Sponsored

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Being I am an old guy Can some one explain to me the details of apple car play vs android car play? I know they are operating systems. I was checking out a chevy zr2 Colorado I think it had apple car play, not sure but it would not accept certain apps that run on my iPhone like Topo maps USA I have no sense of what android car play is. I am hoping it is like the Insane audio radios for Jeep JKs The unit has topo maps built it 256 gig of storage, is water proof shock proof and will accept any android app that you can download to a phone or tablet and it has an sd card slot. This is was I was going to do when my plans were to buy a 2017 recon I would get base radio and just swap it out. For me I like o have offload trails on a gps type device.
Now if they will just keep the price down enough so I can afford a JL otherwise it is a 2018 JKU ruby
Sponsored

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Being I am an old guy Can some one explain to me the details of apple car play vs android car play?
Apple Car Play basically repeats your iPhone's or iPad's screen, up onto the car's screen

Android Auto basically repeats your Android phone's or table's screen, up onto the car's screen.

With either, instead of pulling out your phone out to check something, or "touch" something, you can do it all right up on the car's screen the same way.

(I'm an old guy too)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Unfortunately, neither is quite mirroring the way WaltA described it. That would be nice and was the original plan of Audio Mfrs, with things like Mirror-Link, however that got all tied up in everyone's own value add and 3 different version of the idea including MHL which was very much a Home theatre and presentation implementation.

Unfortunately both Android Auto and Apple Car play are 'light' (ie crippled) versions of their OS environments, and only allow use of certain dumbed-down apps. Sofar it hasn't been satisfying if you expect an experience like your phone or tablet. However it's still a way better experience than the fiddley car mfrs own platforms, even though I would say Uconnect (based on Android and QNX) is among the better ones, it still is only partly as good as either Apple or Google's 'cleaner/simpler' environments, which themselves are still lesser than your phone or tablet.

Head Units like Insane Audio's are actually more of a full Android environment (you'll never get that from Apple, they like their walled garden... and so shall you !!) So IA's head-unit is essentially like having one of those home theatre GoogleBoxes in you car, and it allows it to act like an Android 4.x+ tablet essentially allowing both app download and greater linking options wih phones and tablets.

The stock units will never reach that level of sophistication, openness, and also vulnerability, but they will make the major integration points easy. You can alread download topo information and trail maps into some Android Auto implementations, and load basic info into Apple Car Play, but if you're expecting the full scale app imolementation of 3rd party map tools, it's going to be a big dissapointment.

The main reason to want these is for the usual calendar, map, suggestion, etc implementation, which is very good and very seemless on both platforms, however they are great because they do the common & basic stuff well, not the less common things.

A good brief description of both can be had from Google and Apple, and there are some OK comparisons (most from last yeaar when there were major releases), the next phase of Google's implementation which should be more flexible, and allow more 3rd party as well as Car OEM integration is likely to arrive next spring, and I look forward to seeing it at CES.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/android-auto-vs-apple-carplay-head-to-head/

There's also a ton of videos on YouTube comparing both and also showing how head units like Insane Audios are better. I'm gonna link to the Canadian one of course ;) although they do touch on maps first, and it's a rather quick but good look at both and fairly well done on fairly recent platform examples.

Their respective portals;

http://www.android.com/auto/

http://www.apple.com/ca/ios/carplay/

Personally I prefer a more customizable environment like InsaneAudio's but, I will make either OS' generic auto Platform do nearly what I want it to do, even if it ends up only being a car speaker for my canibaized Note 3 acting as a Torque Pro OBD-II reader and BackCountry app Map unit.

A lot of this for me will come down to Uconnects own features, like their built-in OBD-II reader app that was teased earlier for the JL, and their other features like Follow-me that ai mentioned earlier, and that the guys at CES last year seemed super amped about when we talked about Wrangler integration.

I still wish they woulda brought an option like the 12" Pursuit or 14" Maserati screens (still prefer the taller 12" though) for giant Trail Map GPS display. Unfortunately I know that like a Hemi they both may be the perfect fit, but neither will find their way into a stock Wrangler JL. :( :crying:

SOoo... we go with what we got instead... Which is still better than Sync ! :jk:

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I wonder how long it will be before IA gets a radio for the JL. I-wonder too if like the JKU recon you'll be able to find aJL rubicon with some sort of package like a recon and a base radio.
How hard will it be to swap one out?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Too early to tell.

Although, as IA doesn't have a model to replace the current 5/6.5/8.4" units in the Cherokee, GC, Compass, Rengade, RAM, etc. only the older dual-din decks from the JK, TJ and FJ; I am not confident that they are going to be offering something for the JL at launch or even soon after.

