Arizona Trip

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Last year had planed a Jeep road trip with my daughter through Arizona over spring break. That was right when everything started shutting down in Austin, so we needed to cut the trip short after a few days in Tucson and head back home.

We are hoping to finish the rest of the trip this spring break. Looking to arrive in Phoenix on the 13th, spend a few days there then work our way to the South Rim. Between Phoenix and the South Rim will have 3-4 days we would check places out.

Daughter likes getting out hiking and hitting trails that are more scenic then difficult. Looking for recommendations of places to visit, trails to check out and/or offroad/Jeep groups in those areas that have members setting up group runs.

Photo is from last year, back side of Mount Lemon.

20200316_095921.jpg
Sponsored

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
Daughter likes getting out hiking and hitting trails that are more scenic then difficult. Looking for recommendations of places to visit, trails to check out and/or offroad/Jeep groups in those areas that have members setting up group runs.
May I suggest this excellent book:

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Arizona-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/1934838284/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=guide+to+arizona+backroads+&+4-wheel+drive+trails&qid=1614868302&sr=8-2

It includes trail ratings, maps, and GPS coordinates

Reactions: cmb

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Greetings! One of the big AZ groups is State 48 Jeepers (you can find on FB). There are runs every week and sometimes more than one. Not that far south of Phoenix is Box Canyon, a nice little run and depending on how you do it you can see and do different stuff.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

We will be there from the same week, but will be taking our Grand Cherokee as we are towing our camper. Planning on camping in Sedona. I may pick up the guide book to find some easy stuff to run.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cmb

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Greetings! One of the big AZ groups is State 48 Jeepers (you can find on FB). There are runs every week and sometimes more than one. Not that far south of Phoenix is Box Canyon, a nice little run and depending on how you do it you can see and do different stuff.
Thanks, just reached out to join the facebook group. That would be great, last year we were able to get hooked up with a group in Tucson and made a run they had going during out visit.

Box Canyon was one of the trails we were considering.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
We will be there from the same week, but will be taking our Grand Cherokee as we are towing our camper. Planning on camping in Sedona. I may pick up the guide book to find some easy stuff to run.
Schnebly Hill is a BoH one up in Sedona that offers some fantastic views. Broken Arrow is awesome but I wouldn't call it an easy trail. If you can get the permit, Soldier's Pass is somewhere inbetween and a lot of fun, you can drive up to a huge sink hole which is pretty awesome.

OP
OP
cmb

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure we will be in Sedona a few days. Will have the Rubi but really just planning on doing easy stuff. Still have to drive it back to Texas and the daughter is more a fan of the scenic type drives.

OP
OP
cmb

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schnebly Hill is a BoH one up in Sedona that offers some fantastic views. Broken Arrow is awesome but I wouldn't call it an easy trail. If you can get the permit, Soldier's Pass is somewhere inbetween and a lot of fun, you can drive up to a huge sink hole which is pretty awesome.
Thanks, will do some research on these. Will start getting a plan together over the next few days. This trip really just came up. Wasn't planning on doing anything over the kids spring back then a couple days ago my said why don't you take Megan back to AZ to finish the trip you started last year.
Sponsored