Auto Transmission Failure

Space ace

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
1st generation of vehicle, yes but not of that 8-speed transmission..
first and foremost wait and find out the details of the failure, cause and effect..
it’s mechanical and man made, nothing is perfect or lasts forever.
It’s an inconvenience for sure and I’d be just as disappointed as you, but at least you’re taken care of and in a rental..
take a “wait and see” approach..
Sponsored

OP
OP

Hermo9er

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
1st generation of vehicle, yes but not of that 8-speed transmission..
first and foremost wait and find out the details of the failure, cause and effect..
it’s mechanical and man made, nothing is perfect or lasts forever.
It’s an inconvenience for sure and I’d be just as disappointed as you, but at least you’re taken care of and in a rental..
take a “wait and see” approach..
Good point on the 8 speed. And great advice. I am pretty sure I'll keep it unless my gut tells me other wise...

I got some accessories for Christmas. It hurts even more now that I can't put them on yet!

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I drive a ton for work. I have had my JLU Sport S for almost 7 months. It has just over 20,000 miles on it. I was in a town about 2 hours away from home when I decided to stop for lunch. When I got back in and started the Jeep, it started a high-pitched humming sound (like when a car stereo isn't grounded properly). I was about 6 blocks from a dealership I saw on the way in, so I decided to head that way to check it out. About 2 blocks down the road I realized I could not gain another gear past 2nd. It jerked trying to grab 3rd, and the RPMs jumped. I decided to cruise on in since I was nearing the 3 block range. As I pull in to the parking spot the check engine light finally turns on. They check it out and said the code could only be a couple of things, and that it meant a transmission failure. They gave me a rental (a damn minivan...), and said it would be about a week. They said they had to drop the transmission and go through it, and were fairly certain it would be a blown seal of some sort. Their customer service was exceptional considering I didn't purchase from them. But, now I am wondering if I should keep the Jeep, and I love it!

I'm a little disappointed to hear this, as I'm very familiar with this transmission, that being the highly respectable ZF-8 which is very reliable and very well made. When, of course, built by ZF. Many of my BMW's had this tranny, and I loved it. Very fast, and very intelligent with it's shifting = i.e. NOT a lazy a tranny like the Chevy trannies in their trucks these days.

However, the big difference here is that Chrysler is under license from ZF, and manufactures/programs their own ZF-8(RE) trannies, so of course, that's a different manufacturer, and thus different quality control. Anyhow, more to read here if you want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

I've been enjoying the 8 speed in my Rubi. While It's not programmed exactly the same as my BMW's 8 speed, it seems to shift nearly as fast and as smooth, and also seems to behave itself well off-road holding gears like I'd want it to (non-manual mode). I do/did have high hopes for the reliability of this tranny as built for Chrysler.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I agree, I've really enjoyed my RAM/w it's 8-spd, for over two years-

Great shifter, especially in MANUAL !

JIMBO

Space ace

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
I'm a little disappointed to hear this, as I'm very familiar with this transmission, that being the highly respectable ZF-8 which is very reliable and very well made. When, of course, built by ZF. Many of my BMW's had this tranny, and I loved it. Very fast, and very intelligent with it's shifting = i.e. NOT a lazy a tranny like the Chevy trannies in their trucks these days.

However, the big difference here is that Chrysler is under license from ZF, and manufactures/programs their own ZF-8(RE) trannies, so of course, that's a different manufacturer, and thus different quality control. Anyhow, more to read here if you want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

I've been enjoying the 8 speed in my Rubi. While It's not programmed exactly the same as my BMW's 8 speed, it seems to shift nearly as fast and as smooth, and also seems to behave itself well off-road holding gears like I'd want it to (non-manual mode). I do/did have high hopes for the reliability of this tranny as built for Chrysler.
Don’t let one failure change your mind..

Sponsored

beerbrewer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram; 2014 T&C
After getting FCA's approval, the transmission assembly will be replaced and the old transmission will be sent back so the engineers can tear it down and determine why it failed; after retiring from the Army, I worked 17 years as warranty administrator at a CDJR dealership and in all that time never was a major component like an engine or transmission overhauled--they were always replaced; don't know if things have changed since I retired a second time in 2011.

dbrisson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU R
When My 2007 Cherokee SRT8 Transmission failed they had to rebuild it at the dealership, luckily I got rid of it before the xfer case failed.

So there is no stead fast replace route, really depends on the failure. Along with my JLU-R I have an 18 SRT8 again, hopefully that trans lasts longer. (30k so far on the SRT)

Probably will never put up an avatar, and will most likely only post problems, reports of issues or fixes of issues with the JLU-R, if it doesn't break posts will be limited

OP
OP

Hermo9er

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Fixed. Had to wipe controller software and reprogram. No mechanical failure was found. I hope this solves the issue long term.

Screenshot_20181228-112017_CamScanner.jpg

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Fixed. Had to wipe controller software and reprogram. No mechanical failure was found. I hope this solves the issue long term.

Screenshot_20181228-112017_CamScanner.jpg
Glad to hear, Josh. And that you're out of the minivan.
Sponsored