Arizona pinstripes

CBR2200

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I just got the VIN on my JLUR 4xe that will hopefully be here next month and I could not be more excited! I'm new to offroading and have been watching everything I can on youtube about our AZ trails. I'm cringing at all the thorny bushes! How durable is the paint on Wranglers? Do I need paint protection film? What do you guys recommend to keep my Jeep looking new? (I'm not planning on rock crawling anytime soon, just easy to moderate trails)
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I just got the VIN on my JLUR 4xe that will hopefully be here next month and I could not be more excited! I'm new to offroading and have been watching everything I can on youtube about our AZ trails. I'm cringing at all the thorny bushes! How durable is the paint on Wranglers? Do I need paint protection film? What do you guys recommend to keep my Jeep looking new? (I'm not planning on rock crawling anytime soon, just easy to moderate trails)
Unfortunately here in AZ the mesquite and other brush and trees will give you pinstripes. On my 2019 I tried really, really hard to not get them. on my 2020 I just enjoyed the trails and did not worry about it. On wider trails, you will be ok and what you do get will buff out pf the paint. however, the hardtop and fenders and mirrors will show it and wont buff out. Just too much here that can scrape the sides, and trails that are narrow to avoid them. just go into it expecting them, and you will enjoy your trails much more.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Agree with what Cypher says. You really can't avoid it, so just be prepared to accept it.

The only thing I will say, if you have a soft top, take out the windows. I just recently got a soft top and have already scratched the windows on relatively wide trails. My hardtop is pretty well scratched up, but the glass doesn't show the carnage......the soft top windows will....

OP
OP
CBR2200

CBR2200

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
It's a hardtop so I guess my windows will be okay lol

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
It's a hardtop so I guess my windows will be okay lol
Another area to watch is the window seal trim. when it is really hot out that is known to scratch. I am actually ordering painted fenders this time as they actually seem harder and dont gouge as bad as the softer blaxk molded fenders. It seems it doesn't take much in the hot sun to put a decent scrape in the fenders. the mirrors were not as bad, and then hardtop next. if you use 303 on the hardtop it does a good job to hide the lighter ones. on the body I really dont bother trying to fix. I only buffed it out before selling as the tub etc. is thin and im not sure how many times it will take a deep buffing before the clear is shot. I do trim some trails still, but not like I used to. (some trails practically take 4-low to push through the brush etc. it feels like) I still cringe on those, but its because im afraid of a body crease, not pinstripes. (I creased my Grand Cherokee Trailhawk down the entire passenger side like this)

Sponsored

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
If you wheel in the Arizona lower elevations you’re going to hit some narrow two tracks trails and Az pin striping is inevitable.

On your first off road trip, break her in, most will buff out.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Embrace them with pride that she actually gets off-road! But....if you wanna do some pretty decent protection for your paint and minimize what you get from the narrow trails, I'd go with a decent ceramic coat that you can put on yourself. I use the "Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic" stuff that is like $15 a bottle and you can get most anywhere and it minimizes most of the pinstriping, though not all of it. Again, I like to clean her up well so she shines after wheeling but there isn't much you can do to eliminate all the striping. Enjoy!

konakona

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSD
Build Thread
Link
Grab a Adam’s polisher and their products. After years of abuse and deep pin striping on my old jku I did a cut and buff and the thing looked brand new. My JLU I don’t really give a crap any more
Sponsored