Sponsored

Audio Experts-Help Needed Mounting Sub

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Mods please dont move this thread. I posted this scenario in the Technical Section under Uconnect/Audio in thread "Upgrading non Alpine radio" and havent been able to solve my JLUS sub mounting challenge. I hope this gets more views and a solution.

Secenario: I bought a 8" jl audio
ACP108LG-W3v3 with built in amp and asked my installer to duplicate @cmb396 awesome tailgate mount shown below using the 6 screw holes already on the tailgate with the goal of taking up less trunk space like this:
ehzTnva.jpg

He took the plastic off the tailgate and said 6 mounting holes are spaced wide and the lower holes are recessed back atleast 1" requiring spacers to flush mount with the other holes. He could only access getting 2 bolts into screw holes working around the internal box frame/amp through the 8" hole cut out for the sub and didnt feel it would be a good long term anchor considering the box is made of 1/2" MDF. He also thought running large sub wiring through through a hinged area via the black sleave going to tailgate isnt ideal because of the bending of the wires every time the tailgate is opened. He said adding a mounting board would work, but that may block the whole plastic piece from connecting back to the tailgate exposing everything around the sub.(dont want that) @Sting_NC_USA was kind enough to draw this up below showing how metal or plywood mounting board could work:
pG0Z1EZ.jpg

HXhxKlW.png

I am having him lay the sub in the floor until I can get a solution. Any other ideas of different locations to mount this? The tailgate mount is also going to cost more bc he needs to add wiring to reach. I would actually prefer to mount it myself using the current wiring to save money. Here's the current location and I have about 3' of loose wire length left to move it.
Currently sitting here:
guq5rfg.jpg

Thanks alot for any help!
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I ended up building a mounting board on the side of trunk with a 2x6 and mounting there. I gave up on the tailgate mount due to not wanting to pay another $200 for wire + professional install. It sounds great with no vibrations. Looks like this:
skgRG3U.jpg

Purity’sPa

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
49465EBC-8D7D-4C48-9E89-93F9BE4A9A43.jpeg
E1DEBAE6-3067-4681-BC5F-339CBA1AD1FF.jpeg
Here is what my shop did for a 10” JL Audio
Amp rack where the factory sub was and a new Sun enclosure on the drivers side. There is a 750x1 and a 150x4 Marine Grade JL Audio amp
Behind the panel.

Maui-1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Amp rack where the factory sub was and a new Sun enclosure on the drivers side. There is a 750x1 and a 150x4 Marine Grade JL Audio amp
Behind the panel.
Thats nice! Do the freedom tops still fit in the bag across the back seat?

BlairF

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS-S Mojito! - 2014 Challenger RT Classic (SuperCharged) - 2016 Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Technology Incident Management
Vehicle Showcase
Behind the panel.
Who did the work? and guessing that would NOT work with a Tuffy security deck.

Sponsored

Purity’sPa

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thats nice! Do the freedom tops still fit in the bag across the back seat?
I always stack the Freedom tops on top mid one another in the cargo area. I never use the case. I’m not really concerned if they get a little tweaked. I take them off almost every day if the top isn’t off.

Purity’sPa

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Houston Car Stereo
It wasn’t cheap and they had a lot of issues integrating with the factory system. It’ll be a lot easier whenever the Alpine replacement deck is available.
It sounds pretty good but not sure the sound warranty the hefty price tag.
But as far as Houston Car Stereo goes, i can’t say enough positive about them. I’ve had systems in a bunch of vehicles during my life but this install was the most challenging for a lot of different reasons

Purity’sPa

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Houston Car Stereo
It wasn’t cheap and they had a lot of issues integrating with the factory system. It’ll be a lot easier whenever the Alpine replacement deck is available.
It sounds pretty good but not sure the sound warranty the hefty price tag.
But as far as Houston Car Stereo goes, i can’t say enough positive about them. I’ve had systems in a bunch of vehicles during my life but this install was the most challenging for a lot of different reasons
probablt not the Tuffy but I think it’ll work with the Vector GGB. I’ll let you know in a week or so.
Sponsored