’s very discouraging knowing this could be months if not years away. And based on the latest updates so far it sounds more like years than months.
As a reminder of what you said: "this should also teach these product people to not announce things until they at least are near a 80% feature completion. Yes, that's a dig at @SmartStopStart.com. Sorry!"

Understanding your intention may not have been to be negative, I'm struggling to read/interpret your post as positive in any way.

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
As a reminder of what you said: "this should also teach these product people to not announce things until they at least are near a 80% feature completion. Yes, that's a dig at @SmartStopStart.com. Sorry!"

Understanding your intention may not have been to be negative, I'm struggling to read/interpret your post as positive in any way.
Another rule of thumb, don’t try and interpret tone or emotion online :).

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
Coming soon, the JL Wrangler 2021 model :LOL:

Sponsored

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just an FYI, My feeeback personally isn’t negative. It’s constructive. I understand the difficulties with product development. My feedback was all about how and when they announced this product.
I work in product development in a totally different sector. I often share product futures with select, trusted customers to get their feedback regarding interest, function, etc. Talking about futures with trusted customers ultimately benefits us both, and is totally different from offering a product for sale but not delivering.

When a vendor talks futures and we use pejorative terms like "vaporware," it communicates to the vendor that the general membership of this forum don't fall into the category of trusted customers. We should also recognize that @SmartStopStart.com took a risk by disclosing product direction to their competitors by using this forum to communicate with us. I appreciate that they care enough about us as community to involve us in their product planning process. It reinforces the positive feelings I already had about SmartStopStart based on my personal experience with their products.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
I work in product development in a totally different sector. I often share product futures with select, trusted customers to get their feedback regarding interest, function, etc. Talking about futures with trusted customers ultimately benefits us both, and is totally different from offering a product for sale but not delivering.

When a vendor talks futures and we use pejorative terms like "vaporware," it communicates to the vendor that the general membership of this forum don't fall into the category of trusted customers. We should also recognize that @SmartStopStart.com took a risk by disclosing product direction to their competitors by using this forum to communicate with us. I appreciate that they care enough about us as community to involve us in their product planning process. It reinforces the positive feelings I already had about SmartStopStart based on my personal experience with their products.
Right on all counts. Now when will the product be available? ;)