Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
...Just seems sketchy to me not to do a service, but I'm an old guy......lol
Old guy here too, and I'm here to tell you it's sketchy AF. I've been around engines and transmissions my whole life, and I've seen what a transmission looks like inside when you ignore it for 100K miles. It's not pretty.

My Subaru has 112K miles on it. My Toyota has 150K miles on it. My Chevy K2500 has 164K miles on it. And they all run great. You want to know how I did it? Hint: It's not from ignoring stuff for 100K miles. Personally, I plan on dropping the pan at 10K for a checkup, and if everything looks good, I'll change the fluid & filter, and plan on doing it again at 50K.

I don't know why Jeep tells us the transmission can be ignored for 100K miles, but I'm pretty sure it's not because they want to see us keep our vehicles a long time.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
The 6.4 will be getting an Allison and all other engines in the HD lineup are getting the ZF.
As wonderful as those pairings would be, this sentiment about sums up my thoughts on the likelihood of them coming to fruition.

michael-keaton.gif

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Old guy here too, and I'm here to tell you it's sketchy AF. I've been around engines and transmissions my whole life, and I've seen what a transmission looks like inside when you ignore it for 100K miles. It's not pretty.

My Subaru has 112K miles on it. My Toyota has 150K miles on it. My Chevy K2500 has 164K miles on it. And they all run great. You want to know how I did it? Hint: It's not from ignoring stuff for 100K miles. Personally, I plan on dropping the pan at 10K for a checkup, and if everything looks good, I'll change the fluid & filter, and plan on doing it again at 50K.

I don't know why Jeep tells us the transmission can be ignored for 100K miles, but I'm pretty sure it's not because they want to see us keep our vehicles a long time.
Right on Michael. I honestly believe all these bologna extended service intervals the manufacturers and oil bottles/flters are suggesting is an EPA thing.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Right on Michael. I honestly believe all these bologna extended service intervals the manufacturers and oil bottles/flters are suggesting is an EPA thing.
Either that or these service depts are so busy fixing engineering blunders that they just don't have the time to service vehicles on a more timely basis.

burke2000

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wranger JLU Rubicon 2020
Occupation
BANKER
I’ve never done transmission service before even when I probably should have. I like these Jeeps though so have pondered this as well. Some videos online show how to do it but the “when” part is still a question for me.
I have a JL Unlimited Rubicon MY2020 with an 8 speed auto gearbox and a 2.2 diesel engine (European version) and 60k miles on the clock. When running cold engine and moving from 3rd to 4th gear I was getting a jolt, which obviously I shouldn't be as the jeep has a double clutch. Took it into service and the Jeep dealer they put it through the ODB computer and no error showed up. The dealer mentioned that although Jeep says that gearbox fluid is lifelong, obviously this isn't true as no oil or liquide is forever. Depending on the type of driving you do, you should have this changed every 60k miles at the most. If you do a lot of off roading, then the dealer suggested no later than 30k miles. It's not cheap though.... I paid 700 USD just for the liquid and the gasket. Huge improvement on the gear changes I have to say. New liquid and updated gearbox software did the trick.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I have a JL Unlimited Rubicon MY2020 with an 8 speed auto gearbox and a 2.2 diesel engine (European version) and 60k miles on the clock.

Depending on the type of driving you do, you should have this changed every 60k miles at the most.

It's not cheap though.... I paid 700 USD just for the liquid and the gasket.
I paid US$185.00 for seven quarts of Mopar 8&9 Speed Transmission Fluid (equivalent to the ZF-branded fluid) and the Mopar filter, 68417054AB.

I'd have guessed that foreign markets would pay more for the same consumables, but a variance in excess of US$500.00 surprised even me.

burke2000

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wranger JLU Rubicon 2020
Occupation
BANKER
It's probably the 21% VAT we enjoy in Spain as well as the 100 USD an hour Jeep charges for labour. Important thing is that the JL is running perfectly again.

Tpsillos

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD
Occupation
Welding Inspector
Clubs

I went the ppe pan route at 85K, no noticeable temp difference with their pan but at least it has a drain plug

Tpsillos

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD
Occupation
Welding Inspector
Clubs

Did you go with the deep version or the normal one?
Deep, I had to notch out the more skid (a stiffener than runs across the top) a little but other than that, it fit like a glove.
Sponsored