Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Flight Communications for Medical Helicopter
Vehicle Showcase
On Monday evening, December 27th while driving home from work with the cruise set at 70 mph in 2 wheel drive my 2018 JLU Sahara, Automatic Trans, 71,000 miles experienced a catastrophic failure of the transmission / transfer case that caused a fire under the Jeep. The engine started to rev up like the transmission was slipping really bad and then it backfired a few times before I could get the cruise off and get off the roadway. The Transmission and Transfer case have "Catastrophic Damage" according to the dealership. The rear drive shaft came apart and looks like the front one did also at some time. I had all of my service at the dealership that I purchased my Jeep from and had it serviced two weeks before.

The last time we were off road other then dirt / stone / forest roads was in March of 2019. I don't do rock crawling do to my age and medical condition. It's our exploring new places and taking new pictures vehicle.

Has anyone else experienced a complete failure? The dealership is trying to get out of it and the insurance company is not wanting to pay because they think it was a mechanical failure. Either way I'm without my beloved Jeep and no ending to this nightmare in sight.

#JeepCares @JeepCares
Sponsored

Last edited:

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
What did the stealership break when you were in there two weeks ago? If you ask them, they should be able to tell you, and that should resolve the problem…

Seriously, though… I smell a rat.
Jeep Wrangler JL Transmission / Transfer Case Failure and Fire DD0428FC-FEE6-41DB-85A3-313D5F3336F6

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Transmission fluid is indeed flammable, especially since it’s near a hot exhaust system.

No where in your post did you mention mileage on the 2018.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Please post pictures.

Drive shafts don't just come apart on the highway while on cruise control without it being a "shit your pants" event.

Transmission fluid will burn; so you could have had a leak that started the fire. The lines to the cooler could be a place to start looking.

OP
OP
harleypap57

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What did the stealership break when you were in there two weeks ago? If you ask them, they should be able to tell you, and that should resolve the problem…

Seriously, though… I smell a rat.
Jeep Wrangler JL Transmission / Transfer Case Failure and Fire DD0428FC-FEE6-41DB-85A3-313D5F3336F6
I can't get any information from them, that's why I'm pissed

Sponsored

OP
OP
harleypap57

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Transmission fluid is indeed flammable, especially since it’s near a hot exhaust system.

No where in your post did you mention mileage on the 2018.
It has 71,000 miles on it. 90% highway because it's 110 miles each way to work and home.

OP
OP
harleypap57

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Please post pictures.

Drive shafts don't just come apart on the highway while on cruise control without it being a "shit your pants" event.

Transmission fluid will burn; so you could have had a leak that started the fire. The lines to the cooler could be a place to start looking.
I only got a few pictures the night it happened and you really can't see much. I'll post them later this week. The fire didn't start, at least what I saw until it sounded like the transmission started slipping and the engine started to rev up some.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Steve, sorry about hearing this!!! def worse nightmare...specially since it was just worked on! venture to say it had something to do with their work. I hope you get it sorted and the dealership takes care of you. Do you have any kind of extended warranty? Although you shouldn't really need it ...transmission is supposed to be covered 5 years I thought? keep us informed I guess until you can't...Ie ...legality issues.

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Steve, sorry about hearing this!!! def worse nightmare...specially since it was just worked on! venture to say it had something to do with their work. I hope you get it sorted and the dealership takes care of you. Do you have any kind of extended warranty? Although you shouldn't really need it ...transmission is supposed to be covered 5 years I thought?
It’s 5 yr or 60k miles. The OP has 71k mi on the vehicle. What service did the vehicle receive at your last visit? Do you have the paperwork/receipt from that visit? Has the vehicle experienced any previous transmission-related issues and/or service/repairs?

OP
OP
harleypap57

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It’s 5 yr or 60k miles. The OP has 71k mi on the vehicle. What service did the vehicle receive at your last visit? Do you have the paperwork/receipt from that visit? Has the vehicle experienced any previous transmission-related issues and/or service/repairs?
I bought it off my lease in March of 2021 and it has an extended warranty bought at that time. I had normal oil change, lube and tire rotation done as it gets every few months. I work two hours from home so the last year I racked up a lot of highway miles. Never had any issues of any kind before this.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I hope you get this issue resolved. FCA has access to read the ECU History at time of failure. This would be helpful in getting your vehicle back repaired on their dime.

OP
OP
harleypap57

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Latest update: Rumor from the Insurance Adjuster is the Transmission / Transfer case failed internally and sprayed fluid on the exhaust which resulted in the fire. I tried calling the service desk twice and no answer or return call. The Insurance company did say they were issuing payment for some of the damage but I have not found out if Jeep is paying for the transmission, transfer case and drive shaft that were damaged. I did get a warranty when I bought the Jeep off lease in March. This is super frustrating since it's been almost a month. I guess I'll try calling next week again......