Sponsored

Apple CarPlay good - Android Auto not good!

Gunsmith

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR Recon, 2000 BMW R1000RT
Occupation
Mostly retired gunsmith
I can't get Android Auto to connect to my new Rubicon with the 7" screen. But, my wife connected her Apple phone to the Jeep to just charge it and the CarPlay icon appeared on the radio screen and CarPlay maps, etc. appeared on the screen. My phone is an Android Samsung Note 8 with up to date software upgrades. I tried both USB ports.
I hope that someone can help my figure this problem out.
Sponsored

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Try a different usb-c cable. There are different spec cables, some just charge, some pass data. You need a data-capable cable to use Android Auto. Most c-c cables should work, a-c cables are a mixed bag. Usually the cable that came with the phone will work.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, surpisingly, cables make a difference, and it's not just power-only versus data cables. I tried different data cables in my Jeep and they all can't prevent disconnection, but some are better at keeping the connection than others. I don't think it's just the cable, I think it's a combination of cable, firmware, phone hardware, and Unconnect [sic].

The combo I have working in my 2020 Sahara with an LG V20 phone is
This cable and one of these right angle adapters on USB1.

I still get disconnects, but they are infrequent. Good luck.

OP
OP
Gunsmith

Gunsmith

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR Recon, 2000 BMW R1000RT
Occupation
Mostly retired gunsmith
Yes, surpisingly, cables make a difference, and it's not just power-only versus data cables. I tried different data cables in my Jeep and they all can't prevent disconnection, but some are better at keeping the connection than others. I don't think it's just the cable, I think it's a combination of cable, firmware, phone hardware, and Unconnect [sic].

The combo I have working in my 2020 Sahara with an LG V20 phone is
This cable and one of these right angle adapters on USB1.

I still get disconnects, but they are infrequent. Good luck.
Thank you!
Sponsored