Sponsored

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Apple CarPlay is neat to see the first few times you use it but I don't find it that useful besides for using Apple or Google maps. And it's questionable if those are better than using the Uconnect navigation. Using the Uconnect nav you'll also get nav directions in the driver information display screen in between your gauges, which I don't think you get if using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

cluster.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
How good is the sound from the Insane Audio unit? I might consider one for my JK, but the stock Uconnect unit, to me, sounds great, so I don't want to lose that.

I'm looking forward to seeing what off-road features make it into the JL, and I'm hopeful they open Android Auto up a bit on it. I'd love to be able to use topo maps when off road on that big screen.

jedijeep

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU "Big Bear"
Looking forward to Apple Play... never have used it, so this will be awesome. However:

Using the Uconnect nav you'll also get nav directions in the driver information display screen in between your gauges, which I don't think you get if using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.
cluster.jpg
That is an awesome feature. My wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee has navigation and I use the NAV instructions in the driver information display all the time!

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
Looking forward to Apple Play... never have used it, so this will be awesome. However:

That is an awesome feature. My wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee has navigation and I use the NAV instructions in the driver information display all the time!
The best place placement for nav instructions is on a HUD head-up display, next best is in the information display screen like in Grand Cherokee. Having map/instructions on phone or uconnect screen takes your eyes from the road more.

A.Papi.K

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru WRX STI Limited Sedan
Occupation
Leasing Manager for Volkswagen.
Vehicle Showcase

Android Auto and Apple Car Play both give you traffic updates which the oem unit will not. Not in Canada at least, Unless you pay for that subscription, which is ridiculous.

Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I am hooked on Android Auto and now it's becoming standard on a lot of cars. GPS maps are not up to date and Google maps is much more accurate. Plus being able to OK Google driving down the road makes it easy.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
I wonder how long it will be before IA gets a radio for the JL. I-wonder too if like the JKU recon you'll be able to find aJL rubicon with some sort of package like a recon and a base radio.
How hard will it be to swap one out?
You can always order it your way. Get exactly what you want. I always order my vehicles. I'm patient.

I think The Great Grape Ape said to find dealer that could order individual options instead of the packaged options. This was news to me.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
I agree Apple Car Play is limited. I generally blue tooth my music from my iPhone to my Jeeps' Stereo (Pioneer AVIC-4200NEX). The only time I plug my phone into the radio is when I am expecting texts. I too am an old guy, so I don't get a lot of texts (OK with me. ) :). Audio quality is better when plugged in, but too often I forget to unplug my phone and put it in my pocket when I exit the Jeep.

For NAV I use a Garmin, with lifetime free map updates, but it doesn't give real time traffic updates, so I should try to learn Apples Map. I don't think I can get Google maps on my Car Play screen.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
How good is the sound from the Insane Audio unit? I might consider one for my JK, but the stock Uconnect unit, to me, sounds great, so I don't want to lose that.

I'm looking forward to seeing what off-road features make it into the JL, and I'm hopeful they open Android Auto up a bit on it. I'd love to be able to use topo maps when off road on that big screen.
Too maps would be a really useful feature, my understanding of the U Connect system in my wife's Ram is that it is Garmin. It's features are pretty much identical to the Garmin Nuvi systems we have already but being built in with a much larger screen is incredibly useful and as Dackel mentions having nav straight ahead in the cluster is great. One thing I don't like with the Ram's U Connect is that the screen is not angled towards the driver but is instead flat so it's not quite as easy to see.

Not sure how much the head unit will affect the sound in the Jeep, it's really the speakers that are the determining factor IMHO.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I've had mixed luck with Google maps, personally I found them inaccurate in terms of house/building numbers but that might be something localized to Canada. As I mentioned we have Garmin stand alone GPS units which I can update via an app on my MacBook and they are very accurate. In car I would say is always a lot more challenging, the nav system in our Caravan for example which is based on a DVD that you insert and pay big $$ for updates which were written to a new DVD. Cost as much for one update as it did for my Garmin Nuvi which has free lifetime map updates and lifetime traffic. Which is why I never bothered with updates for the built in system and bought Nuvi's for both of our daily drivers.

When we picked up the Ram I asked the dealer about map updates and it felt like they wanted us to do them through their service dept which = $$$. With my Garmin Nuvi's I have lifetime maps and traffic (coded on units as LMT) just hook up to my laptop via a USB cable and run the app. I have not looked into this further I would have hoped that we could have done updates via the USB port in the truck.

The other feature I find very useful with the built in GPS in the Ram is doing a point of interest search, for example if I want to find a specific business such as Denny's or grocery store I can type of say the name and it brings up hits on the screen. The other bonus is that typically I get a phone number as well and if I've paired my phone with the system I can just tap the number on the screen and the system places a handsfree call.

Our Garmin Nuvi's also have this feature though not the Bluetooth tethering so I have to physically input the number on the phone.
Sponsored